Action Center Enabled

Go to solution Solved by ChatNoir,

• Solution

This is a feature of Community Applications, not Unraid itself.

From what I understand, it takes some time to start once you open the Apps tab, but then adds the Action centre where you can update different type of Apps from one place (plugins, docker containers, translations).

For more details, you should ask on the Community Applications support thread.

image.png.4bbd25df5969ea3d293436333616d8cf.png  

image.thumb.png.9e101be73f7ae785052b2985e200b305.png

Edited by ChatNoir
removed improper link
  • 2 weeks later...

As its "just" an annoyance not a problem, i understand that you probably don't want to invest much time into adding an option to disable it...

As to why

I don't really see the usecase for myself. 

It shows that i have container or plugins which need updates

That functionality is already there. Plugin/docker page.

In my case i have some container that i can't update for compatibility resons, which means it is always there blinking like something is wrong... 

It also feels like its taking longer to load, probably just placebo but again "just" annoying.

I hope that explains the why :)

1 hour ago, CryoRig said:

That functionality is already there. Plugin/docker page.

Here's my long term goals

#1 - Removal of the plugins tab

#2 - Removal of the docker tab

So far as I'm concerned, each of them is more or less redundant due to Apps (especially the Plugins tab).  

So you want to integrate both into CA? Is this your plan or unraids?

Sorry if this sounds mean but what the hell? Why would i choose the extremly space inefficient ca style over the current list style? 

That makes no sense to me... 

I guess if this is happening i should look for a different managment for my containers

Edit

Please don't take this wrong. 

I am not saying ca looks bad, just that the catalog style that works great for ca doesn't work for managment of a whole range of containers/plugin lists. At least in my opinion. 

Edited by CryoRig
  • Upvote 2

Primarily because anything historically that the docker tab / plugins tab can do, CA does better without the inherent design limitations.  Right now you have two completely separate areas that function differently for additional apps to your server, rather than a unified area and interface for them.  

While there are significant design differences between a plugin and a container, IMO they are fundamentally the same (simply an app you're installing) and are just different delivery mechanisms.

As I said, it's a long term goal.

• Confused 3

Would also be very much against removal of the Docker tab, CA is nice as a browsable store and for basic use but the Docker page is way more convenient for management. I don't see how all the extra info/commands that are on the Docker page could be presented efficiently within CA... plugins I'm kinda fine since they're "install and forget", no interaction needed with them there.

Also time, no point loading the entire store contents to manage what's already there. 

And yes I'm one who very much dislikes the trend of replacing nice information-dense UIs where you have everything under your eyes with minimalist pretty views but that require constant navigation...

Edited by Kilrah
  • Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Squid said:

Curious as to how... It appears if there is something that needs attention when you go to the Apps tab.  It also disappears after 10 seconds

For the same reason that pop-up blockers are now standard on web browsers. With the greatest respect for all of your contributions to unraid (which are many) the notification is just annoying to look at. There's a glowing red/black icon on the left. How much attention of mine does it need exactly?

3 hours ago, Squid said:

Here's my long term goals

#1 - Removal of the plugins tab

#2 - Removal of the docker tab

So far as I'm concerned, each of them is more or less redundant due to Apps (especially the Plugins tab).  

I honestly hope you don't make this the default. I'd be searching for something to revert the GUI or just avoid updating until I absolutely had to for functionality.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

Primarily because anything historically that the docker tab / plugins tab can do, CA does better without the inherent design limitations.  Right now you have two completely separate areas that function differently for additional apps to your server, rather than a unified area and interface for them.  

While there are significant design differences between a plugin and a container, IMO they are fundamentally the same (simply an app you're installing) and are just different delivery mechanisms.

As I said, it's a long term goal.

I strongly disagree. CA is a great interface for finding new applications/plugins. It's not even close to dense enough for management though. It's way over simplified to ever replace the docker tab. It's like using file explorer with extra large icons. That's great for it's specific use, which is browsing photos, but terribly inefficient for generally interacting with the filesystem.

Docker has a lot more management to it than just functionality extension. Plugins don't need start/running status, port assignments, or folder mounts, log file popups, etc.

After CA's rich catalog and interface, the docker management tab is without a doubt the 2nd most useful feature Unraid has. It's far, far superior compared to Synology or Truenas implementations. I can say this with confidence because I run and interact with all 3 platforms daily. CA is a huge value add to Unraid. The docker tab is already the best GUI for managing single app stacks I've used, and that includes front ends like portainer.

Squid, CA is (excepting the update nags) a great tool. It doesn't need to do everything. Speaking for me personally, the system we have for finding and managing apps is as close to perfect as I can think of.

Edited by DarkKnight
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I wanted to share a couple of observations about the 'Action Centre Enabled' notification.  @Squid I presume the main intent of the yellow notification is to both draw attention to the fact that there are items that have available updates as well as the clickable left navigation 'Action Centre' item.  The banner, in it's current location and behavior, has a good chance of detracting from this goal.

1.  It's full width, at the very top of the page, and it is overlaying the page content.  Banners of this type,more times than not are conveying something more significant than new functionality on a page area unless it provides more of a verbose description and may even have a clickable link in it to take the user to the new functionality.  From an information architecture hierarchy perspective, it would be much more clear if the banner was shown under the App tab, and above the page content see mock below.  Additionally, it would be better if it pushed the page content down so it wouldn't overlay and then pull it back up when it dismisses. 

2.  Since it is being shown every time the user navigates to the app page (while there are available updates), it once again is detracting from the overall goal of drawing attention to the Action Centre which is where the user can take care of these items. 

image.thumb.png.aed5747a8d243356676346683ad859c8.png

image.thumb.png.0070346ec5a7259326c28fceae216cae.png

Frankly, my overall observation is that the banner is probably not the right UX tool to use in the first place.  It seems the real intent is conveying that there are actionable items for the user to address in the Action Centre.  This is already somewhat accomplished by the pulsing triangle/exclamation point icon in the left nav.  It would be driven home even more effectively if the same icon showed up beside the 'App' tab in the top navigation (when there are items that require attention).  This would act as a bread crumb of sorts prompting user exploration to find out what the icon is trying to convey.  Once a user discovers the functionality, the job is done.  After all, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Probably would need a better icon that would work on light or dark backgrounds...

image.thumb.png.b915f8d2419e097cf7a4b56d1f2faa23.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 5:29 AM, Squid said:

You cannot disable it.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:24 AM, Squid said:

Here's my long term goals...

Please reconsider both of these ideas.

I have yet to find a single user, either in threads online or talking to personally that finds either of these to be a good idea.

There seems to be quite a large and virtually unanimous consensus around the following:

1. There needs to be a way to disable the annoying "Action Center" banner notification and

2. The Docker and Plugin tabs should stay separate from the Apps tab which is good for search and discovery.

• Upvote 1

Action centre in addition is not working correctly for me. It eg never shows updates of the regis container.

Here available updates are only shown in the docker tab.

As others said. Apps is great for finding new apps, as here the additional information is very helpful.

I personally also like the redundancy of the action centre, where all available updates, both for dockers and plugins are in one place.

No problem to also show that on the seperate docker and plugin tabs seperately.

On 12/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, paulymorph said:

It would be driven home even more effectively if the same icon showed up beside the 'App' tab in the top navigation (when there are items that require attention).

Don’t give them any ideas. JFC, the whole point is that these are just minor updates. Since certain popular docker containers are automatically rebuilt every few days, this is basically all the time. The extra notifications are not necessary at all, and truthfully speaking, actively disliked.

Edited by DarkKnight
  • 1 month later...

There is no good reason to not have a simple toggle switch somewhere in the settings, "Action Center Banner: Disabled". Having a undismissable* banner pop up every time the page loads is not good UX at all. If the reason for this is "People should just update their apps", my response is "Stop telling me how to manage my server." Maybe I have something pinned to a specific version for compatibility or stability, in which case I don't care how much you nag me, I'm updating that app when I feel comfortable. Or, what if I have my server on auto-update cycles? Now the banner is just being annoying because I'm DEFINITELY not going there to update out of cycle if I don't need to!

If you're hell-bent on having this intrusive banner be mandatory, at the VERY least put an X somewhere so I can get rid of it myself.

Re: stated goals, I am also not in favor of removing/condensing the current tabs at all. When I want to manage plugins, I go to the Plugins tab. Docker, Docker tab. Nice and simple. "Apps" is too generic for these specific management functions, and in its current state I think the layout is actually quite acceptable. You go to Apps to find and install things, and you go to the respective management pages for management functions.

* - "It goes away after 10 seconds." Sure, but you can't dismiss it before that, so it's still undismissable. You must wait, whether you want that banner or not.

6 hours ago, CryoRig said:

Well, since Squid was being so intransigent to making the banners optional, and Limetech is not reacting at all to this, I started using Adblock to just block the banners like you would any other annoyingly disruptive or badly designed element on a webpage a long while ago. 

Seems ridiculous to need to rely on Adblock to solve problems in the Unraid GUI, but here we are. 

I wouldn’t call this ‘problem solved’ because it’s clear that since people keep responding to this post months later, it’s irritating a lot users. Making it dismissible isn’t a replacement for making it optional to begin with. It’s just the least that could be done. Like others, I don’t want to look at it at all. Nag warnings are not an improvement, and ‘action center enabled’ is extremely vague unless you already know what it means.

• 1 month later...

Getting rid of the Docker tab sounds horrible and insisting on keeping that Action Centre enabled notification active is.... a really odd choice to be fair.

Docker containers and plugins are not just different delivery algorythms to achieve the same in my honest opinion.

Plugins typically extend the capability of the host OS and docker applications are more like user apps. To me those are severely differnt things.

I'm really puzzled by those views. I also don't think having the app store and the app presentation of already installed apps as a unified place in one tab is major UX progress.

More nesting does not always equal more simplicity and overview....

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, hdlineage said:

Need a way to disable the notification. Thanks.

It's a banner that shows up and disappears by itself after 10seconds that doesn't cause any issues.  You can always click the "x" to dismiss it during the 10 seconds and it will stay dismissed for your session on 6.11 or for 30 days on 6.12+