Unraid webUI has always been sluggish at best - is there a better way?

Is there any way to improve the load times of the unraid webui?  I have used unraid for years and have never really been happy with the sluggish nature of the interface.   I realize this is not a bug - that I know of.

Im not asking for a miracle here or anything of the sort. I am just hoping that someone might have found a way to get the webUI to perform better.  I am sure a lot of us have had the issue with waiting an inordinate amount of time to get it to load even when unraid is running just fine.  I am not talking about when there are issues, a container starting, processes processing, lightning hit, the world exploding, etc...  Maybe there is a better way to interact with the UI for unraid than using a browser per se?  If there is, please let me know.

To recap or TL/DR;  In general, is there anything I can do to improve performance/responsiveness in my browser/aternative access method to have a better UX?  SSH and CLI are fine, so that doesnt need to be an answer :P

Do your run a cache drive/pool?  If not, and your disks are spinning down, that might be the reason you are seeing this.  If some data needs to be pulled from disk to update the UI, you are going to be waiting for a spin-up.  I have run a cache pool ever since I first built my Unraid server a number of years ago and I've never experienced a sluggish web UI.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, BillR said:

Do your run a cache drive/pool?  If not, and your disks are spinning down, that might be the reason you are seeing this.  If some data needs to be pulled from disk to update the UI, you are going to be waiting for a spin-up.  I have run a cache pool ever since I first built my Unraid server a number of years ago and I've never experienced a sluggish web UI.

I have 2 cache drives.  Both NVME.  One for Plex by itself and the other for the rest of my appdata.  That is definitely not the issue to my knowledge

Thank you for the reply, but you not experiencing any lag at all is dubious, but I can't prove you wrong.  Are you running the webUI on the actual server?

17 hours ago, danktankk said:

I have 2 cache drives.  Both NVME.  One for Plex by itself and the other for the rest of my appdata.  That is definitely not the issue to my knowledge

Thank you for the reply, but you not experiencing any lag at all is dubious, but I can't prove you wrong.  Are you running the webUI on the actual server?

I'm actually a Limetech shill and they pay me $50 to tell people the Web GUI is fine 😆

No, but seriously, I'm at work and am logged into my Unraid server over VPN and the GUI is honestly snappy.  I have always used a good quality, speedy USB3 flash drive plugged into a USB3 port.  I wonder if that has anything to do with it?  I have honestly never had a complaint about the Web GUI performance.  I have never actually stopped to think about where the data is loading from to build the GUI - I can't tell you if it comes from cache or flash.  All I can tell you is that the Web GUI has never been sluggish for me.

Tell me if you want me to record a screen grab example and I'll post it somewhere.

load up plugins or the docker page...  heck even load up the dashboard.  also define snappy.  within a second?  I have to wait upwards of between 5-10 seconds sometimes..  Now I realize this does not sound like a lot and usually it isnt, but if you are bouncing around and have to wait on this over and over..  its beyond maddening.

No need to record anything.  I believe its snappy for you, but with the hardware and network I have, it should also be snappy...

1 hour ago, trurl said:

What do you have?

Its a long list, but the main items for the unraid server is  PRIME X399-A Mobo, 64GB DDR4 RAM, Threadripper 2950X, Quadro p2000, &  Samsung 980 1TB NVME for appdata + Samsung 970 EVO 500GB for plex appdata by itself.  Network is all unifi - UDM Pro, 24 port switch, 48 port PoE Pro layer 3 switch, all cat 6a & 7 cabling.  There is a ton more, but thats thats the meat & potatoes.  While there are far better servers here, this is not one that should have this issue.  Especially the docker page.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

The Plugins page takes a few seconds to check for updates, and the Apps page has to get content from the internet. Other than that, all other pages load instantly for me.

It takes more than a few seconds for me usually, but I understand your point. 

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Docker is a bit slower

Mine is a tiny bit slower as well for it to get completely rendered. I don't have nearly as many containers.

I wonder if it is something with the users browser or something else about the computer the browser is running on.

@danktankk

On 10/18/2022 at 12:38 AM, danktankk said:

Are you running the webUI on the actual server?