Download question

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hello,

I'm a total Newbie with unraid I'm doing the trial right now to see if I can manage to use it, 

So far I'm doing not bad. 

I had a quick question, from all the disk I put in my server I can download files remotely but not folders.

I'm remotely away from my server and try to download a work folder but cannot do it... just can download files.

I've search the forum and manual... but didn't find an answer that I understood. lol

I'm just looking for something super basic, access my files remotely and download them.

Thanks for your help

Ben

You need to provide more information:

First, is your 'remote' connection on your LAN or on the Internet?

Second, if on the internet, how are you connecting to the Unraid server?

Third, what OS is your client computer (the one that you are downloading to) running?

Fourth, are you getting an error message and, if so, what is that message?

Fifth, are you trying to download a sub-directory rather than the top level directory, i.e, with the User Share name?

Sixth. you are doing a copy and not a move...

Sorry if these questions might seem to be a bit simple minded but experience has shown that some beginners have a high learning curve ahead of them...

Thank you very much for your help, 

I totally understand what you mean, most of what I read on this forum is a kind of a foreign language to me. Hopefully I'll manage to just make it work for my basic needs.

So here it is: 

Just to put you in context, I manage to do what I want via SMB when I'm in the same house, I just mount the folders or drives and work as if they were connected to my computer. But I'm clueless to how to do it in my other home via internet.

1) My remote connection is in a different home 

2) I just logged through the unraid page on chrome (with all the menus) when i'm on the lan, I don't know where to go for remote internet connection.

3) My computer is a Mac Pro

4) No errors, when I open the unraid gui I can download files, but not folder... via smb everything works though

5) I'm trying to download a folder inside a disk share I made...(still from the browser app)

6) What I'm actually trying is just download the complete folder, files have the ""download'' option, folders don't.

Sorry for my so basic knowledges, I hope my answers make sense.

Small question: can you mount drive via smb even when you are not on a lan? that would be amazing for a newbie like me to treat my Nas as another drive.

Thanks a lot 

Ben

• Solution
6 hours ago, Benenemy said:

3) My computer is a Mac Pro

I am going to ping @wgstarks as I believe he is a Mac user. Hopefully, he can provide you with some further insight.

4) No errors, when I open the unraid gui I can download files, but not folder... via smb everything works though

5) I'm trying to download a folder inside a disk share I made...(still from the browser app)

I am a Windows 10 User and have no problem downloading a directory from within a share.   (I can download a User Share with Windows 10 but it is not a straight click-and-drag operation.  However, I don't see much call to do such an operation as User Shares are usually so large that they would not fit on a simple hard drive.) 

Small question: can you mount drive via smb even when you are not on a lan?

I believe you can.  Look up Wireguard by googling    unraid.net wireguard     for several guides on how to do this.  You should by able to mount any of your User Shares as a drive on your MAC.  I read into the above question that you already know how to so that. 

Do NOT expose your Unraid server by putting it directly on the Internet.  It is not harden to withstand the hacker attempts that will probably start within a few minutes after you expose it!

I’m assuming you’re using the file browser to download files from within the gui. It’s not possible currently to download directories that way but you could request it via the support thread for that plugin.

To connect to the server via smb on a Mac you would press command k keys in Finder. This will open a connect to server window. Just enter smb://<IP or host name of server>. If the connection is successful you’ll see a list of all the shares and you can double click one.  It will be mounted and you’ll see it on your desktop if you have that enabled in preferences.

I don’t have much experience with wireguard. As long as it assigns addresses on the same subnet as the unRAID server this should work though.