Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can also do that, but add an end slash to the source path or it will create a folder called old-disk-12 on destination:

rsync -av /mnt/disks/old-disk-12/ /mnt/disk12

Thanks for confirming that will work. And woops, thanks for pointing that out. That was more of a pseudo command as I am actually doing it per folder on old-disk-12 but this will be useful for someone else if they are trying to do the same things.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

...formatting is never part of a rebuild...

To be fair, "unsupported partition layout" is never supposed to be a part of a rebuild either unless you happened to have been unfortunate enough to be replacing or upgrading a drive during the brief life of version 6.11.2.  After the 12-hour array rebuild completed for me but before I discovered this was bug country, I also formatted a new drive and lost a couple of days worth of data.  I am glad this was quickly resolved.

Had this issue since yesterday adding a new 6tb drive to my array and nothing would get rid of the unsupported partition message, until I found this thread.

Did an update check, which showed the newer 6.11.3, after updating I started the array and re-tried formatting and voila disk is now working as intended, many thanks.

I've been dealing with this issue for over a week now. I've precleared my 3 disks 4 times. That is the definition of insanity.

Literally pulling what's left of my hair out as to why I get kept getting the unsupported partition layout msg. Limetech should post something on their website about this bug even though it's fixed now. A lot of people don't like to upgrade and fix what's broke. I am glad I found this thread. I just wish i found it last Wed. 

Edited by gvtci
1 hour ago, gvtci said:

I've been dealing with this issue for over a week now. I've precleared my 3 disks 4 times. That is the definition of insanity.

Literally pulling what's left of my hair out as to why I get kept getting the unsupported partition layout msg. Limetech should post something on their website about this bug even though it's fixed now. A lot of people don't like to upgrade and fix what's broke. I am glad I found this thread. I just wish i found it last Wed. 

What version of Unraid ?

If it's 6.11.2, the version has a bug that prevents formats and you should update to latest.

• 1 month later...

This information took way too long to find online. Every other post, with every other action was followed, which I have to say was infuriating. Finally found this and scaled back to v6.11.1. I purchased UNRAID in November last year so I guess I got unlucky with the version I got saddled with. Fresh to UNRAID so this was a f***** tbh, just wanted to get a new build going. Gave up after a week back then, only to try again over the last couple of days. Jfc I thought I was going insane. Spent countless days clearing disks for this, following outdated advice etc etc. Has made me feel hesitant to go with more recent releases. Anyway... what a daggy way to bring in the new year lol. Hopefully this is about as frustrating as it gets for UNRAID yeah?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 1:55 AM, DDTDDT said:

This information took way too long to find online. Every other post, with every other action was followed, which I have to say was infuriating. Finally found this and scaled back to v6.11.1. I purchased UNRAID in November last year so I guess I got unlucky with the version I got saddled with. Fresh to UNRAID so this was a f***** tbh, just wanted to get a new build going. Gave up after a week back then, only to try again over the last couple of days. Jfc I thought I was going insane. Spent countless days clearing disks for this, following outdated advice etc etc. Has made me feel hesitant to go with more recent releases. Anyway... what a daggy way to bring in the new year lol. Hopefully this is about as frustrating as it gets for UNRAID yeah?

This still seems to be an issue in the latest release candidate: 6.12.2

Does anyone know the most recent version that this bug is fixed? Is it still 6.11.3?

Thanks and sorry if it's a noob question. I just signed up for the trial and plan on buying it as soon as the trial ends.

I just want to make sure it supports all of my non-SATA drives such as external USB drives, M.2 NVMe SSDs connected through a PCIe device that adds 8 M.2 slots, etc. 

Edited by rolltidehero
  • 2 weeks later...

I've run into this issue after trying to upgrade my parity drive. Running 6.11.5

The two biggest drives are two 16TB drives, one of them being the parity drive.

I did not know which one was the parity drive - beginner's mistake not marking my caddies. 

Removed the first 16TB drive (this was the array drive), array would not start because of misconfiguration. 
Reboot, removed the 2nd 16TB drive and switched it to a 20TB, put the 16TB array drive into the old slot. 

Array drive on same slot now states: Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

Parity create ran through, including reads on the drive showing: 

Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout. 

Any further tips I could try? 

zeus-diagnostics-20230410-1907.zip

I have a similar issue.

I was previously running 6.11.2 and replaced a date drive. 6TB to 8TB. I followed the Unraid "Replace a Data Drive guide"

The rebuild of the data drive completed with out error and I got the notification that Disk 5 had returned to normal operation.

However the new drive (8TB) was showing the "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout." Message.

The 8TB hdd is brand new and I didn't bother with a format or pre-clear prior.

I should also note that all my data drives connect to Unraid via a SAS controller. But I'm only using the SAS controller to populate my system with more drives as my mobo only has 4 SATA connectors which are being used by my 2 Parity drives and my 2 Cache drives. The SAS controller is not running it's own Raid. I have never had an issue with Unraid and using the the SAS controller to attach my data drives.

After researching on the Unraid forums, I discovered the "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout." Message is a bug with 6.11.2 and I should upgrade the OS.

I upgraded to the most recent version at the time of this post which is 6.11.5, however the "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout." message persists.

• I have tried rebooting & shutdown / power on.
  • Stopping the array. Unassigning the new drive from the array and setting it to no device (like in the "Replace a Data Drive guide") and rebooting. I hoped this would allow me to then reassign the new drive back and a disk rebuild would initiate. However after rebooting, the array has already started with the new drive re-assigned. "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout." message persists.
  • I have tried connecting the new drive via SATA directly to my motherboard and connecting 1 of my cache drives to the SAS controller. After doing this, they both are recognised by Unraid as per usual but the new drive still has the "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout." message.
  • Finally, I also tried to assigh back the original 6TB drive. However Unraid now says I can't put that drive back into the array because it is smaller than the drive it is now replacing which is the new 8TB drive...

In the Main Tab, Under Array Operation, it gives me the option to Format the new 8TB drive. However I have read that Formatting is never part of the Data Rebuild process and so I dare not touch it. 

Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

apollo-diagnostics-20230414-1902.zip

12 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Do this but start array instead o rebooting, if it doesn't mount post new diags.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I stopped the array, unassigned and started the array but the drive didn't mount. Please see attached diags.

I got a notification saying Disk 5 in error state. No device identification.

I stopped the array and now have the option to do a data drive rebuild on the 8TB drive. (I have not done this yet.)

Appreciate any further help you can provide.

Thanks.

apollo-diagnostics-20230414-2002.zip

Hi again, sorry for the late reply. Different timezones.

Apologies, I made a mistake. The drive is mountable and I've reassigned it to the array as shown in the image. But I haven't started the array yet because it's telling me if I do that, then it will Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild.
I already did a Data Rebuild previously on 6.11.2 though, so trying to avoid that process again if possible.

Happy to do it again ofcourse if need be.

Am I correct to assume if I Start the array now, then Unraid will recognize I already did the Data-Rebuild previously and there won't be another Data-Rebuild on the drive?

Here is the top and bottom screen shots of the Main.

Thanks again.

Apollo - Main Top.jpg

Apollo - Main Bottom.jpg

Following my previous post, I was no longer able to access my server after a while just leaving the server as is. I attached a monitor and took this photo.

1387783488_Apollo-Monitor.thumb.jpg.293fc04b0e0176e58d9420d9b612f1e0.jpg

I'm not sure why this happened. I guess Unraid didn't like having the drive assigned but the array stopped for a long period of time.

I did a hard shut down and booted up the server again. Thankfully I was able to log back into the server.

Due to the crash, I decided it was best to just go ahead and start the array and let the Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild happen.

When I started the array, I'm able to see the new 8TB drives FS, Size, Used, Free and View it's contents. However the Array appears to be doing a Data Rebuild and not just a Parity-Sync.

69758254_Apollo-MainTop2.thumb.jpg.3b2df0e69318bbf41239a164f7083df6.jpg

I was hoping that Unraid would recognize that I had already done a Data Rebuild back on 6.11.2 but I guess this is not the case.

I just noticed my new 8TB drive has 2.97TB already on the drive. /facepalm. This is undoubtedly from the Data-Rebuild back when I was on 6.11.2

Does this mean that even though Unraid is telling me a Data-Rebuild is in progress, whats really happening is just a Parity Sync?

The new drive is getting a lot of writes and very few reads, so it appears to be a Data-Rebuild. But why would that be necessary if Unraid can see that the 2.7TB content is already on the drive?

Edited by Aganan
  • 1 month later...