Unraid OS version 6.11.1 available

Can we please get some official documentation on how to mount Unraid directly into Windows and Linux VMs with Virtiofs?  Documentation is all over the place and I'm having to piece together info from different sources and sometimes from sources years old.

Seems a shame to specifically mention it as a feature update and not tell us how to use it.

• Upvote 4
On 10/7/2022 at 1:31 AM, SimonF said:

For windows you need to install additional parts on  the guest. https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-windows.html

For a linux guest you just mount the share   sudo mount -t virtiofs unraidshare /mnt/unraiddata/

I'm having nothing but problems getting this to work on Linux (I haven't tried Windows yet because of all the other requirements).  When I try these commands I get a "mount point does not exist in terminal."

7 minutes ago, aidenpryde said:

I'm having nothing but problems getting this to work on Linux (I haven't tried Windows yet because of all the other requirements).  When I try these commands I get a "mount point does not exist in terminal."

I can get it mounted in linux and write permissions seem to work as well. I just wish it would work for Steam/Proton games - I think flock or symlink functionality might not be working.

Here's my config.

I have this in my VM XML (memoryBacking also has hugepages but I've removed it from here):

<memoryBacking>
    <source type='memfd'/>
    <access mode='shared'/>
  </memoryBacking>

<filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <driver type='virtiofs' queue='1024'/>
      <binary path='/usr/libexec/virtiofsd' xattr='on'>
        <cache mode='always'/>
        <sandbox mode='chroot'/>
        <lock posix='on' flock='on'/>
      </binary>
      <source dir='/mnt/user/'/>
      <target dir='shares'/>
      <alias name='fs0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </filesystem>

And the following in my /etc/fstab in my VM:

shares /mnt/unraid virtiofs 0 0

NB: You must create /mnt/unraid first in the VM.

1 hour ago, ross232 said:

I can get it mounted in linux and write permissions seem to work as well. I just wish it would work for Steam/Proton games - I think flock or symlink functionality might not be working.

Here's my config.

I have this in my VM XML (memoryBacking also has hugepages but I've removed it from here):

<memoryBacking>
    <source type='memfd'/>
    <access mode='shared'/>
  </memoryBacking>

<filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <driver type='virtiofs' queue='1024'/>
      <binary path='/usr/libexec/virtiofsd' xattr='on'>
        <cache mode='always'/>
        <sandbox mode='chroot'/>
        <lock posix='on' flock='on'/>
      </binary>
      <source dir='/mnt/user/'/>
      <target dir='shares'/>
      <alias name='fs0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </filesystem>

And the following in my /etc/fstab in my VM:

shares /mnt/unraid virtiofs 0 0

NB: You must create /mnt/unraid first in the VM.

Yeah I've broken two Linux vms adding "media /mnt/users/media virtiofs 0 0" to /etc/fstab.  Dunno why that's not working.  Says "failed to mount /mnt/user/media" on startup.  If I remove them from fstab at startup it works again.

It won't let me edit the xml anymore in Unraid either.  ie to add the memoryBacking or <alias name> sections.

I also don't know what you mean by "NB: You must create /mnt/unraid first in the VM."

Edited by aidenpryde
8 hours ago, aidenpryde said:

Can we please get some official documentation on how to mount Unraid directly into Windows and Linux VMs with Virtiofs?  Documentation is all over the place and I'm having to piece together info from different sources and sometimes from sources years old.

Seems a shame to specifically mention it as a feature update and not tell us how to use it.

The feature has been available since 6.10beta35 but option to use the GUI was added in 6.11.1

for linux you need to create a mount point in the VM and then mount it.

image.png.268e2d09b36edc44db97243338b4b491.png

guest# mount -t virtiofs myfs /mnt

image.thumb.png.1c23bed9d4b7eb14b058c4eaf5c7050d.png

Windows is a bit more complex as you need to load additional software.

Follow this https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-windows.html But the step of loading mass storage driver I didn't have to do this step.

Note there are reports of VMs locking up when using Virtiofs but I dont experience this on my systems so far.

• Like 2
On 10/12/2022 at 7:36 AM, ross232 said:

Does anyone have virtiofs working with Steam games? Specifically those that use Proton?

I can't launch games when I do it I get 'OSError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported'.

Non proton games seem to work OK.

Virtiofs is CASE SENSITIVE and there is no case insensitive option to use with Windows yet to my knowledge. This could cause issues if code in a game is referring to something.dll, but the file you actually have is something.DLL. Its possible that's what you are running into.

Edited by johnsanc
  • Thanks 1
On 10/13/2022 at 3:35 PM, SimonF said:

The feature has been available since 6.10beta35 but option to use the GUI was added in 6.11.1

for linux you need to create a mount point in the VM and then mount it.

image.png.268e2d09b36edc44db97243338b4b491.png

guest# mount -t virtiofs myfs /mnt

image.thumb.png.1c23bed9d4b7eb14b058c4eaf5c7050d.png

Windows is a bit more complex as you need to load additional software.

Follow this https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-windows.html But the step of loading mass storage driver I didn't have to do this step.

Note there are reports of VMs locking up when using Virtiofs but I dont experience this on my systems so far.

Thanks, I think I've got it working, though it doesn't automount.

I know I need to edit the /etc/fstab file with nano, but I'm reading different instructions from different sources.

edit: after a restart/logout when I go back in and navigate to the mounted directory, it's empty, unlike the first time I mounted it.

Edited by aidenpryde
On 10/7/2022 at 2:32 PM, bkingsolver said:

One other issue after upgrading to 6.11.1:

image.png.6d293d7364f2b8ab214f83a08ff95e41.png

This affects both my Windows 10 and Windows 11 (both using OVFM TPM). I tried to create a new VM from scratch with OVMF TPM and it failed with the same error on first start. I saved diagnostics, reverted, and things are fine. Should I file a bug report on this?

Follow this bug report for possible solution 

On 10/13/2022 at 11:18 AM, Lolight said:

I'd guess it's impossible to say for sure until someone actually tries it.

Do you plan to purchase one?

Together with a controller card, Mellanox 4 I think, it will do double speed vs. traditional Sata drives. Since it is more than a year since it launched, I wondered if Linux supported it. 

Yes, if Supported in Unraid with double speed I might. 

https://www.storagereview.com/news/seagate-exos-2x14-hdd-delivers-524mb-s

Upgrade from 6.9.2 to 6.11.1 stuck at bzroot, now what?

Tried the UnRaid GUI option, tried renaming the EFI to EFI- and back, tried all BIOS settings from UEFI to Legacy to, Dual, you name it, still stuck. I copy all my files back from the "previous" folder and I am back in 6.9.2 so is definitely something with the 6.11.1 version

I have the latest BIOS in this board so no idea what other setting in BIOS could be the culprit? Also tried different USB sticks, still no go :( 

Supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F, Version 1.01
American Megatrends Inc., Version 1.7
BIOS dated: Mon 09 May 2022 12:00:00 AM CDT

2 hours ago, limetech said:

How long did you let it sit? bzroot is quite a bit larger in 6.11 vs 6.9

Yes I noticed the size difference. It sat there on bzroot for like 30 minutes. No go for sure.  There is gotta be some setting in my BIOS but I can't think of anything.  6.9.2 works but not 6.11.1 

Anything to do with secure boot in 6.11.1 or after 6.9.2? I haven't changed any setting in the BIOS so something must changed after 6.9.2 image

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/b/8/0/4/defec5a440045d287b3ad05d5b5d18f61810.pdf

743825649_ScreenShot2022-10-17at7_18_54PM.thumb.png.9dcfb2f65e36726a318a4d5a45b62994.png

Edited by johnwhicker

Anyone having SMB issues and using the Recycle Bin plugin is encouraged to update to the latest version (2022.10.18a).  The previous few versions may have caused SMB issues from some changes to remove the Recycle BIn information from the smb-extra.conf file.  The global settings in the Recycle Bin were placed after user and UD shares.  Global settings are supposed to go before the share settings.  The settings have been reverted back to the smb-extra.conf file to solve this.

If you update and see no difference, stop the Recycle BIn and see if it makes a difference.  Report back if you find the Recycle Bin causes issues,

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

The previous few versions may have caused SMB issues from some changes to remove the Recycle BIn information from the smb-extra.conf file.

I have always had the recyclebin configuration in settings/smb extra configurations (aka smb-extra.conf). Was I supposed to remove those settings at some point and missed that?

Another one for you :) The other UnRaid box got fixed by downgrading the BIOS. Figure that? Weird?

But this other UnRaid box looks like my ethernets are not loading? This a fresh new 6.11.1 image, no previous settings

Supermicro A1SRi-2758F, Version 2.00
American Megatrends Inc., Version 2.2
BIOS dated: Fri 22 Nov 2019 12:00:00 AM CST

eth0-6.11.1.JPG-1.JPG

eth0-6.11.1.JPG

• SpencerJ unpinned and unfeatured this topic