Help with: "Unmountable: Wrong or no file system"

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

Looking for a bit of help!

I've got a disk marked as "Unmountable: Wrong or no file system". I have two parity disks in my array, the GUI seems to suggest that the disk is being emulated, however the data on the disk is missing:

1645993771_Screenshot2022-10-16at15_21_50.thumb.png.f034ce1b32a89adbaf239291d1e701d6.png

I have the option to format the disk, but don't want to do that as the data isn't being recreated from parity, so think doing this would loose the data:

1146240094_Screenshot2022-10-16at15_28_15.thumb.png.24971b146194ed6f0ddfb7fc856377da.png

Is there anything I can do? I've tried a reboot and same issue.

I have all my important files backed up, but hoping I dont need to go through the hassle or working out whats missing etc.

Running 6.11.1 - Diagnostics attached.

unraid-server-diagnostics-20221016-1418.zip

Edited by 1471
17 hours ago, Squid said:

Run the file system checks against disk 1  https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems

Thanks, its an encrypted volume so had to go via the GUI, followed a helpful guide from Spaceinvader One.

Ran the XFS recovery (had to use -L flag) and rebooted th eserver. I'm still getting the disk error (see screen shot below), but now the disks being emulated and can access the data. Just to add, there arent any SMART errors on the disk, so don't think thats the issue.

763285106_Screenshot2022-10-17at11_45_57.thumb.png.9d941a38373a515b4ef30735dbc6a290.png

Do you know what the process would be to fix from here? Remove the disk from the aray, format and rebuild from parity?

I've created a new share NOT using the faulty disk and backing up everything from the faulty disk to that, just in case.

New diagnostics attached if that helps

unraid-server-diagnostics-20221017-0634.zip

• Solution

yes, because a write to the drive failed, so the OS automatically disabled the drive.  To re-enable you must rebuild the drive from the parity information

DO NOT FORMAT

Stop the array, unassign the drive 1

Start the array, stop the array

Reassign drive 1

Start the array and start the rebuild.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:00 AM, Squid said:

yes, because a write to the drive failed, so the OS automatically disabled the drive.  To re-enable you must rebuild the drive from the parity information

DO NOT FORMAT

Stop the array, unassign the drive 1

Start the array, stop the array

Reassign drive 1

Start the array and start the rebuild.

All sorted. Thank you very much for your help, really appreciated.