vGPU Support

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 10:37 AM, Stalkkaaja said:

Coming here to lurk for the info about this topic as well. As it's possible to mod the bios for most Pascal and Ampere cards to act as GRID-compatible, I would love to have add one card to share between multiple VMs as well.

Check this out

https://www.lxg2016.com/55875.html

Works on 6.10.3 - tried on 6.11.x but plugin does not work and does not download vgpu driver.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

The vgpu_unlock is one thing... I understand devs don't want to poke the bear (Nvidia's legal department) giving consumer hardware access to enterprise features, although there are legitimate uses cases such as optimizing vgpu profiles.

But vgpu support where it is fully supported and within Nvidia's licensing would be nice, I do have a Tesla P4 for this purpose which I will be using with proxmox on my new server setup, but I'd be happy to help with testing in Unraid should an official plugin be considered for development :)

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I've asked on the discord and was referred here to basically throw out there that I and I'm sure many others will have noticed the availability of AMDs Firepro series GPUs with AMD MxGPU has become much more abundant.

As such, I think that it would be great if Unraid could support VGPU via MxGPU aswell.

I understand that Linux KVM need support it first, which I believe it now does. So the Development work can be unlocked.

Until then, I'll probably have to use proxmox, which already has this functionality. But it seems a shame as I prefer the UX of Unraid.

Edited by Tom Day
Additional Context
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Tom Day said:

I've asked on the discord and was referred here to basically throw out there that I and I'm sure many others will have noticed the availability of AMDs Firepro series GPUs with AMD MxGPU has become much more abundant.

As such, I think that it would be great if Unraid could support VGPU via MxGPU aswell.

I understand that Linux KVM need support it first, which I believe it now does. So the Development work can be unlocked.

Until then, I'll probably have to use proxmox, which already has this functionality. But it seems a shame as I prefer the UX of Unraid.

do you have any links for drivers? I can only find old one for a specific card.

Looks like only 7150 is supported. Code is over 3 years old.

https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/MxGPU-Virtualization

Edited by SimonF
15 hours ago, SimonF said:

do you have any links for drivers? I can only find old one for a specific card.

Looks like only 7150 is supported. Code is over 3 years old.

https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/MxGPU-Virtualization

It seems that way yes, S7150 range, which is basically the Firepro series, with varying sizes of core count.

I have the S7150, and it appears from the docs I've seen that they all point to the GIM driver which I guess is what would need to be understood by unraid in order for it to partition the GPU up for virtualization.

I can see the repo has been forked many times, I've looked through a few and it looks like people have customised it for use in various forms. Perhaps that's the right path here, but it certainly is niche.

When I'm back from my holidays I'll look into this all further, I'm a developer and wouldn't mind a new project for the new year!

• Upvote 2
On 12/30/2022 at 9:57 AM, Tom Day said:

It seems that way yes, S7150 range, which is basically the Firepro series, with varying sizes of core count.

I have the S7150, and it appears from the docs I've seen that they all point to the GIM driver which I guess is what would need to be understood by unraid in order for it to partition the GPU up for virtualization.

I can see the repo has been forked many times, I've looked through a few and it looks like people have customised it for use in various forms. Perhaps that's the right path here, but it certainly is niche.

When I'm back from my holidays I'll look into this all further, I'm a developer and wouldn't mind a new project for the new year!

I'd be very keen to see your progress with this. I have a Tesla P4 for use with Proxmox but prefer UNRAID so really keen to see a driver that works with UNRAID versions greater than 6.10. I reached out to the original plugin dev but he doesn't know when the plugin will work with 6.11+.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...