Needed 'Active Directory' Section on the Forum

I believe there needs to be an   Active Directory   Section on the Forum.  My reasoning for this is that there appears to be an increasing interest in adding Unraid servers to environments where AD is currently used.  This appears to be in situations like small offices and schools where IT resources are scarce.

Many of us who provide support on the forum have little to no experience with AD.  Requests for assistance often appear in the General Support, where they tend to get lost in the larger picture.   Furthermore, it appears that this interest from a market segment, where typical home networking security and management methods are inadequate but larger enterprise solutions are not economically viable, is a niche that Unraid might be able to fill.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I got a WS19 VM managing my AD across all my home network & there are many things that I could ask around for help to fix or i can provide some modest help with, in short yes I think we need an AD section.

I'm actually surprised it was even mentioned here, I thought AD is frowned upon in the IT community. I do not work in the IT field, its just a hobby.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 5:25 AM, Frank1940 said:

I believe there needs to be an   Active Directory   Section on the Forum.  My reasoning for this is that there appears to be an increasing interest in adding Unraid servers to environments where AD is currently used.  This appears to be in situations like small offices and schools where IT resources are scarce.

Many of us who provide support on the forum have little to no experience with AD.  Requests for assistance often appear in the General Support, where they tend to get lost in the larger picture.   Furthermore, it appears that this interest from a market segment, where typical home networking security and management methods are inadequate but larger enterprise solutions are not economically viable, is a niche that Unraid might be able to fill.  

Do you have any suggestions on where such a sub-forum should live?

Having a bit of time to think about this suggestion since I first requested it, I would like to purpose a bit of expansion.  

Let's consider creating an Section under the 'Unraid OS 6 Support' topic area and call it something  'Network Protocol Support' or, perhaps, 'Network Protocol Support and Integration'.  Under that section, let's start out with two sub-forums.  One for 'Active Directory Integration' and the second for 'MacOS/SMB Integration'.  Both of these areas seem to have a fair number of users who are having difficulties getting things working correctly.  Their searches for solutions and requests for help tend to get lost in the larger mass of the traditional problems and most of us who provide assistance to the traditional problems often have no experience with.  I also think that the Gurus who could provide help in these areas (particularly, Active Directory) are busy people who don't have the time to devote to the forum assisting folks with USB drives that have gone belly-up.  I am hoping that the Gurus might take the time to help out in their area of expertise if they only had to scan a sub-forum devoted to that topic.

It could become necessary to add a third one in the future if there are enough problems with NFS integration.   I have not seen a lot of activity about issues the NFS/Linux setups at this point in time but it might become an issue in the future.  

By the way, I don't think we need to add an sub-forum for those users who are using SMB in the peer-to-peer SMB home networking setup.  That PDF document that I put together on how to set it up using modern Windows/SMB security practices seems to have solved most of the issues there.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, SpencerJ said:

Do you have any suggestions on where such a sub-forum should live?

I used to use Active Directory on my UNRAID system around 2010-2015 it was the main reason I originally purchased my PRO key.   There used to be a sub forum location for AD on UNRAID 4.5 and suggest that this sub forum that used to exist be reopened and renamed and used as the location.   

• Like 1
On 10/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, Frank1940 said:

Having a bit of time to think about this suggestion since I first requested it, I would like to purpose a bit of expansion.  

Let's consider creating an Section under the 'Unraid OS 6 Support' topic area and call it something  'Network Protocol Support' or, perhaps, 'Network Protocol Support and Integration'.  Under that section, let's start out with two sub-forums.  One for 'Active Directory Integration' and the second for 'MacOS/SMB Integration'.  Both of these areas seem to have a fair number of users who are having difficulties getting things working correctly.  Their searches for solutions and requests for help tend to get lost in the larger mass of the traditional problems and most of us who provide assistance to the traditional problems often have no experience with.  I also think that the Gurus who could provide help in these areas (particularly, Active Directory) are busy people who don't have the time to devote to the forum assisting folks with USB drives that have gone belly-up.  I am hoping that the Gurus might take the time to help out in their area of expertise if they only had to scan a sub-forum devoted to that topic.

It could become necessary to add a third one in the future if there are enough problems with NFS integration.   I have not seen a lot of activity about issues the NFS/Linux setups at this point in time but it might become an issue in the future.  

By the way, I don't think we need to add an sub-forum for those users who are using SMB in the peer-to-peer SMB home networking setup.  That PDF document that I put together on how to set it up using modern Windows/SMB security practices seems to have solved most of the issues there.  

On 10/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, bing281 said:

I believe this should be a sub forum folder under General Support for AD / SMB / NFS / Apple Timemachine 

I would also have this be the place that any new future SSO or login / credential support is located.   

Ok, thanks for your feedback. I have added these here: https://forums.unraid.net/forum/101-network-protocol-support/

Please let me know if I can do more to improve the forums!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1