Hard Drive Failure during rebuild

zevin_d

Really hoping someone smarter than me knows how I might recover from this.

I had a disk (Disk1) start reporting reallocated sectors, 24 of them. I ordered a new replacement, swapped it in and started a rebuild. 75.3% of the way through, Disk3 just starts dying, 10,000+ reallocated sectors, bad read and writes. Progress slowed to ~190kb/s and basically stopped progressing. So then my Idea was to put the "less bad" drive back in (Disk1), and use the NewDisk to replace/rebuild Disk3. However unraid doesn't recognize it as the old Disk1, and wants to do a rebuild on it, which I know will fail. 

Any tips on how I might be able to not lose all my data would have my eternal gratitude!

You can recreate the array with old disk1, but it will only work to rebuild disk3 if the array is unchanged since the disk was removed, i.e., no writes done to the array, though note that a small number of writes is always made by just starting the array, so even without any extra writes there are no guarantees, but it might be worth trying if the disk is not very damaged.