Boot Failure: bzfirmware checksum error

Go to solution Solved by ChatNoir,

I had a running UnRAID installation that we have been testing before purchase.  We had some drives with SMART errors so wanted to shutdown to swap one of them out before it fails.  After rebooting, we get bzfirmware checksum error and the only option is to reboot.

I have searched all over and I cannot find any articles/posts for the bzfirmware checksum issue, or for bzroot.  Is there any way to fix this?  Or, do I have to start over?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have this 

On 10/17/2022 at 2:25 PM, ChatNoir said:

You should remplace all the bz* files on your flash drives with one pulled from the release you are using. You can get the files in the zip here https://unraid.net/download

I have a similar problem (Also bzfirmware checksum error), but I was running 6.12.2, which is no longer on the downloads page. Is there any other place to get older releases? I've looked but all I can find are the blog posts for the old releases and not the .zip files themselves.

Edited by Ravenoak

I had the same issue after my update to the new Version 6.12.6 (from 6.12.4). I found these fix and replaced the Files with one of the download Page, but I had the same issue. (used the 6.12.6). After this I downloaded the 6.12.5 an replaced it with these Files. Also the same.

At the end I downloaded the 6.12.4. After replacing the bz Files with this Version I could boot from my Stick.

Could someone explaine this Problem? I want to update in the hope that I get a better ZFS performance for my Cache. (Mover read with 70mb  (35mb each SSD) from Cache Pool)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same thing just happened to me... I guess this means my flash drive is on its last legs because AFAIK nobody writes to this drive except Unraid during version upgrades, and the last Unraid upgrade dates back to December last year and the system booted just fine a couple of times since then.

For the fun of it I did a binary compare of the bzfirmware files and there was a 4K block near the end that was completely corrupted.

Note that for the longest time (years!) I had bad blocks flagged at boot (like in this thread) which I assumed were the result of an Unraid upgrade, maybe this was related.

11 minutes ago, Fulgurator said:

Same thing just happened to me... I guess this means my flash drive is on its last legs because AFAIK nobody writes to this drive except Unraid during version upgrades, and the last Unraid upgrade dates back to December last year and the system booted just fine a couple of times since then.

For the fun of it I did a binary compare of the bzfirmware files and there was a 4K block near the end that was completely corrupted.

Note that for the longest time (years!) I had bad blocks flagged at boot (like in this thread) which I assumed were the result of an Unraid upgrade, maybe this was related.

I think it can sometimes just mean there is a borderline block rather than the flash drive going bad.   That is why it is always worth rewriting all the bz* type files as it often fixes such an issue.   I have had a flash drive work fine for years after rewriting the bz* files.

• 2 weeks later...

So can I install my flash backup on my current os flash that was corrupted so that I don’t have to use my 1 key transfer I get every 12 months?

if so, please explain the best way to do it, ie. Can I completely wipe the corrupted flash usb stick and then only install the flash backup and that is it?  

Your backup should have the config folder, which is really the whole point, since everything else can just be downloaded again.

The config folder has everything about your specific configuration, all of the settings you have made in the webUI. All the rest is just the OS archive for a particular Unraid version.

You should try to see if you can use the same flash drive so you won't have to do a license transfer.

2 hours ago, marlinz357 said:

completely wipe the corrupted flash usb stick and then only install the flash backup and that is it?  

yes

I recently had this problem. The current version is 6.12.8, I was on 6.12.6 when the corruption happened. I couldn't find a decent source to download the 6.12.6, so I ended up replacing bz* with the .8   No real issues, it came back up, seems to be happy, but it's a little weird. I don't have any version number in the top, my banner is missing, under Tools > Update OS, it's just a blank screen. I'll have to give it a few more restarts.

I was thinking I could possibly download an old zip from connect.myunraid.net, that didn't really work too good. More odd ball file corruption stuff. I wonder if the flash drive I'm using is starting to go off. I think I'll replace it just in case with a recommended one off a list somewhere. Hmm no such list. I'll go with this "tough" Verbatim one, and do a restart tomorrow after the parity check finishes.