Added a second NIC - Help needed with setup and network configuration

retox
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi there ...

I added a Sonnett 10 Gbit card to my server and it shows up as eth1 in network settings. Right now I connected my Mac Pro directly with SFP+ cable to the Unraid Server (no switch). Eth0 (1 Gbit onboard) it connected to the Modem/Router. My question is: How do I have to setup the network correctly and how do I configure the two cards in order to use both connections? I do not have any network experience and tried to find some solution on the internet, but I did not find anything about this special case. Maybe there is a way to seperate the 10 Gbit net from the 1 Gbit connection for file transfer ? How can I assure to have a working remote access to Unraid after changing the configuration? And what I also do not understand (I will add a screenshot) is why (under interface eth1 under description) is there a "shutdown (inactive)". Is there a simple way to leave the eth0 as it is and use eth1 simply as a fast way to access the UNRAID server from the Mac? Any help will be gladly appreciated. Have a nice weekend ... Best wishes ... retox

UNRAID Settings with 2 NIC Setup.jpg

• Solution

Remove the bond, assign an IP from a separate subnet to the 10GbE NIC (no gateway), assign one form the same to the Mac, then connect from the Mac using the 10GbE IP or add the server name to the hosts file, of course the Mac also needs another wired or wifi connection for internet access.

Hi Jorge, hi BRiT it's working now (without a switch), although I'm not quite sure what I did there 😂. I installed an Garuda Linux on a MacPro 5.1 (I want to get into virtual machines stuff) and coming from Mac I must say the Linix network thing is quite hard to aquire. Right now I have a nearly 200 MB/s throughput (read) with the 10Gbit Nic and would like to know how I can integrate a freshly installed SSD into the setup in order to max out  r/w operations. Is there a simple way or some instructions somewhere in order to set this up?

Thank you very much for helping me ...

Best wishes ... retox