sanity check - upgrade parity & drop xtra data drives

weirdcrap
Go to solution Solved by ChatNoir,

I'm wanting to both upgrade my parity drive as well as remove two data drives that I've emptied. The end goal being transplanting my array to a 4u rack case instead of the tower its in now.

Can I simply use new config (retain current config) and assign the new parity drive, remove the old one, and remove the two disks I no longer need in one fell swoop? Can I also reorder the drives to fill in the empty slots by the removed drives? It shouldn't matter right since I've already invalidated parity?

Edited by weirdcrap
  • Solution
8 hours ago, weirdcrap said:

Can I simply use new config (retain current config) and assign the new parity drive, remove the old one, and remove the two disks I no longer need in one fell swoop? Can I also reorder the drives to fill in the empty slots by the removed drives? It shouldn't matter right since I've already invalidated parity?

Yes to all the questions.

If you replace parity anyway, you can change the drive order.

In any case, only Parity2 is taking drive order in parity calculation, so by itself, changing drive order would not invalidate Parity (1).

Obviously be extra careful not to assign a data drive to the Parity Slot.

7 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Yes to all the questions.

If you replace parity anyway, you can change the drive order.

In any case, only Parity2 is taking drive order in parity calculation, so by itself, changing drive order would not invalidate Parity (1).

Obviously be extra careful not to assign a data drive to the Parity Slot.

Excellent, glad I was right on the money.

Thanks for the info about parity 2, I do plan on adding a second parity drive given how many disks I have in the array. I don't often shuffle drive orderings but its good to know I'll need to be extra careful once I add the second disk.

• Like 1