Cable Confusion SFF8643 to SATA Supermicro CBL-SAST-0616

craigr

I don't understand Supermicro's terminology on this cable (part # CBL-SAST-0616).  Could someone please tell me if this cable will work to connect my HBA SFF8643 to SATA hard drives?

https://store.supermicro.com/supermicro-minisas-hd-to-4x-sata-50-50cm-cable-cbl-sast-0616.html

I've been using cheap breakout cables and am getting CRC checksum errors on multiple drives.  Moving the cables around helps, but the CRC errors always come back unpredictably.

I have older Norco SS-500 PODS that are getting long in the tooth as well.  I may try changing the filter capacitors on the PCB's first as I would not be surprised if they are shot by now.

Thanks,

craigr

I had my doubts that these would be any better than what I already had.  I haven't done any intensive testing, and also the CRC checksum errors would come and go randomly anyway*.  However, these new cables are much more robust in every way.  The terminators fit much more securely including the SATA ends despite the old ones being latching.  The cabling itself is MUCH more ridged and heavier as well.  Hopefully my CRC errors are gone for good!  Time will tell!

Also, turns out these have Amphenol terminators or were made by Amphenol even though they are Supermicro branded.

Now to get the matching SATA to SATA cables so my system looks clean again 😁

Thanks for your clarification on these.

*Last parity check with old cables, my drive 14 was throwing gobs of CRC checksums, drives 12 and 2 were throwing some as well.  I wiggled the old cables around and got actual read errors on disc 14 (unRAID log not on SMART) so I rebooted and rearranged the old cables.  Zero CRC errors for the parity check after that.  The old cables just didn't seat well and or had very poor shielding.  But again, the errors were intermittent so hopefully this is finally behind me with the new cables.

craigr

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all dolled up and no more UDMA Checksum Errors!  I know you're not supposed to tie cables together, but I've never had problems doing it with good shielded cables like these.  New SAS > SATA and matching SATA > SATA cables installed.  I renamed the server SilverStream 😉.  I think she looks great!

IMG_5016.jpg.d918af120274128dbed2a388206feb7d.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg.1f6d7290da3edb656df2be8db5a16dfc.jpg

IMG_5025.jpg.4065e895ec25d1d8fb1596384c76a1e5.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg.7d1723099ac8d97098657b4dc19b5ff3.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg.11e977b4fec19f9c23afae5eba1f5d9a.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg.4f08afee37f3de7cef8f3ced93b4d953.jpg

Edited by craigr
changed CPU cooler to Noctua NH-U12S & final glamor shots
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, craigr said:

I know you're not supposed to tie cables together, but I've never had problems

I also agree tie them not a problem. I almost haven't got cable problem in past for many different type cable. I will place signal cable away high EMI components and power cable.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Upvote 1
On 10/25/2022 at 3:09 PM, craigr said:

I know you're not supposed to tie cables together,

The biggest issue is with the connections being pulled at an angle. The SATA connector is very touchy, and if you force the cable off to one side, chances are eventually it will start making an intermittently bad connection, heat changes and vibration accelerating the movement instigated by the constant pulling force.

Ideally if could physically removed the hard drive without touching the cable, the cable would naturally stay in the same spot it was connected to in empty space, indicating no forces are acting on the end of the cable.

Letting the cables relax and fall where they want is usually the easiest way to ensure nothing is pulling the cable out of alignment.

• Upvote 1