Add PCIe NVME Devices To Boot Order in GUI

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I have an NVME passed through to my VM as the OS drive. In order for OVMF to boot from it I have to edit the XML and specify the boot order. Any time I modify my VM I have to go back in and modify the XML. If I forget to do this step it won't automatically boot from the NVME but will instead boot straight to the UEFI shell.

15 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

I have an NVME passed through to my VM as the OS drive. In order for OVMF to boot from it I have to edit the XML and specify the boot order. Any time I modify my VM I have to go back in and modify the XML. If I forget to do this step it won't automatically boot from the NVME but will instead boot straight to the UEFI shell.

Boot order has been added to the gui in 6.11

29 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Boot order has been added to the gui in 6.11

The problem is that if you pass through the device as a PCIe device the OVMF doesn't see it as a bootable device unless you add the boot order the the XML. I've changed it to a physical drive pass through but that's different. It shows up in the guest OS as a "QEMU HARDDISK" rather than a PCIe device. Apparently there's a slight performance penalty from doing it this way rather than just passing through the entire PCIe device.

21 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

@SimonF Yes

Just to confirm your XML will have an entry similar to this. But guessing if you add/change hardware you could break source address?

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <boot order='5'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

6 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Just to confirm your XML will have an entry similar to this. But guessing if you add/change hardware you could break source address?

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <boot order='5'/>
    </hostdev>

Yes, that's correct.

• Solution
On 10/9/2022 at 6:49 PM, Taddeusz said:

Yes, that's correct.

Created the following, but not tested booting from the NVME. Only type 0108(NVME) devices will have boot order input.

image.thumb.png.32585db38031fca969a296f510d5bda8.png

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <boot order='1'/>
    </hostdev>