Files reappear after being deleted?! [SOLVED]

I am trying to delete several files from one of my disc (3 of 20) and for some reason after I delete them (from my computer) they dissapear instantly (it normally takes a while).  Than after refreshing the page they show up again.  

I'm not sure what is going on.  I tried running the following command via telnet but it didn't work:

reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/sdd

I found this command via a guide here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

I noticed on the command on that page it says "md1" for the disc and my is called "sdd".  So I changed that part of it and it spits out this error:

reiserfs_open: the reiserfs superblock cannot be found on /dev/sdd.

Failed to open the filesystem.

If the partition table has not been changed, and the partition is

valid  and  it really  contains  a reiserfs  partition,  then the

superblock  is corrupted and you need to run this utility with

--rebuild-sb.

Does anybody have any idea's what could cause this?

Thanks in advance!

I am trying to delete several files from one of my disc (3 of 20) and for some reason after I delete them (from my computer) they dissapear instantly (it normally takes a while).  Than after refreshing the page they show up again. 

I'm not sure what is going on.  I tried running the following command via telnet but it didn't work:

reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/sdd

I found this command via a guide here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

I noticed on the command on that page it says "md1" for the disc and my is called "sdd".  So I changed that part of it and it spits out this error:

reiserfs_open: the reiserfs superblock cannot be found on /dev/sdd.

Failed to open the filesystem.

If the partition table has not been changed, and the partition is

valid  and  it really  contains  a reiserfs  partition,  then the

superblock  is corrupted and you need to run this utility with

--rebuild-sb.

Does anybody have any idea's what could cause this?

Thanks in advance!

you used the WRONG command.

The reiserfsck commands must be used on the /dev/mdX devices, not on the /dev/sdX devices.

md1 = disk1, md2= disk2, etc, based on your disk assignments on the "devices" page.  The superblock is not corrupt, you are just not pointing reiserfsck to the correct device partition.

Joe L.

Yep, you were right.  Now I have a different error:

Partition /dev/md3 is mounted with write permissions, cannot check it

[/Quote]

I figured that meant because it was mounted and I had to stop the array than try again.  It appears that's not right either:

Failed to open the device '/dev/md3': No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

Yep, you were right.  Now I have a different error:

Partition /dev/md3 is mounted with write permissions, cannot check it

[/Quote]

I figured that meant because it was mounted and I had to stop the array than try again.  It appears that's not right either:

Failed to open the device '/dev/md3': No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

do not stop the array. It must remain running while you perform the reiserfsck.

use the

umount /mnt/disk3

command to un-mount the disk.

If it will not un-mount because it is busy, you'll have to stop SAMBA as described in the wiki and then un-mount it.

Well unmounting the disc and running that command didn't fix it :(

Does anybody have any idea why the files can't be deleted?  I've tried running "new permissions" and that didn't help either.

If I don't figure it out soon I'll probably just backup the files and reformat that drive.

I had a similar problem before. and that's why I am trying to help

As it turned out it was a problem on the client computer (windows 7) because of a service not working.

that is why I said just to try and see if the files can be deleted through terminal.

Did the reiserfsck found any problems? ???

Nick

reisefsck didn't find any problems.  It seems to me its a permission problem.  I tried to delete it via midnight commander and it said "Read-Only file system (30)"

I believe its a permissions problem, but for some reason I can't gain permission of those files....

Any idea where I should go from here?

reisefsck didn't find any problems.  It seems to me its a permission problem.  I tried to delete it via midnight commander and it said "Read-Only file system (30)"

I believe its a permissions problem, but for some reason I can't gain permission of those files....

Any idea where I should go from here?

A read-only file system would normally only be caused by the OS detecting corruption in the reiserfs and it making the file-system read-only to prevent further corruption.

If you type:

mount

does it list ANY file system as read-only? "ro" (read-only) as opposed to "rw" (read-write)

If yes, post a syslog.

Joe L.

I don't see any that are read only but I'll post the output just to be sure:

root@tower:~# mount

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

/dev/sdj1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,umask=0,shortname=mixed)

/dev/md3 on /mnt/disk3 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md5 on /mnt/disk5 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md7 on /mnt/disk7 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md10 on /mnt/disk10 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md1 on /mnt/disk1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md17 on /mnt/disk17 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md6 on /mnt/disk6 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md12 on /mnt/disk12 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md9 on /mnt/disk9 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md16 on /mnt/disk16 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md15 on /mnt/disk15 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md8 on /mnt/disk8 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md14 on /mnt/disk14 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md19 on /mnt/disk19 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md4 on /mnt/disk4 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md13 on /mnt/disk13 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md18 on /mnt/disk18 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md11 on /mnt/disk11 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md2 on /mnt/disk2 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

shfs on /mnt/user type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_pe

rmissions)

Should I just run the --fix-fixable switch or the --rebuild-tree switch on the disc that these files are located anyway?

I don't see any that are read only but I'll post the output just to be sure:

root@tower:~# mount

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

/dev/sdj1 on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,umask=0,shortname=mixed)

/dev/md3 on /mnt/disk3 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md5 on /mnt/disk5 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md7 on /mnt/disk7 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md10 on /mnt/disk10 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md1 on /mnt/disk1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md17 on /mnt/disk17 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md6 on /mnt/disk6 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md12 on /mnt/disk12 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md9 on /mnt/disk9 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md16 on /mnt/disk16 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md15 on /mnt/disk15 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md8 on /mnt/disk8 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md14 on /mnt/disk14 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md19 on /mnt/disk19 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md4 on /mnt/disk4 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

/dev/md13 on /mnt/disk13 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md18 on /mnt/disk18 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md11 on /mnt/disk11 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr

)

/dev/md2 on /mnt/disk2 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,nouser_xattr)

shfs on /mnt/user type fuse.shfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_pe

rmissions)

Should I just run the --fix-fixable switch or the --rebuild-tree switch on the disc that these files are located anyway?

you never should run commands without a previous reiserfsck --check tells you it is needed.

So, run

reiserfsck --check /dev/mdX

on each of the "md" the drives and then follow its recommendations.

you never should run commands without a previous reiserfsck --check tells you it is needed.

So, run

reiserfsck --check /dev/mdX

on each of the "md" the drives and then follow its recommendations.

I already ran reiserfsck and it didn't report any errors that I could see.  Here's what it said:

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes

###########

reiserfsck --fix-fixable started at Thu Jun 23 20:17:01 2011

###########

Replaying journal: Done.

Reiserfs journal '/dev/md3' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

Checking internal tree.. finished

Comparing bitmaps..finished

Checking Semantic tree:

finished

No corruptions found

There are on the filesystem:

Leaves 458116

Internal nodes 2721

Directories 6

Other files 77

Data block pointers 463603008 (0 of them are zero)

Safe links 0

###########

reiserfsck finished at Thu Jun 23 21:41:50 2011

###########

It doesn't sound like a file system problem to me. You wouldn't be able to delete the file at all if the disk was corrupt and mounted read only. All your disks are listed as rw - read write.

To me, it almost sounds like you are working on your PC with a mapped share or something similar and the PC is putting the files back in place. Your explanation of it usually taking a while to delete the files really doesn't make much sense unless you're deleting many files at once (say at least 100's but likely 1000's).  Maybe if you shared some more info on what you're trying to delete and how then we could be of more help.

Peter

I've had a few weird problems with unRAID and windows 7 when deleting things.

My most recent problem was Windows refusing to delete an empty folder because it was "in use".  So I closed every running program, and it was still "in use".  I turned off the PC and powered it back up.  Before running anything, I tried deleting it and it was still "in use".  So I went directly to the terminal on my unRAID machine and removed the folder with no problems.

I had another instance where Windows was showing everything as read only, and programs like MS Word wouldn't save changes because it was "read only" file.  However, from the unRAID terminal, nothing was shown with the read only attribute.  And there were no problems with unRAID.  A reboot of the WIN7 machine cleared the read only problem.

Please read below for context:  Well, I figured it out.  I moved the hard drive that was producing all the errors to another bay and the errors are no longer there and I was able to delete all the files that I wanted.  I am also now able to create files on that disc as well.  Thanks again for all your help!

Before figuring out the problem I posted:

The files that normally take a while to delete are approximately 40GB each.  Small files that are not very big do not take that long to delete, its just these larger ISO files.

I just tried to delete the files from the server terminal directly using midnight commander and was somewhat successful.  I was able to delete several files that I couldn't before from midnight commander via telnet. To be honest I have no idea why.  I used the same credentials on telnet as I did on the server terminal.

For some reason it seems like it was blocking me by my ip address somehow?   Can somebody shed some light on this for me?

I would like to thank everyone for their help so far, but I would still like to at least try to figure out why this happened in the 1st place or what I can do to prevent it.  Hopefully me finding out I can delete it from the terminal directly sheds a little more light on the situation.

A little more information:

I just tried to create a file on the disc that I am having problems with and it says: "You need permission to preform this action".  

I was only able to delete 8/12 files.  Midnight commander reports that the files I can't delete are on a "Read-Only File system"

I captured the syslog after I tried to delete the files from midnight commander.  I went through it and it looks like my disc is having some major issues:

Jun 28 00:58:47 server kernel: ata18.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error

Jun 28 00:58:47 server kernel: ata18: SError: { RecovData Handshk LinkSeq }

Jun 28 00:58:47 server kernel: ata18.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED

Jun 28 00:58:47 server kernel: ata18.00: cmd 60/20:00:1f:87:e0/00:00:e8:00:00/40 tag 0 ncq 16384 in

Jun 28 00:58:48 server kernel: ata18.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error

Jun 28 00:58:48 server kernel: ata18: SError: { RecovData UnrecovData Handshk }

Jun 28 00:58:48 server kernel: ata18.00: failed command: WRITE DMA

Jun 28 00:58:48 server kernel: ata18.00: cmd ca/00:08:cf:00:01/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 out

Jun 28 00:58:48 server kernel:          res 50/00:00:f6:cb:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)

Jun 28 01:18:04 server kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdr, sector 9743

Jun 28 01:18:04 server kernel: ata18: EH complete

Jun 28 01:18:04 server kernel: md: disk2 write error

Jun 28 01:18:04 server kernel: handle_stripe write error: 9680/2, count: 1

Jun 28 01:18:04 server kernel: Buffer I/O error on device md2, logical block 1210

Jun 28 01:18:04 server kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on md2

All of these errors were repeated many times.  I've attached a large portion of my syslog just in case its needed.

Here is the smart report for said disc:

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_

FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   148   148   021    Pre-fail  Always       -

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -

7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   086   086   000    Old_age   Always       -

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -

11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -

12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   194   194   000    Old_age   Always       -

194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   114   108   000    Old_age   Always       -

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -

198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -

SMART Error Log Version: 1

No Errors Logged

Disc seems pretty normal to me....LLC count is a little higher than I'd like though.  Should I try just moving the disc to another hot swap bay?

server_syslog.txt