First Impressions of Unraid From a TrueNAS User

peterg23

• 2 months later...

I only use my cache drives for apps.  I use 500GB cache (NVMe) on all my servers except for the older unRAID05 machine which is using 120GB (SATA M2).  I find that playing music or movies or updating docs or organizing pics are all fast with regular hard drives.  I've never quite seen the appeal of SSD other than for a quick boot-up.  In the end, I use the cache for the apps (and you don't need much for that).

I originally tried TrueNAS and I loved the configurability but it's very low-level and I'm a Windows guy so it took a lot of work and trial and error to get things working.  In the end I felt it was too much of a hassle.  You had to be a really knowledgeable Linux person to use it properly.  I thought that zfs was really slick but that's tricky to set up properly. After all, if the block size is small then it uses a lot of memory but if the block size is too large then you lose the real benefit of deduplication.  My Linux friend suggested that I look at unRAID and I fell in love with it.  Finally, someone who took a Linux OS and made it look good with great features.  Add in the community plugins and docker apps and you've got a match made in heaven.

Word of caution to Limetech.  Make sure that you support the community because it's a symbiotic relationship.  If the users and community don't feel that they are getting the support they need then they will jump ship to the next great thing.  So far so good!

• Upvote 1