Fenvi T919 passed through to MacOS VM Issue.

pavo

So I have confirmed an issue with any version of Unraid above 6.10.3 and passing through a Fenvi T919 pci card to a macOS VM. It will show inside the macOS VM but as soon as you connect the Wifi to any network, it will crash macOS. This also happens on any other VM OS as in Windows and Linux VMs. There has been something changed in Unraid higher than 6.10.3 that doesn't allow this device to be passed through to a VM correctly. If you need anything from me so you guys can figure this issue out, please let me know and I will post it.

6 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Yeah pretty much the same results but it is 100% an issue with Unraid not a SMBIOs issue. Something changed in the way vfio or the kernel handles passing through the wifi pci card to the VM. It's crashes the VM on any OS if you are using any version of Unraid higher than 6.10.3. Test this on both AMD and Intel systems with the same issue.

I really don't know how to fix this, sorry...all I can say is that vfio and new kernels are bugged as hell...so I suppose this is related to the kernel and vfio, rather than qemu/libvirt. I don't have the fenvi, on another linux host I have no issues with kernels 5.10, 5.15 (which is the kernel I'm currently using) and 5.17; kernel 5.18 and 5.19 worked quite ok but usb mouse started to lag in the first minutes after starting the mac os vm. Kernels 6.0.x have serious problems with vfio and video framebuffers (host seems to hang, but it's not, it simply doesn't output any video when vfio is loaded). Didn't try 6.1 RCx, but I imagine nothing has change looking at the changelogs.

On 11/4/2022 at 3:30 PM, ghost82 said:

This could suggest a kernel issue:

6.10.3 --> kernel 5.15.46

6.11.x --> kernel 5.19.x

Can confirm it doesnt work with 6.11.2 also. 

Windows on the other hand with 6.11.2 does not seem to have any isses with passed through Fenvi card.