20 Drive Budget Build in Germany

Mork0075

Hello,

i would like to build an unRaid server, starting with 5 drives (using motherboards SATA connectors and one 5 drive cage), by still having the possibility to upgrade up to 20 drives (using additional cages and SATA cards). The type of build should be a budget build.

The main problem i have is, that the hardware suggested in the wiki and forum for the various predefined builds is not mainstream hardware in germany and therefore really expensive (especially mainboards). Here's the hardware i selected up to now (preferably buying from amazon.de)

Case: SHARKOON Rebel 12 Value Black aprox. 82 EUR

UPS: Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2EU aprox. 80 EUR

Cage: ICY Dock SATA Backplane 5 in 3 aprox. 140 EUR

Can you suggest a budget mainboard, CPU and RAM which is available in Germany und comptabile with unRaid?

Many thanks in advance :)

I understand, but I'd suggest to play it save with the mobo if you want to build for future expansion.

You would want to hunt for a mobo with 2x PCIe (>= x4) slots and intel GB NIC.

If expansion means finding more uses for unRAID add-ons, a CPU with more headroom is to be considered.

BTW:

...you could save a LOT of money by not using hot-swap cages. They look cool, but unRAID will not support hot-swap anyway.

What was your estimate for mobo+cpu (sempron budget build, 30EUR for cpu + 50EUR for the mobo)?

You can save another 120 EUR from your first hot-swap cage and spend it into something else.

One can find an intel NIC based 1155 mobo and i3 combo for less than EUR200, I'd think.

Here's a nice build to get you inspired: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10427.0 with the tower you have in mind.

The scythe stabilizers start from less than 10EUR each...with a fan brackets (if needed, 3 EUR each)

and fan (starting from around 10EUR) you end up cheaper and less noisy.

You are right, the cages are only eye catchers - really expensive ones. I think i will go without them as you suggested and invest the money in a better board and CPU. I havent got an idea for a mobo and CPU, can you suggest a combination with space for unRaid add-ons which is available in germany?

You are right, the cages are only eye catchers - really expensive ones. I think i will go without them as you suggested and invest the money in a better board and CPU. I havent got an idea for a mobo and CPU, can you suggest a combination with space for unRaid add-ons which is available in germany?

....ok, here is one that is level 2 tested.

It provides lots of connectivity, but is based on the "older" socket 1156...it also has "only" a Realtek based NIC

but it should be safe, since it passed level 2 with unRAID.

It is available (looks like there is a bundle with a USB WiFi dongle that is actually cheaper than the mobo alone).

You will need a CPU with GPU inside, so an i3 must do, like this

I'd go with the boxed version (cheaper than tray version nowadays) but send the cooler into the bin and go for an extra CPU fan.

I cannot find a 1155 mobo that is certified as of today.

This looks promising: Intel DQ67OW. CPUs are here

If you want to go for a server mobo (Xeon CPUs...for LOTs of headroom), I recommend the ones from Supermicro.

They require ECC memory, but you can start with an i3 CPU and upgrade later.

These boards have dual intel NICs (one as spare or other use, since unRAID itself will only use/need one)

For 1156 socket I recommend the X8SIL-F (this, I use myself, it also passed level 1 with unRAID).

Again, no experience with 1155 sockets, but this looks nice to me.

Remember, if you go that route, go for the "-F" version of SM boards, they include IPMI (with a small onboard

GPU...Xeon's don't have a GPU, i3's do but I think a server board will not recognize it anyway).

Alternate strategy:

If you want to start fast but cannot decide for an expandable solution now,

this is a nice small box for the 5 drives you have already, tested with unRAID

(see: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.0)

and available from amazon.de or other shops with a good reputation from around 250EUR.

Depends on how long your 5 drive array will last and when you need to grow.

I tend to go with the MSI H55M-ED55 and i3 540. The CPU is about 97 EUR and mainboard around 73 EUR booth at amazon.de. This makes 170 EUR. What a pity, one can have a AMD Athlon X2 inkl. motherboard (GPU onboard) for under 100 EUR. Unfortunatly unRaid is mainly tested not on AMD (consumer) hardware.

If that is all you need right now, it looks OK to me.

Make sure the RAM will match the mobo, but Kingston RAMs never failed on me.

What about Fans (case, CPU), cables (SATA, Fan), 4-in-3 drive cage(s)...make sure that you have everything to start going.

...the economy edition of the case has different FAN layout / arrangement than the value edition and does not ship with all fans.

Where is that shopping cart from...HoH?...I bought some stuff there myself..the shop is OK.

But the description of the case is somewhat misleading regarding the fans included.