Project unDAT2012

OK, first and foremost, this project was inspired by Mashie’s Udat/Udat2010 (http://www.mashie.org/casemods/udat1.html and http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1496390). While my mods are not identical they do draw heavily on the work and ideas from Mashie. Check out his site and forum posts.

Now I’ve got the blatant plagiarism disclaimer out the way, on with the build log. :P Project unDAT2011 is based on a Morex Venus with IcyDock 5in3. It ran for about a year with the original spec as outlined below before I decided to upgrade to AMD Fusion and complete some Mashie style case mods.

Original Specs

OS at time of building: unRAID 4.6 Pro

CPU: Atom 230 1.6ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-GC230D mITX

RAM: 1 GB Kingston DDR2 533 (single low profile stick)

Case: Custom Morex Venus

Drive Cage(s): ICY DOCK MB455SPF-B

Power Supply: Enhance ENP-2222D

SATA Expansion Card(s): 4 port SATA PCI card

Cables: SATA Cables (4)

Fans: Coolermaster 80mm LED (in IcyBox)

Parity Drive: 2 TB Samsung HD204UI (with firmware update)

Data Drives: 1 TB Seagate ST31000520AS, 1 TB  Seagate ST31000340AS, 1 TB Hitachi HDS72101

Cache Drive: None

Total Drive Capacity: 5 Drives

Primary Use: Data storage, media streaming other computers

Dislikes: Not very quiet, Limited space for expansion

Add Ons Used: unMenu, Transmission, MediaTomb

External:

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01017.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

As you can see from the photos its quite a handsome little machine (please excuse the fingerprints :o ). The IcyDock is, IMHO, one of the best looking 5in3s available which works well with modest fascia of the Morex Venus. Of course the case originally sported 2 x 5.25” and 1 x 3.5” bays so a little work was done to accommodate the IcyDock. I swapped out the standard fan in the IcyDock for a more powerful Coolermaster item as the hard drives started to get a little toasty. Inevitably with the increased cooling came increased noise. The performance from the single core Atom was always adequate for streaming media and download duties but it was when I installed “Mediatomb” that the lonely CPU really started to struggle.

Internal:

DSC01020.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01039.jpg

The internals were pretty neat, not the best cable management ever but I’ve seen worse ;-) If you look closely you’ll notice the unused SATA port on the expansion card is rather close to the IcyDock. By using a cable with a short connector it was possible to use that port but given that all 5 drive bays were connected via other ports it didn’t cause too much of a problem.

Now time for the new specs and log of the case mods......

Edited by MTA99
Fixed photos

Previous Specs

OS at time of building: unRAID 4.7 Plus

CPU: Zacate E350 1.6GHZ APU

Motherboard: Sapphire Pure Mini Fusion E350 mITX

RAM: 4 GB Kingston DDR3 1066

Case: Super custom Morex Venus

Power Supply: Shuttle/Enhance ENP-2320 200w

SATA Expansion Card(s): Nil

Cables: Akasa locking SATA Cables (5)

Fans: Originally BitFenix 120mm (1), later Noctua NF-P12 (1) and NF-R8 (1)

Parity Drive: 2TB Samsung HD204UI (with firmware update)

Data Drives: 2TB Hitachi CoolSpin 5K3000, 1TB Seagate ST31000520AS, 1TB Seagate ST31000340AS, 1TB Hitachi HDS72101

Primary Use: Data storage, media streaming, backup, download box

Dislikes: Limited space for expansion

Add Ons Used: unMenu, Transmission, Sickbeard, Rsync

Future Plans: Add more data drives, add SSD cache drive, install SNAP

Boot (peak): 126w

All drives idle (avg): 40w

All drive  spinning (avg): 72w

Transcoding (avg): 70w

So top of the mod list was a rear mounted 120mm fan. Mashie did a great job fabricating custom internal rails to create space for the shuttle PSU but since I didn’t plan to use the space at the front of the case (or have the skillz necessary) I planned to put the PSU there. Using a hand nibbler a cut out the back of the case to house the fan and a small hole on the far right hand edge for the power connector.

DSC01514.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

The connector came from an old broken PSU. I soldered a right angled power cord to it, insulated it with plenty of heatshrink and ran the cable round to the bottom front left of the case (see pics below). At this stage I also drilled out a standoff on the bottom of the case that was used to mount a hard drive bracket. The standoff prevented the new Shuttle PSU sitting in the right position so it had to go.

DSC01508.jpg

Next I created a few cardboard templates for the rear panel that would hold the 120mm fan. Once I was happy with the size I marked up a 200 x 200 x 0.9mm aluminium sheet and started cutting. Being so thin the aluminium was easy to work but as I removed more of the bulk it quickly lost its stiffness. I’m planning to rework this part in 1.5-2.0mm at a later date. Once the panel was cut I sandwiched it between a fan guard and the 120mm BitFenix Spectre.

DSC01517.jpg

DSC01521.jpg

I ordered the motherboard as soon as it was available in the UK and fitted it to the case for testing. For testing the PSU sat freely at the front of the case but later it was secured with double sided tape. The cord from the right angle connector runs under the front mounted USB ports then up the other side and back to the rear mounted power connector.

DSC01529.jpg

DSC01524.jpg

DSC01536.jpg

This picture is here to illustrate how close the sata cables were to the PSU. I say "were" because as you will see later this was modified

DSC01532.jpg

DSC01538.jpg

I sourced 2 Fractal design 40mm fans to replace the stock items on the APU heatsink and in the PSU. I shortened the cables to match the length of the original items and keep the installation neat. While the Fractal fans were quieter the pitch is higher and therefore more noticeable. This isn’t a massive problem since the server sits in a spare room.

The box was put back together and ran like this for about 6weeks. I sourced a few more parts then did a few more mods................

Edited by MTA99
Fixed photos

For the final set mods I added Noctua fans, a Fractal Design fan controller and Akasa locking SATA cables.

DSC02967.jpg

unDAT2011 stripped and catching some rays :D

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02971.jpg

The Fractal fan controller in a PCI slot. You can see the plastic cable wrap that was applied to all the cable s in the case to keep it all nice and tidy.

DSC02976.jpg

DSC02991.jpg

The Locking cables are slightly longer than the no name cables I had previously, so I removed the front USB, audio connections to allow the PSU to sit right at the front of the case. This gave the extra room required to comfortably fit the cables.

DSC02983.jpg

DSC02980.jpg

Some internal shots showing the wrapped and zip-tied cables keeping the airflow as unobstructed as possible.

DSC02987.jpg

DSC02994.jpg

The only thing missing is a shot of the NF-R8 fan on the back of the IcyDock. This was mounted with some velcro and connected to the fan controller. I'll add it later.

Edited by MTA99
Fixed photos

Current Specs

OS at time of building: unRAID 4.7 Plus

CPU: Intel G620 2.60Ghz LGA1155

Motherboard: Asus P8H67-I B3 Mini-ITX

RAM: 4 GB Kingston DDR3 1066

Case: Super custom Morex Venus

Power Supply: Shuttle/Enhance ENP-2320 200w

SATA Expansion Card(s): Intel PRO/1000

Cables: Super Low profile SATA cables + Custom braided power cables

Fans: Noctua NF-P12 (1) and NF-R8 (1)

Heatsink: Modified Scythe Katana 3 with custom shroud

Parity Drive: 2TB Samsung HD204UI (with firmware update)

Data Drives: 2TB Hitachi CoolSpin 5K3000, 1TB Seagate ST31000520AS, 1TB

Seagate ST31000340AS, 1TB Hitachi HDS72101

Primary Use: Data storage, media streaming, backup, download box

Dislikes: Limited space for expansion

Add Ons Used: unMenu, Transmission, Sickbeard, Rsync

Future Plans: Add SSD cache drive, install SNAP

Boot (peak): 133w

All drives idle (avg): 40w

All drive  spinning (avg): 63w

Transcoding (avg): 80w

unDAT2011 served me well for 9months or so but with more and more HD media being streamed round the house (and an increasing amount over the internet via Subsonic) the AMD E-350 APU was really starting to struggle. I'm an AMD fan so I tried to find a solution that would allow me to stick with them but with the strict/unusual set of requirements (m-itx, 5-6 sata, low power, gigabit, powerful cpu) I couldn't find anything suitable. If I'm honest I had difficulty finding anything! Being m-itx immediately restricts your choice but the main problem was the number of SATA port and/or the network controller. Eventually I happened across the Asus P8H67-I. If you google this board most e-tailers will wrongly show you either the picture of, or the specs of, the P8H67-I PRO/DELUXE. It took me weeks to realise there was a vanilla  P8H67-I with just the specs I wanted (bar the network controller).

Having found the motherboard it was just a case of ordering an Intel chip to suit, Intel network card and a suitable heatsink. The CPU and net card were easy. The Intel PRO/1000 is the only choice really and since the SandyBridge Pentiums are i3s without hyperthreading I bagged the low power G620. The heatsink was a little more tricky. Since space in unDAT has always been at a premium I initially looked for something low-profile. There's plenty to choose from and all more than capable of handling the G620 but this is Project unDAT2012..........why take the easy option :P I took a bit of a gamble with the Katana but as you'll see below it worked out just fine!

That's enough waffling from me, you came here for pictures!

DSC03526.jpg

Classic box shots ;)

DSC03527.jpg

Here's the mobo in the case with the Katana HSF in place but not fixed. The Katana is bent at 30° from vertical to allow some airflow to move over the motherboard components. Nice idea but here its not so welcome.

DSC03529.jpg

Close up shot showing the clash between the cooling fins and the cables in the back of the Icy Dock.

DSC03540.jpg

So with the most gentle of persuasion, the 30° Katana became a straight(-ish!) Rapier  ;D

DSC03548.jpg

DSC03551.jpg

If you research online for tips on bending heatpipes, you'll find very little advice.......essentially 1) Don't do it, they'll break or 2) Go slowly or expect 1. For the record I covered the fins and base with some fabric (to protect my hand from cuts) then applied smooth, even pressure to the fins. When I felt the heatpipes give a little, I stopped, checked the new angle then applied more pressure. No heating, no special tools, just luck!

DSC03558.jpg

This shot shows the other reason for straightening the Katana, I can ditch the supplied fan and use some of the cool airflow from the rear fan. Before moving on I wanted to say that the build quality of the Katana is superb. It feels solid, the cooling fins are well manufactured, the mounting options are simple and the fan super quiet (although not as quiet as no fan).

DSC03543.jpg

Glamour shot of the G620. At this point I built the system and memtest-ed it for 18hrs or so. It passed without issue.

DSC03566.jpg

This photo is rather poor but it just about demonstrates the next problem. The existing data and power cables connected to the Icy Dock protruded too far out and wouldn't allow me to push the 'Dock fully into the case. I'd anticipated this so had a few bits on order.

DSC03628.jpg

Pass-thru sata connectors and braiding.

DSC03630.jpg

Add a couple of molex connectors and voila!

DSC03631.jpg

Ahem, didn't quite work first time :o Weak connections identified and fixed

DSC03633.jpg

The custom power cable fitted in the case, very low profile. You'll also notice the the super skinny, short SATA cables.

DSC03634.jpg

More SATA cables, here routed along the base of the Katana.

DSC03698.jpg

The connectors on these cables are the shortest I've ever seen. They were fairly pricey but great quality.

DSC03593.jpg

The more observant reader will have spotted this in its finished form just a few photos above but don't scroll up, the next shot shows it in all its glory.

DSC03706.jpg

I had access to a laser cutter so took the opportunity to build a little shroud to help direct some of the rear fans airflow through the heatsink (the logo is me testing the engraving capabilities of the Epilog Mini).

DSC03703.jpg

Here it is in place. My brief testing shows that it drops temperatures by a massive 1°C  ::)

DSC03713.jpg

While we're on the subject of laser cutting acrylic, I also cut a replacement fan bracket.

DSC03591.jpg

With most of the interior sorted it was just a case of adding a few UCD finishing touches.

DSC03667.jpg

New feet.....

DSC03692.jpg

......and aluminium thumb screws  8)

DSC03687.jpg

So there you have it, unDAT2012.............to be continued  ;)

Edited by MTA99
Fixed photos

Very nice job there. Lots of work went into this nice little case. Too bad they don't make cases that don't need any modifications at a reasonable price.

Did that power supply come with the case? I assume you had to move it to make room for the icy-dock?

If you look at the first internal shot (top down) you'll see the original power supply and the Icydock. There's a reasonable amount of clearance. When I cut the hole for the 120mm fan, the original PSU had to go and was replaced with a Shuttle item. Spent ages trying to find one that would fit under the Icydock at the front of the case and be narrow enough to let me use the right angle power cord and route the cables on the other side.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the lack of replies guys. I forgot to check back here

Wow!  That's a lot of fine work.  Great pictures and write up.

Thanks Rajahal. Could this inspire you to create an additional prototype design using the Fractal Array R2 for those looking for a space saving server?  :P

Looks nice. I notice you're in the UK. Was the HP Microserver available when you started your project? It's a similar form factor and might have been cheaper?

I thought about swapping it for a Microserver when they did the cash back deals but I've enjoyed the work and its a little more flexible than the HP. If I want to upgrade to i3 or Llano I can.........as long as there's a suitable itx mobo and low profile cooler  ;)

I absolutely love it.  I love shuttles.  This is totally hands down cool!!

Thanks  :)

Thanks Rajahal. Could this inspire you to create an additional prototype design using the Fractal Array R2 for those looking for a space saving server?  :P

We have a SFF design using a LIAN LI PC-Q08 case on the GreenLeaf Technology site.  It is not hotswap like yours, but it can hold 6 internal 3.5 and 1 internal 2.5.  There is also an external 5.25 bay that could in theory be populated with a 3.5 or mulitple 2.5 in drives.

I occasionally get slow transfers but I put that down to the fact that my main desktop is upstairs and connected via 200mps powerline rather than cat5/6 ethernet like the rest of the house.

Ok, but when you say slow transfers, how it's low? because on my Gigabit network i got on Samba 10MB/s with Shared folder and 15MB/s with direct disk access.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of hours to work on the server today. I would show you more but the light wasn't very good so the photos didn't come out very well. So instead I'm going to tease you some more  ;)

Testing my custom braided power cable - this is UCD after all  ;D

DSC03631.jpg

1000 geek pts if you can guess what this is all about

DSC03641.jpg

Edited by MTA99
Fixed photos

MTA99

I'm sure you don't mind, but I reduced your images shown in the forum because they where HUGE. Nothing more than a tag in your post, but you might want to reduce your images just a tad so they don't blow up browsers.

On a side note man that thing is NICE.......................

• 4 weeks later...

MTA99

I'm sure you don't mind, but I reduced your images shown in the forum because they where HUGE. Nothing more than a tag in your post, but you might want to reduce your images just a tad so they don't blow up browsers.

No worries Kizer but who can't handle 1024px? :P

Cheers!

MTA99

No worries Kizer but who can't handle 1024px? :P

Cheers!

Most can, but you have to account for the framing of the forum which reduces your screen visibility so in turn every image you would have to scroll side to side to see. ;) On my Dual 19's at work running 1024x768 it looked odd, but on my 27" Mac running 2500x1920 I didn't have any issues. LOL

None the less its a sweet server you have there.