Mover settings per share

Possible could get this added via mover tuning but it would be great to have mover settings per share.

So for example I want my backups share to move to the array as soon as possible but I want my plex downloads to hang around on the cache for 30days... at the moment I have not found a way to do this.

Also we need some kind of simple GUI for mover progress

Edited by dopeytree
  • Like 1
On 10/20/2022 at 3:23 PM, dopeytree said:

Possible could get this added via mover tuning but it would be great to have mover settings per share.

So for example I want my backups share to move to the array as soon as possible but I want my plex downloads to hang around on the cache for 30days... at the moment I have not found a way to do this.

Easy do like I did. Set up your user share to backup to the array vs SSD. You can't get any more instant than that. ;)

• 2 months later...

I'd love to see per-share mover settings as well.  I have a similar use case...I want my Appdata backups (~300GB file) to write to the cache, and then stay on the cache while it's transferred to my external storage.  I want to benefit from the fast read and write for the backup processes.  Once that's done, the mover can move that huge file onto the array so it's not soaking up valuable NVMe cache space.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 5:38 PM, Andiroo2 said:

the mover can move that huge file onto the array so it's not soaking up valuable NVMe cache space.  

Actually, you want appdata, domains, and system shares to stay on cache or other fast pool and not on the array, so Docker/VM performance won't be impacted by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

8 minutes ago, NGHTCRWLR said:

+1 to Mover Settings per Share

Each share already has settings that control what mover does with its files.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Actually, you want appdata, domains, and system shares to stay on cache or other fast pool and not on the array, so Docker/VM performance won't be impacted by slower array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

Oh I keep those on cache…I’m referring specifically to my backups that I want to move off the server quickly after creation and then archive them on the array for safe keeping. 

Edit:  I’ve manually implemented this by calling the per-share mover script via scheduled task:

find "/mnt/cache/CommunityApplicationsAppdataBackup" -depth | /usr/local/sbin/move -d 1

Edited by Andiroo2
  • 4 months later...

Or an option with Mover Tuning to ignore settings and move certain shares on a schedule or something.

I have the same issue; I have my backups going to an SSD for write speed, but I don't want them sitting there taking up space that could otherwise be used for frequently accessed files that I'd like to keep on the SSDs for a longer period.

My implementation is going well, some good news and some bad news!

Good News:

• Per-share mover functionality is fully up and running.
  • GUI created and functional.
  • Initial testing shows expected results.

Bad News:

• The per-share mover settings will run at the same time as the normal mover. There will be no separate mover schedules.
  • It will only work for cache-->array moves (shareUseCache="yes"). This is because the current Mover Tuning Plugin only uses the settings for this move (to the best of my knowledge). But I believe this is probably covers 95% of peoples use cases anyway.
  • It's gonna require more testing and validation before release.

Supported Settings:

• Use CTIME (as opposed to MTIME)
  • SIZE: Move based on min size.
  • Sparseness: Move files based on min sparseness.
  • FILES LIST: Ignore files in a list. <-------- I might remove this one, because it doesn't really make a difference and is more limited
  • FILE TYPES: Ignore specified file types.
  • HIDDEN: Ignore hidden files and directories.
  • Move All From Cache Threshold: Toggle only, threshold set in main settings.
Edited by Swarles
Changed to cache-->array
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 10/21/2022 at 9:23 AM, dopeytree said:

Feature has now been officially released!

On 10/21/2022 at 9:23 AM, dopeytree said:

I believe hugenbdd has created something like this but it requires some kind of manual implementation for now, you can see the relevant files on his GitHub.

• Thanks 1