Nvidia RTX 4090 Passthrough to gaming VM

Go to solution Solved by hot22shot,

Hello

I purchased a Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB from Gigabyte. I know I know.... it's a pretty new video card and not too many sane people are buying them. Let alone trying to use them in Unraid.

I've been trying to passthrough this graphics card to my gaming VM but I only get a black screen when I boot. I can't find anything on the web or these forums about the 4090 and unraid yet. :(

I've tried following 

1) Followed Spaceinvader One's excellent tutorials which worked for my 2080 and 3080ti perfectly.
2) I tried the Techpowerup video rom for version 95.02.18.00.C1 which is my card without editing out the header and with the header edited out.
3) I got the newest version of NVflash64 just yesterday which allowed me to save the vbios rom directly from my card via a windows 11 build and tried the vbios rom as is and with the edited-out header. See attached Roms 4090 Original and 4090edited.
4) I have tried selecting and not selecting the graphics card and sound via Tools and system devices.
5) I've tried without a video Rom at all which seems to work for my 3080ti.
6) Tried building a new VM's using Q35-7.1 and i440fx-7.1
7) Tried Seabios and OVMF TPM

I do see the bios screen and Unraid boot sequence.

Unraid is showing the video card under system devices.

I'm still getting a black screen in each of these configurations when I start any VM with the 4090 as the graphics card.

I'm guessing that editing the Video ROM isn't working the same as the older Generation nvidia cards?

Server is booting via UEFI

Server version is 6.11.1

Main card is my Nvidia 2080

Secondary card is my 4090 and was my 3080ti. I can't even put the 4090 in the first pci-e slot because it's so huge.

Tested VMs running windows 11 and windows 10

I'm wondering if anyone has had any successful passing through a Nvidia rtx 4090 yet?

Maybe I just need to wait for a newer version of Unraid? 

I have attached my diagnostics which I grabbed while the 4090 was installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Indy

4090edited.rom 4090orginal.rom unraid-diagnostics-20221020-1758.zip

As far as the vbios attachments, the edited rom is not edited from the original (there are a lot of differences if hex compared). Use a vbios dumped from your gpu and edit the header; the rom you will use must start with 0x55AA: if you don't remove the nvflash header the vbios will not work.

Add video=efifb:off to your syslinux configuration.

Configure the gpu in the xml as multifunction (search forum).

• Solution

I had the same issue with a 3090 TI, it was due to the large memory of the card and resizable bar.

By default the UEFI does not have enough address space, as your card has the same memory as mine, I suppose you have the same issue.

You just need to edit your XML, you'll find a solution in this topic in my last post : 

Edited by hot22shot
  • 1 month later...

@indy1250 any luck? I was only able to get to the "TianoCore" bios and then it's stuck without booting into windows.

@hot22shot I added the qemu parameters to the XML

EDIT:

i got the video card work. I changed the boot order to have windows iso installation as 1 and my main hdd as 2. I let the "press any key to install windows" timeout and then it booted into windows. *go figure*

Edited by demoxi
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone had a success in running RTX 4090 on Windows 11 VM ? 

Whenever I run Windows 11 VM for some period the screen goes black eventually and never returns. The os seems to be running fine meanwhile, but no picture at all.

Running the same setup in Windows 10 VM works just perfectly fine. And I tried RTX 4090 on my bare metal Windows 11 installation and there were troubles with running games, they simply crash soon after start. But screen didn't turn black.

• 6 months later...