Can Unraid Be Used To Run a WD PR4100

I currently have a WD PR4100 NAS box with 4 x 4TB running Raid 10 using the WD OS 5 operating system. I have had this box for years with no issues running a Plex server and hosting files and used for backups.

Since my first box has run out of space, I just ordered a new (second box) WD PR4100 NAS box that will have 4 x 10TB.  Can I use Unraid on my new second PR4100 instead of the WD OS 5?  

If so would unraid be installed via a USB stick into the box or virtually via a Windows laptop (wired)?

Basically since I am setting up a new box from scratch, I like the idea of more plugin options than WD OS 5 has.  But I also want to know how Unraid compares to swapability and data integration to like Raid 10?

9 hours ago, Hobbes_Is_Real said:

Can I use Unraid on my new second PR4100 instead of the WD OS 5?

I've heard on the forums of people being able to do that on some QNAP units, never heard anything about WD"s.

You should try with a Trial licence and see what happens.

9 hours ago, Hobbes_Is_Real said:

If so would unraid be installed via a USB stick into the box or virtually via a Windows laptop (wired)?

Unraid is not installed but loaded into RAM from the USB flashdrive.

I will try it WHEN I can get my last two hard drives.  I ordered 4 x 10TB WD Red Plus drives from Best Buy for only $159 each.  Two arrived but the last 2 were delays then canceled by Best Buy.  Now just waiting for them to come back in stock.

I guess I can screw around just a 2 drives in the PR4100 and see if I can get Unraid to work on it.

How big of a USB stick should I use....giving enough room for cache, add on's, etc....?

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm running Unraid fine on my PR2100, but I would like to stop the fans from running at full speed once booted.  On another forum there's a script for this hardware for use in FreeNAS, but it doesn't work on Unraid, and I'm a bit stuck.  I'll happily pay for Unraid if I can stop the crazy fans with a script.  I'll attach it so if anyone is feeling kind enough to look for me.  I'm a noob so be as horrible as you want haha 

Thanks 

John

script