License Transfer (2nd in less than 12 months)

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

I am using Unraid to run VMs for employees in my small engineering firm to utilize.  I love unraid but have had terrible luck with flash drives.  When I first set this system up I took note of this post:

Based on this post I bought a Samsung Fit Plus drive which lasted for a few months before it began dying randomly and causing issues.  I followed the standard procedure at https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device to move my system to a new Samsung Fit Plus thinking that I just got a lemon.

That second Samsung Fit Plus has now encountered the same problem as the original.  I need to get this up asap so I emailed the requested information to [email protected] per the wiki post above and got an automated reply that it may take 3 days for me to get a response.  3 days without this system will cost me thousands of dollars so I need to find another path.

I have a backup of my flash drive.  Is there just a way to buy another unraid license and move my configuration over without the key or something like that?

Thanks for the help, guys.

16 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

Did you try to first contact support ?

There is a limit for the automatic flashdrive change, but Limetech can probably help you out if you provide enough information to identify you (email address, etc.)

As mentioned in my post I sent an email where the wiki says to send one and got an auto reply that they would respond within 3 business days.  The cost of an Unraid Pro license is inconsequential to me compared to the labor cost I will lose if I wait three days.  That's why I made this post asking if there was another way to move my configuration over to a new flash drive with a new license, etc.

• Solution
15 hours ago, SuperDodge said:

As mentioned in my post I sent an email where the wiki says to send one and got an auto reply that they would respond within 3 business days.  The cost of an Unraid Pro license is inconsequential to me compared to the labor cost I will lose if I wait three days.  That's why I made this post asking if there was another way to move my configuration over to a new flash drive with a new license, etc.

Yes, if you set up a new flash drive with a trial, purchase the license, then copy the entire config folder to the newly licensed flash without the old *.key file.

Since you say you are having issues with the flash drive I'm assuming you are working with backup files from the drive, so just make sure you keep the key file with the physical key it was issued to, and overwrite the rest of the config folder's content with the active server config files. Probably should just remove the old dead *.key file from the backup you are working with, and make a separate copy of the newly issued key file and label it to correspond with the new physical USB stick.

I'm not sure how clear I was, so if you have questions just ask.

P.S. Are you using a USB 2.0 connection to the motherboard? Typically that results in less issues. My favorite USB drives are all metal and relatively large, for good heat dissipation.

@SuperDodge, your license is generated for a specific flash drive using the GUID of that flash drive.  It is contained in a file with the extension of .key and is stored in the /config folder.

If you order a new license for the replacement flash drive, make a backup of that new flash drive before you do any overwriting of the /config folder!  There are two ways to do this:

1. Shut the server down.  Pull the flash drive and plug it into your PC and make a complete copy of its contents.
  2. On the Main tab of the GUI, click on Flash under Boot Device.   In the Flash Device Settings section, you will find a 'FLASH BACKUP' button.  Click on that button.

The important thing to remember is that the license is stored in the .key file and that file is linked to a single Flash Drive.  It will not work with any other Flash Drive.   That is why I recommend that you back up the new flash drive before you start over writing the contents of the /config folder.  A slight slip-up can overwrite the .key file for that Flash Drive with the .key file for another Flash Drive!   If you don't have a backup of the .key file, you are screwed...