Passthrough issue with GTX1070 on Window 10 VM

Hello all, let me start out by saying thank you for the support provided here.  I have looked up many things to learn.

I am no IT expert and have limited knowledge but love learning what I need to learn and keep detail notes of what has worked and I have managed to fix things.

For the last week I have been struggling to get my GTX 1070 to passthrough on a windows VM

Many say its simple -- I keep hitting a road block.

Ohhh and thank you SpaceInvaderOne for the videos -- I watch I mimic and I learn.  Love tinkering!! 

And yes I have tried all his tips on the passthrough -- with no luck.

I can get the VM to work with VNC and as the gtx1070 as the second graphics card.

It was suggest to download and install the drivers manually -- i have done that and still issues when I remove the VNC and make the gpu primary.  They show up in the xml with the dumped rom I made.  I am still baffled as to why.

The logs gives this:

-device '{"driver":"vfio-pci","host":"0000:02:00.0","id":"hostdev0","bus":"pci.3","addr":"0x0","romfile":"/mnt/disk1/isos/vbios/NVIDIA.GTX1070.8192.160520.rom"}' \
-device '{"driver":"vfio-pci","host":"0000:02:00.1","id":"hostdev1","bus":"pci.4","addr":"0x0"}' \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \

At first I thought its the dumped rom, so I did it again and even tried one from 

techpowerup and still have the same issue.

I have tried to look up the issue but find limited information

Any help will be gladly appreciated

I have tried creating a new VM with OVMF & SeaBIOS -- with no change.

I even tried setting MOBO to internal graphics so the GPU is not in use -- and still nothing, but I am not sure.

The VNC Console is visable when using the graphics with VNC but its not present when only with gpu and still says start.  

I am on another computer on the network and able to log in and see the Unraid but I am not able to access.

I have been searching high and low for answer but unsure if this is expected as none of the videos I watched indicated.

One of the reasons looking to go with Unraid is the easy use for newbies.  Prior I was using Linux Arch with BareMetal Windows and macOS as I migrate to having one system to do many things.  I game on windows and do everything else on Linux and macOS.

2008217105_VNCGPU.thumb.png.c1c15de1e0502e2731c151aa2dda331f.png

VNC + GPU + DM.png

GPU.png

On the new VM I created this time it automatically installed the NVIDIA drivers so I was hopeful but when I remove the VNC from the number one spot  -- and make another attempt to connect as you can see I do not get an option to connect to the VM but the GPU show up under the graphics.

When you are passing through the GPU, have you tried connecting the monitor to all the ports, obviously one at a time? Sometimes if a card has multiple types of outputs as most do, only one will actually be active until you get drivers loaded. For instance, if it has 2 HDMI and one display port, make sure you try all 3 different options.

Another thing to try is installing nomachine while the VM has the VNC connection working, and make sure that you can connect to the nomachine from a networked computer, then when you switch to GPU passthrough you can see if the nomachine is up and working.

Thank You for your reply.

23 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Another thing to try is installing nomachine while the VM has the VNC connection working, and make sure that you can connect to the nomachine from a networked computer, then when you switch to GPU passthrough you can see if the nomachine is up and working.

I am able to remote in with nomachine on the local network with the VNC.  

When I removed VNC graphic and go with just the gpu -- its not picking up or recognizing the gpu.  I connect but the resolution is like 800x600 or something.

When I go to Device Manager -- nothing is listed for Display Adapter.

23 hours ago, JonathanM said:

When you are passing through the GPU, have you tried connecting the monitor to all the ports, obviously one at a time? Sometimes if a card has multiple types of outputs as most do, only one will actually be active until you get drivers loaded. For instance, if it has 2 HDMI and one display port, make sure you try all 3 different options.

I will give this a go and see by using the four ports available.

I even tried using a different vbios to see but still no luck. 

At least I know on remote log I am able to connect -- just gotta get the drivers on figure out which hdmi port to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

Unraid -- still having issues getting the gpu passthrough but the advice I have received has been great.  Discord has bee a great help too.

I am getting my containers up and running as I continue to make the transition.   Now beginning to suspect the hdmi ->DVI cable I am using might be an issues so tried another hdmi to hdmi from gpu to monitor so I can try each port -- but had to stop my test -- do to life issues.  I am carving time out this weekend to give it another go.  Also have another gpu to passthrough but was holding off till I got the windows for gaming up and running.  Ultimate goal is windows on one gpu and Mac on another.