Intel onboard 3.5mm audio passthrough stopped working.

JorgenK

Hi,

I'm on 6.9.2.

I have a virtual machine to which I passed through the intel onboard audio. I used the 3.5mm output. It worked the first time I tried it and has been running for a week or so.

The VM did however crash hard when installing a Logitech keyboard driver of all things. It messed up the vdisk and I was unable to repair it with the windows 10 tools. I had a recent backup of the vdisk, which I started using.

During the process where i tried to repair the windows WM I restarted the server.

As I didn't expect a problem I ran all the windows updates after restoring the backup of the vdisk, to get the VM to the same status as before the crash.

tower-diagnostics-20221024-1618.zip

Can anyone see what went wrong when restoring the VM backup and restarting the server?

Jörgen

Extra information:

I have used a passed through Quadro P400 for video, but it can not be used for audio because of how the audio amplifier present itself when the TV is on or off. Even bare metal windows 10 has problems with this amplifiers behavior when switching.

The only thing I can see is that your audio at 00:1f.3 doesn't support reset.

Since it is grouped with isa bridge, memory controller and smbus and since the smsbus has the i2c_i801 kernel module, I would try to add to the syslinux config this:

modprobe.blacklist=i2c_i801,i2c_smbus

Reboot the server, start the vm and see if it works.

Note that when you reboot the vm only, without rebooting the whole server, audio may not work.

Thanks for your reply. I tried this but I got the same message about not being able to restart the device and the audio device could not start in windows.

I think that this issue will need to be put on hold. Some testing yesterday, before trying your suggestion, make me think that something else is wrong. The VM crashes, I have tried recreating it many different way and I was able to recreate the problems in Windows and Ubuntu. This made the audio issue less important to sort out even if it will need to be fixed eventually if I want to replace my main desktop with a virtual machine.

The VM fails soon after I pass through the GPU. But, it gets worse. The problems continue when changing back to VNC, but while still using the passed through USB keyboard. I could do many restarts and used newly restored virtual machines for a while. Then rebooted and added the USB keyboard to the VM. It would crash reasonably soon after that with or without a passed through GPU. Sometimes within minutes and sometimes it can work for a long time, just to fail after a restart.

I have had a few VM's running over the last years without any problems and they still run fine.