[Support] joshgaby-tor-relay

Overview: Support for Docker image joshgaby-to-relay.

Application: Tor - https://www.torproject.org/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/joshgaby/tor-server

GitHub: https://github.com/josh-gaby/tor-server

This docker will allow you to run a tor relay using the latest version of tor and obfs4proxy.

Initial Setup

1. Create a folder appdata/tor-data/config (this will be used to store the config between restarts)
  2. Download sample torrc config file from here and edit as necessary (you can find details about possible configuration options here).
  3. Save this into the config folder created above.
  4. Create a folder appdata/tor-data/data (this will be used to preserve your relays keys/data between restarts)
  5. Edit the docker parameters and run it.

Edited by josh.gaby
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I installed tor-relay and followed the instructions but the docker application won't run and I get the following error when I check the log:

Jun 20 12:22:21.001 [notice] Closing partially-constructed OR listener connection (ready) on 0.0.0.0:9001
Jun 20 12:22:21.001 [notice] Closing partially-constructed Directory listener connection (ready) on 0.0.0.0:9030
Jun 20 12:22:21.001 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
Jun 20 12:22:21.001 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

Any idea what's going on or how I can fix this? I edited the config file and it looks fine, and port 9001 is set correctly (as far as I can tell) in the docker settings in Unraid. Attached is the full log image.

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 3.27.22 PM.png

On 12/22/2022 at 6:43 AM, t3ch said:

Do you know if there is an easy way to get nyx working?

On 5/27/2023 at 11:48 AM, burgess22 said:

ooft yeah NYX would be nice trying to set up a relay to work with https://ator.io/ and a little command-line monitor would be nice

Are you wanting to enable the control port so you can run Nyx on a different computer or would including Nyx in the image be what your after?

2 hours ago, rexkwondo said:

I installed tor-relay and followed the instructions but the docker application won't run and I get the following error when I check the log:

Jun 20 12:22:21.001 [notice] Closing partially-constructed OR listener connection (ready) on 0.0.0.0:9001
Jun 20 12:22:21.001 [notice] Closing partially-constructed Directory listener connection (ready) on 0.0.0.0:9030
Jun 20 12:22:21.001 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
Jun 20 12:22:21.001 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

Any idea what's going on or how I can fix this? I edited the config file and it looks fine, and port 9001 is set correctly (as far as I can tell) in the docker settings in Unraid. Attached is the full log image.

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 3.27.22 PM.png

I haven't got ipv6 enabled myself so I haven't run into this issue. 

Have you got Unraid setup to allow ipv6 in Docker and VMs how-to-get-ipv6-address-for-unraid-docker-application?

Looking at the log output, and without seeing your torrc file, I think you might have

ORPort 9001
ORPort [2a02:908:4c1:f560::ad0c]:9001

can you try this instead (replace IPv4.address and IPv6::address with the actual IP addresses)

Address IPv4.address
Address [IPv6::address]
ORPort 9001

• Like 1
19 hours ago, josh.gaby said:

I haven't got ipv6 enabled myself so I haven't run into this issue. 

Have you got Unraid setup to allow ipv6 in Docker and VMs how-to-get-ipv6-address-for-unraid-docker-application?

Looking at the log output, and without seeing your torrc file, I think you might have

ORPort 9001
ORPort [2a02:908:4c1:f560::ad0c]:9001

can you try this instead (replace IPv4.address and IPv6::address with the actual IP addresses)

Address IPv4.address
Address [IPv6::address]
ORPort 9001

That was it! Thanks so much for your feedback. Turns out I didn't even have ipv6 enabled on the server at all (and for some reason the option to enable ipv6 was greyed out and unavailable). Adding the correct ipv4 address to torrc fixed it and now the app runs.