Single Parity, Dual Disk failures, Rebuild Possible?

bdcmrt07
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi all, a couple of weeks ago I started hearing clicking sounds from my server but in hindsight didn't react quickly enough. When i logged into my tower I had a flood of disk error notifications  Specifically, Disk 3 was disabled and contents emulated. When i look at the S.M.A.R.T summary it shows "FAILING NOW" and indicates that bad sectors have been reallocated for this disk3. I thought the clicking sound was this "disk3" hard drive.  A couple of days ago i login again now to see my logs flooded with errors for Disk 4. My disks were all spun down (disk 3 still disabled but contents emulated), and a red x next to disk 3 and 4. The logs shows disk 4 errors but i cannot pull any S.M.A.R.T information or acces the disk at all. I stopped the array and shut down the server to look at the hardware.  When i open up my tower i confirmed the clicking is actually coming from disk 4. This disk4 i have confirmed now is dead. No matter what i do Unraid will not recognize this disk 4 and will not allow me to start the array. It just says "missing" next to disk 4. It doesn't appear in the drop down menu for me to select even. In terms of what caused both drives to fail i will assume it's a power surge issue as i am not connected to a power surge protector and we have had outages this summer. 

So now i would love your help in how i can move forward. I have 1 parity drive and 5 data drives (now only 3 good ones apparently). How can i replace these disks and rebuild the array. Is the data on Disk 3 (disabled but contents emulated) still recoverable? I've cut my losses for disk4. My thinking is that I replace the dead drive (disk 4) and see if i can rebuild the array with what's remaining on the other disks. I am scared though as disk 3 is already disabled with bad sectors so i'm not even sure if it will let me. I feel like i've lost 2 drives worth of data here. Would really appreciate your help and guidance on how to proceed with this!

Current Disk Setup attached for your consideration. 

PXL_20220929_001646636_2.jpg

Okay, I've read that post and trying to lay out the steps. Please excuse my ignorance as I don't okay around with unraid frequently.  I picked up a replacement disk for disk 3 and I've got ddrescue running now. Once that is done that essentially becomes the new disk3 which had the bad sectors. So I'd now shut down the system. Remove the old disk3, do a new configuration, assign this new replacement disk as disk 3 and rebuild the array? That essentially salvages whatever I had on disk 3. So because parity is still fine the thinking is that it would be able to rebuild the contents of the dead disk 4? Would I need to add another replacement disk for disk4 or will it rebuild from parity with the existing disks? 

22 minutes ago, bdcmrt07 said:

Would I need to add another replacement disk for disk4 or will it rebuild from parity with the existing disks? 

You need a replacement for disk4 since apparently it's dead, same size or larger than the old disk.

Once ddrescue finishes post the results and I can post the detailed instructions for your case.

I can't tell if this process is still going....i entered this command "ddrescue -f /dev/sdh /dev/sdc /boot/ddrescue.log" and left it to run but looks like it either completed or timed out when my pc went to sleep...i issued this command again in the terminal and it started..i went away and came back and after a cpl hours and the terminal is blank just back at root...it does look like it wrote something as i see writes to the disk...is there any way to tell if this finished? Should i issue the command again (I'll change my laptop to not sleep, i don't know why that would cause the terminal to end though) ? Thank you kindly for your time and assistance. 

New Disk3.JPG

root capture.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20220930-1634.zip

Okay i've got a question here...This is at 71.33% now...but i was looking at processes in Unraid and i noticed there are 2 of these processes running.....I've only got 1 terminal open unless when i used screen the other one kept running in the background??? I can see different Start dates for both processes...did i mess up here and that's why this is taking so long? However with that said...it's been going faster the last couple of hours...up 10% in one hour and i haven't touched anything....

ddrescue processes.JPG

ddrescue progress.JPG

Edited by bdcmrt07

Process has completed...please see attached. (Both instances are gone from processes now). Just to recap where we're at now....

-Single Parity

-Both Disk3 and Disk4 are listed as disabled, contents emulated. 

- Disk4 is "missing" because i physically removed it. This is the one that was clicking and i couldn't get UNRAID to recognize it.

-Bought a replacement disk (sdc) and ran ddrescue to rescue contents from disk3. DDrescue process now finished. 

Please assist me with step by step instructions on how to proceed further! Many thanks for the attention and assistance!

DDRESCUE Complete.JPG

Current Array.JPG

New Destination Disk.JPG

12 minutes ago, bdcmrt07 said:

You mentioned it could be larger than the original right?

Yes same size or larger, initially and to get the emulated disk you can even use a known bad disk in that slot, as long as it's detected, still needs to be same size or larger, but then you need a good one to rebuild.