Wifi showing up as remote connection in Plex

kizer

I’m running Plex as a docker in unraid. I guess I’ll describe my setup and hopefully somebody will have an idea of what is going on.

• Plex on unraid server
  • eero mesh network mostly wired backend. 1 router using wifi back end
  • Lots of Apple devices. Ipads, Iphones and a few Apple Tv’s.

I’ve noticed some stuttering during video playback and couldn’t figure out why since I’m playing using direct play. I checked the dashboard and it shows video and audio being transcoded and it indicates remote with a bizarre IP address. 192.168.0.1. My network is 192.168.7.x.

I’ve never personally had an issue streaming anything in the house, but my son says every once in a while he will watch a movie and it pauses and then streams again. I checked what he is watching and sure enough it shows up as remote in the dashboard. He’s on wifi and it says remote.

Isn’t remote for devices that are outside of the network? All of my devices are connected to the same mesh network including all devices wired. I’m not running any separate networks or customized subnets. all 192.168.7.x

Is this a remote relay at work? I should have plenty of bandwidth in the house since everything is connected to a 1GB network.

I'll double check, but last time I looked Guest was disabled. 

After re-enabling guest it was 192.168.11.* vs 192.168.7.*

I disabled Relay in the network settings and its showing up as Local again vs Remote. I don't recall where I read it, but it seemed like a possible fix. I'm also not running required secure connections, which I've heard could trip up some machines. 

I also re-started 3 phones and an ipad and they are all appearing as local too. I don't know why the relay setting was tripping up my setup, but I'm going to leave it disabled for a bit and see if it fixes the problem I also made sure to add 192.168.7.0/255.255.255.0 in the Lan Network settings. I'm assuming that forces which ever Ip range is in it to be considered local. 

Currently by disabling relay it seems to be working the way I want it, but I'll have to see what time tells.