Thoughts on Manufacture Recertified / Refurbished Drives - Exos

Howdy folks,

Getting ready to work in some upgrades and curious as to everyone's thoughts or experience with "Manufacturer Recertified" or refurbished drives?

Specifically, I'm looking at the 16/18TB Exos drives from someplace like this:

https://serverpartdeals.com/collections/seagate-exos-enterprise-drives?pf_t_condition=condition%3AManufacturer+Recertified&pf_t_capacity=capacity%3A16TB&pf_t_capacity=capacity%3A18TB&pf_t_interface_type=interface%3ASATA

I'm currently running WD drives size 8p/8/8/4/4/. I'd like to double parity and run two data drives so I could go with 16p1/16p2/16/16 or 18s across the board. It looks as if people enjoy the Exos and 7200, which is awesome.  I'm just not sure sure on the refurb. 

On the one hand, the kinks have already been worked out 🙂 On the other, I don't want to end up with a batch that all fail together, etc. My thinking is that if they are manufacture recertified, they should be fine.

I know some of you use refurb, etc., so I'm hoping for some experience feedback.

Thanks!

Kermit

I'm using 2 WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14TB that I bought used. Been in my server for over a year, ran 3x preclear on them.  No issues.

The only reason my newer purchases aren't more of those is because retail prices on those same sizes have come way down in recent months. I picked up my first 18TB for 280ish and a 14TB for 210 this past week.

Edited by whipdancer
16 hours ago, KermitJr said:

On the one hand, the kinks have already been worked out 🙂 On the other, I don't want to end up with a batch that all fail together, etc. My thinking is that if they are manufacture recertified, they should be fine.

Doesn't really mean much that they're manufacturer re-certified.

Yes, they have passed whatever qualifying tests in order to be put back on the market.

What is unknown is their prior history.

They could be old new stock, nicely packed and stored under controlled environment and near ideal conditions.

Or be some unwanted returns that were never properly stored, packaged and handled.