[PLUG-IN] NerdTools

I also opened up a issue on the GitHub Repo but I think it may be favorable to document how a package can be added to the plugin.

With this, the community could do the heavy lifting of finding and maybe even compiling the packages and adding packages would go faster.

Of course this introduces the problem of verifying that a package wasn't modified from the source. For that I propose that for packages that were already found compiled, the link to the checksum could be given (so not the checksum directly but the link of where to find the checksum in combination with the package itself) to verify the package.

For packages that need to be compiled manually because they are not available in the public package lists, I propose, instead of adding the compiled package directly, which can't be easily verified, to open a Issue with the necessary commands to compile it. So that would be the commands to download the source, extract it, build and compile the package, and package it again for the plugin.

Link to the issue

12 hours ago, maxwai said:

I also opened up a issue on the GitHub Repo but I think it may be favorable to document how a package can be added to the plugin.

With this, the community could do the heavy lifting of finding and maybe even compiling the packages and adding packages would go faster.

Of course this introduces the problem of verifying that a package wasn't modified from the source. For that I propose that for packages that were already found compiled, the link to the checksum could be given (so not the checksum directly but the link of where to find the checksum in combination with the package itself) to verify the package.

For packages that need to be compiled manually because they are not available in the public package lists, I propose, instead of adding the compiled package directly, which can't be easily verified, to open a Issue with the necessary commands to compile it. So that would be the commands to download the source, extract it, build and compile the package, and package it again for the plugin.

Link to the issue

This seems to me the best solution to create new and safe packages.

Thank you

8 hours ago, jsavargas said:

Do I need to add those dependencies?

I think it would be a good Idea for others that need to use the tool to recover xfs files. I was able move the drive to a second server that had them already so I could use it. They were included included in NerdPack. Thanks for the great work!

On 10/16/2022 at 9:16 AM, jsavargas said:

What does wget2 do?  I imagine it's an improved alternative to wget, have you tried axel?

https://github.com/rockdaboot/wget2

It's the successor to the original wget. It's multi-threaded and recursive.

Axel downloads 1 file in parallel to download 1 file faster.

Wget2 downloads multiple files at a time recursively.

Different use case.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Very glad to see it being maintained. Much appreciated, thanks.

I have a whole bunch of scripts which use netcat "nc" to send hand-crafted TCP streams to a target TCP socket across the network.

It's specifically for some automated LED lighting which is pre-tasmota. I had to reverse-engineer the commands to set colour, brightness etc. so these are sent using "nc"

That doesn't appear to be in the current release of Nerdtools, unless it's hiding in a package...

Is it hiding, or can I request it please?

(or get some hints as to how to install it please?)

Can't upgrade to 6.11 without it.

Thanks in antici....pation.

sdd

• Upvote 1

I have a few requests for your consideration.

First, I would really like to have the latest fish shell version included. I'm using the version from Masterwishx because they're a hero, but it would be even better if this was integrated.

Secondly, a couple of packages that I like which aren't on the Modern Unix list:

• croccroc is a tool that allows any two computers to simply and securely transfer files and folders.
  • micromicro is a terminal-based text editor that aims to be easy to use and intuitive, while also taking advantage of the capabilities of modern terminals. It comes as a single, batteries-included, static binary with no dependencies; you can download and use it right now!

• neovim: "Agressively refactored vim"

Finally, let me link the contents of the (IMO) excellent Modern Unix list, with my personal thoughts in (parens). Items that are already in NerdTools are omitted. Of these, I would call bat, fd, ripgrep, sd, and zoxide my "essential" packages.

• bat: A cat clone with syntax highlighting and Git integration.
  • exa: A modern replacement for ls.
  • lsd: The next gen file listing command. Backwards compatible with ls. (Personally I prefer lsd to exa but they both are stepping in to the same role)

• delta: A viewer for git and diff output.

• dust: A more intuitive version of du written in rust.

• duf: A better df alternative.

• broot: A new way to see and navigate directory trees

• fd: A simple, fast and user-friendly alternative to find. (This one beats the pants off of find in many cases)

• ripgrep: An extremely fast alternative to grep that respects your gitignore.

• ag: A code searching tool similar to ack, but faster.

• mcfly: Fly through your shell history. Great Scott!

• choose: A human-friendly and fast alternative to cut and (sometimes) awk.

• jqsed for JSON data.

• sd: An intuitive find & replace CLI (sed alternative). (Holy smackerel this thing slaps)

• cheat: Create and view interactive cheatsheets on the command-line.

• tldr: A community effort to simplify man pages with practical examples. (There are actually a number of implementations of this, tldr++ and tealdeer being some of the best imo)

• bottom: Yet another cross-platform graphical process/system monitor.

• glances: Glances an Eye on your system. A top/htop alternative for GNU/Linux, BSD, Mac OS and Windows operating systems.

• gtop: System monitoring dashboard for terminal.

• hyperfine: A command-line benchmarking tool.

• gping: ping, but with a graph.

• procs: A modern replacement for ps written in Rust.

• httpie: A modern, user-friendly command-line HTTP client for the API era.

• curlie: The power of curl, the ease of use of httpie.

• xh: A friendly and fast tool for sending HTTP requests. It reimplements as much as possible of HTTPie's excellent design, with a focus on improved performance.

• zoxide: A smarter cd command inspired by z. (I LOVE THIS ONE. Seriously any z jump implementation would be incredible, esp since we can define the database location to be on a persistent share. Makes your life so much easier.)

• dog: A user-friendly command-line DNS client. dig on steroids

• Upvote 1