Failed resolving https://mothership.unraid.net

Go to solution Solved by ljm42,

Just installed recently, I restarted my unraid after installing the plugin. It does show online from time to time but it doesn't last longer than 10 seconds. I have seen different type of errors as well, such as Unexpected token and Timed-out connecting to "https://mothership.unraid.net/relay" . Anyone could help me with this?

image.png.b47b4793fc5d13018c634a21f625400e.png

image.png.c1d793b54a731af28fc2280553ca96ff.png

2 hours ago, Wong said:

Just installed recently, I restarted my unraid after installing the plugin. It does show online from time to time but it doesn't last longer than 10 seconds. I have seen different type of errors as well, such as Unexpected token and Timed-out connecting to "https://mothership.unraid.net/relay" . Anyone could help me with this?

image.png.b47b4793fc5d13018c634a21f625400e.png

image.png.c1d793b54a731af28fc2280553ca96ff.png

What's the command to run the api report?

What version of the My Servers plugin do you have? Please update to yesterday's release:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/112073-my-servers-releases-and-announcements/#comment-1186943

This can happen if there is a temporary Internet outage between your server and ours. If it is short then it really isn't a big deal, maybe we can look at toning down the messaging so it isn't so scary.

If you have long outages on the latest release and your Internet is up please, upload your diagnostics.zip (from Tools -> Diagnostics)

28 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

What version of the My Servers plugin do you have? Please update to yesterday's release:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/112073-my-servers-releases-and-announcements/#comment-1186943

This can happen if there is a temporary Internet outage between your server and ours. If it is short then it really isn't a big deal, maybe we can look at toning down the messaging so it isn't so scary.

If you have long outages on the latest release and your Internet is up please, upload your diagnostics.zip (from Tools -> Diagnostics)

chrome_iVAvbgyWtr.png

it is a big deal. my server is not functioning, goes offline every 20-30 mins for 3-4 mins at a time. 

diags attached. 

no internet outages on my end. 

bigboss-diagnostics-20221103-1609.zip

Edited by boianski
10 minutes ago, boianski said:

it is a big deal. my server is not functioning, goes offline every 20-30 mins for 3-4 mins at a time. 

diags attached. 

no internet outages on my end.

Thanks for the diagnostics. Your logs have a bunch of this:

Nov  3 13:36:26 BigBoss  nmbd[19247]: [2022/11/03 13:36:26.642310,  0] ../../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:923(send_udp)
Nov  3 13:36:26 BigBoss  nmbd[19247]:   Packet send failed to 192.168.122.255(137) ERRNO=Network is unreachable
Nov  3 13:36:26 BigBoss  nmbd[19247]: [2022/11/03 13:36:26.642361,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:1639(retransmit_or_expire_response_records)
Nov  3 13:36:26 BigBoss  nmbd[19247]:   retransmit_or_expire_response_records: Failed to resend packet id 17179 to IP 192.168.122.255 on subnet 192.168.122.1

Nov  1 11:39:44 BigBoss kernel: TCP: request_sock_TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 25871. Sending cookies.  Check SNMP counters.

So something is causing your network to go offline.  The My Servers messages are a symptom of the network going down, not the cause.

I'd recommend opening a new thread in the General Support area of the forums, be sure to include your diagnostics:

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/55-general-support/ 

Before doing that you might want to uninstall the plugins marked as incompatible with Unraid 6.11.1.  And if you want to rule out My Servers as the source of the issues feel free to uninstall it as well - although I hope you'll reinstall it once your underlying problems are resolved :) 

On 11/3/2022 at 4:29 PM, ljm42 said:

Thanks for the diagnostics. Your logs have a bunch of this:

Nov  3 13:36:26 BigBoss  nmbd[19247]: [2022/11/03 13:36:26.642310,  0] ../../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:923(send_udp)
Nov  3 13:36:26 BigBoss  nmbd[19247]:   Packet send failed to 192.168.122.255(137) ERRNO=Network is unreachable
Nov  3 13:36:26 BigBoss  nmbd[19247]: [2022/11/03 13:36:26.642361,  0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:1639(retransmit_or_expire_response_records)
Nov  3 13:36:26 BigBoss  nmbd[19247]:   retransmit_or_expire_response_records: Failed to resend packet id 17179 to IP 192.168.122.255 on subnet 192.168.122.1

Nov  1 11:39:44 BigBoss kernel: TCP: request_sock_TCP: Possible SYN flooding on port 25871. Sending cookies.  Check SNMP counters.

So something is causing your network to go offline.  The My Servers messages are a symptom of the network going down, not the cause.

I'd recommend opening a new thread in the General Support area of the forums, be sure to include your diagnostics:

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/55-general-support/ 

Before doing that you might want to uninstall the plugins marked as incompatible with Unraid 6.11.1.  And if you want to rule out My Servers as the source of the issues feel free to uninstall it as well - although I hope you'll reinstall it once your underlying problems are resolved :) 

Considering so many people are having this same issue, why would you think we are all having network issues? My network has been rock solid both on the LAN and WAN side and I'm getting this same error. Have been ever since the upgrade to 6.11.1.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:11 AM, LittleMike said:

Considering so many people are having this same issue, why would you think we are all having network issues? My network has been rock solid both on the LAN and WAN side and I'm getting this same error. Have been ever since the upgrade to 6.11.1.

Sorry you're having trouble. There are several error messages discussed in this thread, can you please show a screenshot of the one you are currently getting along with a description of how long you've been seeing it, whether it is intermittent, etc? Please upload your diagnostics.zip as well (from Tools -> Diagnostics)

Note that we were having some issues yesterday which could have resulted in some error messages, but those have been resolved:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/112073-my-servers-releases-and-announcements/#comment-1189788

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 6:21 PM, ljm42 said:

Sorry you're having trouble. There are several error messages discussed in this thread, can you please show a screenshot of the one you are currently getting along with a description of how long you've been seeing it, whether it is intermittent, etc? Please upload your diagnostics.zip as well (from Tools -> Diagnostics)

Note that we were having some issues yesterday which could have resulted in some error messages, but those have been resolved:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/112073-my-servers-releases-and-announcements/#comment-1189788

Same issue as the other poster, like I mentioned. It resolved itself, but then just happened again today. I got this error:

ERROR [getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND mothership.unraid.net]

Do you want the whole diagnostics file? Because everything else is working just fine. It's just the My Servers plugin that fails and every single time it appears mothership.unraid.net becomes unavailable. Is it normally pingable? Because it's not as I type this.

unraid-api.txt

21 hours ago, LittleMike said:

It resolved itself, but then just happened again today.

It sounds like there was an intermittent problem, either on our end or on your end or somewhere in between. 

We haven't widely announced it, but you are welcome to check our new status page when you are having issues:
  https://status.unraid.net/ 
I don't see any evidence of a problem on our end, so that means it was likely on your end or somewhere in between.

ERROR [getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND mothership.unraid.net]

This is a DNS error. It likely means that the network connection between your server and your DNS server was down. 

If the only thing that is affected is this error message then you can probably just ignore it. However, if your whole server has network connectivity issues during this time then this is a symptom and not the cause.

Do you want the whole diagnostics file? Because everything else is working just fine. It's just the My Servers plugin that fails and every single time it appears mothership.unraid.net becomes unavailable.

The whole diagnostics would have been helpful because I could have looked for other evidence that DNS was having issues. I assume everything is back to normal at this point? If it happens again, please grab diagnostics while the problem is happening.

Just to be clear, when you say "the My Servers plugin fails" what exactly do you mean? Is this error message in the upper right corner of the page the only evidence of a problem or is there something more? I just want to be sure I am understanding the issue.

Is it normally pingable?

No the server is not pingable. The status website mentioned above would be a good way to see if the problems on our end.

2 hours ago, ljm42 said:

It sounds like there was an intermittent problem, either on our end or on your end or somewhere in between. 

We haven't widely announced it, but you are welcome to check our new status page when you are having issues:
  https://status.unraid.net/ 
I don't see any evidence of a problem on our end, so that means it was likely on your end or somewhere in between.

This is a DNS error. It likely means that the network connection between your server and your DNS server was down. 

If the only thing that is affected is this error message then you can probably just ignore it. However, if your whole server has network connectivity issues during this time then this is a symptom and not the cause.

The whole diagnostics would have been helpful because I could have looked for other evidence that DNS was having issues. I assume everything is back to normal at this point? If it happens again, please grab diagnostics while the problem is happening.

Just to be clear, when you say "the My Servers plugin fails" what exactly do you mean? Is this error message in the upper right corner of the page the only evidence of a problem or is there something more? I just want to be sure I am understanding the issue.

No the server is not pingable. The status website mentioned above would be a good way to see if the problems on our end.

Again, nothing on my network is having an issue. The server itself did not appear to be having any issues other than DNS lookups to unraid.net failing. I took a diagnostics snapshot, I just didn't upload it. You can find it here. I didn't do a deep dive, but like I said, everything else is working just fine as far as I can tell. All my containers and VMs are running, including outside facing frontends with external URLs

blackpearl-diagnostics-20221128-1538.zip

29 minutes ago, LittleMike said:

Again, nothing on my network is having an issue. The server itself did not appear to be having any issues other than DNS lookups to unraid.net failing. I took a diagnostics snapshot, I just didn't upload it. You can find it here. I didn't do a deep dive, but like I said, everything else is working just fine as far as I can tell. All my containers and VMs are running, including outside facing frontends with external URLs

So looking at logs/syslog.txt, early on I do see that DNS looks like it was setup correctly:

Nov  9 22:36:22 BlackPearl dnsmasq[11285]: reading /etc/resolv.conf
Nov  9 22:36:22 BlackPearl dnsmasq[11285]: using nameserver 192.168.1.1#53
Nov  9 22:36:22 BlackPearl dnsmasq[11285]: read /etc/hosts - 2 addresses

But then yesterday, the DNS configuration broke:

Nov 28 07:27:34 BlackPearl dnsmasq[11285]: no servers found in /etc/resolv.conf, will retry

I don't know what would cause that, but it would mean the server could not do DNS lookups which explains the error message from My Servers. I also can't tell if it was fixed?  What do you get if you open a web terminal and run:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Looking at system/plugins.txt, we can see that at the time diagnostics were taken, the system was not able to download the list of current plugin versions for comparison:

Could not download current plugin versions

So something was going on with your server's networking (likely the broken DNS) and the error message from My Servers is another symptom of it.

My recommendation would be to upgrade to 6.11.5 (not much point in troubleshooting an older version). Then if you see the error message again, try checking for plugin updates, I imagine it will fail. Grab a fresh diagnostic and post to General Support asking for help with a networking/dns issue. Feel free to tag me, but I'm hoping someone else will see something that I don't.