First Server Build Hardware Question

Hello all together,

i have a really important Question, im planing to do an Unraid Server Build in the End of this Year (Waiting for Black Fridays).
But i cant decide between the AMD 5950X and the AMD 7900X. It will replace my Current Gaming PC before it will become my Server.

Server Usage:

• 1 Gaming VM for my Living Room (Racing Games like FH4) using Parsec to connect to it. Win 10/11
  • Multiple Dockers
  • HomeAssistant VM
  • VMs (Development Purposes and so on [not all running at the same time hopefully]
  • Plex Server
  • Bitwarden Server
  • AnyDesk Like Server

The Server will get a 3060TI for passing it to the Gaming VM
Question: Can i pass the same GPU to Different VMs if they are not running at the same Time?

AMD 5950x:

+ 16 Cores
+ Cheaper than the 7900X

AMD 7900X:

+ more expensive

+ 12 cores (only)
- may not work with unraid couldnt find any infos

Mainboard Prices are around the same for both (looking for max 350€).
I Will start with 4x 10TB WD Red.

BTW why is the 3900X still so expensive if there are "better" newer CPUs?

I hope i am in the correct Topic, sorry if not.

VG 0xMDIV

Unfortunately, I can't answer any of your questions. I am in a similar situation myself.

My unraid server ([email protected], 16GiB DDR3, 34TB array (+2x10TB parity, 2x500GB cache) has been running for many many years now. Apart from being a bit overloaded, last week the power supply failed (no UPS will help).

I do have installed 91 Docker containers (I like to experiment).
There are "only" 33 containers running, but they are in daily use.
1 small Windows VM is always running (running software for CNC, laser and 3D printer)
If I want to start Gitlab (in the Docker container) I have to turn off the VM. This is annoying.

In short, a new one is needed. Since I, as a MacBook user, also like to play games, this should also happen in a VM in the future. I would also like to experiment with AI, which requires a fast graphics card with a lot of memory. So I'm also playing with the idea of using an AMD 7900 or 7950x. Just because it already has a graphics unit. You lack that in the predecessor (5950x).

Why, may I ask, are you using an Nvidia and not an AMD graphics card? I've seen that they are more interesting in terms of price. Sorry, it's been a while since I've dealt with hardware. So I have no idea ...

My old system pulls (in idle -> container and VM is on, but it is not actively worked with it) about 200-240Watt. That's quite a lot over the year.

The question I ask myself in addition, what about the power consumption. According to various online calculators I would need about 1200Watt power supply (7950x + RX6950XT + 32 or even 64 Ram + LSI controller, 7 HDD, 2 SSD, ....). What happens to the graphics card when it is assigned to a VM and you turn off the VM. Does the graphics card then no longer need power. I realize that the new system draws significantly more power during a game than my old system. But if I don't have the gaming VM running, it would be nice if the new system would draw less or at least similar amount of power.

If not, I would prefer a power saving build and buy a Playstation + Switch 😅

TBH i dont think its a good idea to use the newest amd gen for now. i read a lot and it seems like the linux kernel dont always like new CPU gens.
Also im really unsure if i should buy an ryzen 5950x because, it costs 579€, but the 5900x costs only around 399€. I dislike the Idead to pay so much for "only" 4 more cors. Im also thinking about going to Intel for the Server. 
I have to collect more money before my unraid goes live, but atleast i already bought the unraid pro License :D

Seeing as Ryzen wasn't launched until 2017, I would have recommended Intel also.  Nobody should need ever live with a Bulldozer/Piledriver system.  😱

There is really nothing wrong with a properly configured Ryzen server.  You can get more hardware, usable PCIe lanes, lower power consumption for less $$.

The one thing that has me recommend an Intel system over AMD is if you wish for Plex hardware transcoding.  Intel integrated video saves you a slow and the cost of an additional graphics card, as AMD doesn't get as much love/support from Plex.