Unraid OS version 6.11.1 available

5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I asked for the diags in your general support thread, please post them there.

Thank you Sir. So to avoid the confusion, this is my second SuperMicro UnRaid that does now boot.  First one I downgraded the BIOS and that fixed it.  This one the ethernets are not loading therefore I can only go to the console and download the diags. Can I just manually copy them to the USB as I only have console access?  Which directory do I copy?  or can I run the diag script in the console and pipe them to the USB drive somewhere?  Thanks again 

On 10/9/2022 at 6:06 PM, SimonF said:

Yes I think that may be outdated. as I didnt find it either. You should just need to start the service and z: drive will be mapped. I just run the virtiofs.exe for testing without a service.

I have installed WinFsp and the virtio win drivers from the ISO but when I run virtiofw.exe I don't see new drives or anything. Should it appear automatically?

imagen.png.4d622216e75dc152abf0aedc82824c6b.png

Do you what could be the problem?

<memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>    ---------> SHould I delete this line from the XML?
    <source type='memfd'/>
    <access mode='shared'/>
  </memoryBacking>

Edited by L0rdRaiden
19 minutes ago, L0rdRaiden said:

I have installed WinFsp and the virtio win drivers from the ISO but when I run virtiofw.exe I don't see new drives or anything. Should it appear automatically?

imagen.png.4d622216e75dc152abf0aedc82824c6b.png

Do you what could be the problem?

<memoryBacking>
   <no sharepages/>    ---------> SHould I delete this line from the XML?
    <source type='memfd'/>
    <access mode='shared'/>
  </memoryBacking>

Yes,

Have you created a mapping in the vm template?

Should just show as z: drive

• Thanks 1

I am having trouble updating from 6.9.2 to this version using the GUI. I get an IO error at around the 60% mark of the download which I believe is due to limited RAM onboard (2Gb). Is there a 'simple' alternate way to install from the download section onto the flash drive?

I vaguely recall mapping the Flash Drive in Windows and then replacing a few files. The flash share would naturally be temporary.

Edited by kanine

Indeed, 2GB might be too small.

50 minutes ago, kanine said:

I vaguely recall mapping the Flash Drive in Windows and then replacing a few files. The flash share would naturally be temporary.

You can do the manual update. Simply replace all the bz* files by the ones from the Download page, it is also recommended to replace the changes.txt file.

image.png.33f704393489f4aee770199ec1216aa7.png

Obviously, do a flash backup first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, kanine said:

I get an IO error at around the 60% mark of the download which I believe is due to limited RAM onboard (2Gb).

You need at least 4GB to be able to upgrade via the GUI.

The manual process is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

12 hours ago, kanine said:

I am having trouble updating from 6.9.2 to this version using the GUI. I get an IO error at around the 60% mark of the download which I believe is due to limited RAM onboard (2Gb). Is there a 'simple' alternate way to install from the download section onto the flash drive?

Any chances of you jus slapping some more Ram in your machine? You would benefit from it later as releases come out and give your machine a little more headroom to breathe. 

On 10/26/2022 at 3:51 AM, PeteAsking said:

I upgraded and it seems to work but takes longer to start up and get going. Seems sluggish now but otherwise functional. Guess I dont reboot often but just saying in case.

For me the longer boot started at 6.8.3 and wasn't there in 6.7.0 and below. But it's not that big of a deal as its perhaps 10 seconds or so more.

1 hour ago, PeteAron said:

do i simply do the normal procedure on my usb (back it up, shutdown, copy new files to it, boot server, all smiles)?

Basically yes, you can also update using the GUI, not a bad idea to read the release notes at least for the major releases, like v6.9.0, 6.10.0 and 6.11.0.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 7:31 AM, SimonF said:

For windows you need to install additional parts on  the guest. https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-windows.html

For a linux guest you just mount the share   sudo mount -t virtiofs unraidshare /mnt/unraiddata/

Ich habe versucht die Anleitung von https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-windows.html zu folgen, jedoch wird mir der "Mass Storage Controller" im Geräte-Manager nicht angezeigt. Ist es korrekt, dass ich den Installer für https://winfsp.dev/rel/ , ganz einfacht mit der Standardkonfiguration folge?

Wo finde ich ausserdem diese "virtiofs PCI device driver" ?

15 minutes ago, Metti said:

I tried to follow the instructions from https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/howto-windows.html , but I don't see the "Mass Storage Controller" in Device Manager. Is it correct that I just follow the installer for https://winfsp.dev/rel/ with the default configuration?

Where can I also find this "virtiofs PCI device driver"?

On virtio cd

Did you set memory backing? note there are reports of vm lockups with mem backing enabled

Edited by SimonF
1 hour ago, SimonF said:

On virtio cd

Did you set memory backing? note there are reports of vm lockups with mem backing enabled

Yes, i pasted that code, that i read before from you.

<memoryBacking>
    <source type='memfd'/>
    <access mode='shared'/>
  </memoryBacking>

i also renamed the SMB Share, so the Driveletter Z:, is free.

The main problem seems, that i don't get the "Mass Storage Controller", in devicemanager.

Edited by Metti
formatting
40 minutes ago, Metti said:

Yes, i pasted that code, that i read before from you.

<memoryBacking>
    <source type='memfd'/>
    <access mode='shared'/>
  </memoryBacking>

i also renamed the SMB Share, so the Driveletter Z:, is free.

The main problem seems, that i don't get the "Mass Storage Controller", in devicemanager.

I dont think I had to install any drivers. Just WInFSP and setup virtiofs to run I test by running from cmd viofs is on the CD also.

image.thumb.png.0fe8d945c12b00575def3476532105be.png

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the correct place to report this but after going from 6.9.2 to 6.11.5 one issue that popped up immediately was the loss of my network connection.  I was using a Pluggable 2.5gb USB adapter and never had an issue but after upgrading, it did not work at all and does not even show up in network (I plugged eth back into the motherboard port) but i would really need to use the added speed of the 2.5gb adapter.   Is there something else i need to do to get this working again>?  If this is not in the right place, please move to the appropriate area and I apologize.   I stopped Docker/vm and went into network settings but i dont see the adapter there anymore.  

Just now, GeorgeJetson20 said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to report this but after going from 6.9.2 to 6.11.5 one issue that popped up immediately was the loss of my network connection.  I was using a Pluggable 2.5gb USB adapter and never had an issue but after upgrading, it did not work at all and does not even show up in network (I plugged eth back into the motherboard port) but i would really need to use the added speed of the 2.5gb adapter.   Is there something else i need to do to get this working again>?  If this is not in the right place, please move to the appropriate area and I apologize.   I stopped Docker/vm and went into network settings but i dont see the adapter there anymore.  

i had the same exact issue. i held the power down on my the server(bad i know) then turned back on and it detected the connection again.

I tried all that stuff but it doesnt detect at all..  powered off completely and rebooted - not sure what is needed to get this working, hopefully someone has this as its a great adapter for when you dont have a 2.5gb nic on board.

Chipset is Realtek RTL8156B -- Can anyone think why it worked previously with 6.92 

Edited by GeorgeJetson20
  • SpencerJ unpinned and unfeatured this topic