[PLUG-IN] NerdTools


Recommended Posts

unknown.thumb.png.13384e9fc2d0fed80dc5ad8d759479d4.png

 

NerdTools is the new plugin that allows you to install additional packages in UnRAID easily. This project is based on the old NerdPack plugin but has received many improvements and important changes.

 

For example the package installation now takes advantage of the benefits of UnRAID 6.11 and install packages in the path /boot/extra and delegating part of the management to the system itself.

 

Repo: https://github.com/UnRAIDES/plugin-UnRAID

PlugIn: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UnRAIDES/unRAID-NerdTools/main/plugin/NerdTools.plg 

 

Enjoy!

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, DuzAwe said:

Hey ich77, is this for me or the Plugin? I already have power-top from slackware pkgs installed. Just be nice to have it in the plugin

What version do you have? powertop-2.15 was released a week back and I've recompiled it for Slackware 15, just a heads up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

love nerdtools/nerdpack, glad it's coming back.

 

I only have tmux and screen enabled and both are up-to-date matching the GitHub files but both say update ready even after I've updated.

 

Also, is there a preferred process to request some of the missing packages that were available in 6.10? or are you in the process of vetting them to be re-added?

 

thank you,

-Dan 
 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, danringer said:

love nerdtools/nerdpack, glad it's coming back.

 

I only have tmux and screen enabled and both are up-to-date matching the GitHub files but both say update ready even after I've updated.

 

Also, is there a preferred process to request some of the missing packages that were available in 6.10? or are you in the process of vetting them to be re-added?

 

thank you,

-Dan 
 

 

yes, we are in the process of updating the packages that existed in the previous version to add them to the new updated version

Link to comment
1 hour ago, ZappyZap said:

is this better than un-get ?

can both leave together or i should un-install un-get and intall this one... ?
i mean i like unget as i can main maintain my own package repo 
 

I would also be curious if ich777 plans on continuing to maintain un-get or if I should switch to this.

 

Can we get a brief breakdown of what improvements are in this new plugin? Does it just pull stuff from the slackware repo like ich's plugin or does it also include things that require compiling?

 

  

38 minutes ago, thestraycat said:

Any chance we can add EXIFTOOL to Nerdtools? Nerdpack had it bundled in and i'm now super reliant on it... I've had to roll back for the time being just to get it back :(

Is there a better way/process to request packages to be re-added?

In the meantime you can always just place the package file in /boot/extra so you can stay on 6.11

Edited by weirdcrap
Link to comment

Hello and thank you for release this new plugin.

I have installed it and for some reason, all the txz packages that I put it manually on my /boot/extra directore were deleted. 

I checked the .plg code and i noticed these lines:

 

<!--
The 'remove' script.
-->
<FILE Run="/bin/bash" Method="remove">
<INLINE>

removepkg &plgPATH;/&plgNAME;.txz
rm -rf &emhttp;
rm -f &plgPATH;/&plgNAME;.txz

removepkg /boot/extra/*_nerdtools.txz 1>/dev/null
rm -f /boot/exta/*_nerdtools.txz 1>/dev/null

echo ""
echo "-----------------------------------------------------------"
echo " &name; has been removed."
echo " Copyright 2022, &author;"
echo " Credits, based on NerdPack plugin of dmacias72, eschultz"		
echo " Version: &version;"
echo "-----------------------------------------------------------"
echo ""
</INLINE>
</FILE>

 

Does this means that every time that the nerdtools upgrade or run all the packages that were not installed by this pluggin are gonna be deleted?

If this is true, I will have to copy/paste my own apps with every nerdpack upgrade? I understand that a workarround would be rename my own packages with the "_nerdtools.txz" name but... I would prefer to avoid doing weird things on my server....

Edited by Juanzilla
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weirdcrap said:

I would also be curious if ich777 plans on continuing to maintain un-get or if I should switch to this.

Why not, un-get doesn't need to be maintained that much since it pulls the packages from the appropriate repository and the user (you) can simply change the repository with the sources.list file too if Slackware 16 (or similar) is released... :)

 

I really don't want to create a thread here on the forums for un-get since it's really meant for advanced users but it is not that complicated, at least I think it's not that complicated... :D

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Juanzilla said:

Does this means that every time that the nerdtools upgrade or run all the packages that were not installed by this pluggin are gonna be deleted?

No, this is just the removal routine from the plugin if you delete it:

3 minutes ago, Juanzilla said:
<!--
The 'remove' script.
-->

 

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, ZappyZap said:

can both leave together or i should un-install un-get and intall this one... ?

I don't think you can do that because from what I understand this plugin installs all packages with the extension "_nerdtools.txz" to the /boot/extra folder and if you install a package through un-get and then through this plugin you basically install it twice on boot, as long as it's the same package nothing should be harmed.

 

However you should be able to run both if you are really careful which packages you install where...

Link to comment
57 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I don't think you can do that because from what I understand this plugin installs all packages with the extension "_nerdtools.txz" to the /boot/extra folder and if you install a package through un-get and then through this plugin you basically install it twice on boot, as long as it's the same package nothing should be harmed.

 

However you should be able to run both if you are really careful which packages you install where...

 

It shouldn't, in my tests I always kept packages in that path and never delete anything, those lines only delete packages that end with the name _nerdtools.txz

Link to comment
59 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I don't think you can do that because from what I understand this plugin installs all packages with the extension "_nerdtools.txz" to the /boot/extra folder and if you install a package through un-get and then through this plugin you basically install it twice on boot, as long as it's the same package nothing should be harmed.

 

However you should be able to run both if you are really careful which packages you install where...

 

We also carry out these tests and in principle install one version and if you have an updated one, install the other and when uninstalling, try to uninstall the nerdtools version, if there is another one, it stays

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, jsavargas said:

It shouldn't, in my tests I always kept packages in that path and never delete anything, those lines only delete packages that end with the name _nerdtools.txz

Exactly, but you should quote the other user.

 

13 minutes ago, jsavargas said:

We also carry out these tests and in principle install one version and if you have an updated one, install the other and when uninstalling, try to uninstall the nerdtools version, if there is another one, it stays

He meant if Nerdtools is compatible with un-get and vice versa, nothing to do with updates.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Why not, un-get doesn't need to be maintained that much since it pulls the packages from the appropriate repository and the user (you) can simply change the repository with the sources.list file too if Slackware 16 (or similar) is released... :)

 

I really don't want to create a thread here on the forums for un-get since it's really meant for advanced users but it is not that complicated, at least I think it's not that complicated... :D

 

un-get is a docker? do you have the link to take a look

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.