Where is your server located?

Mine are currently in my upstairs room but I'm thinking of moving them to the basement, for starters it's usually very nice and cool down there as opposed to the sweltering heat the upstairs gets, the only issue I have is getting ethernet run to that room considering just how old this house is.  Anyone have any experience running ethernet cables outside in northern climates like pittsburgh, frozen in the winter and 90+ sometimes in the summer?  Fishing the lines through the walls would be nearly impossible but I have 1 spare hole leading outside from the room with the modem and likewise into the basement's utility closet.  The nice side benefit would be I could hookup my old router down there as a switch/Access point and get better signal down there too.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done it myself, but if you wrap the cable in insulation and then protect it with PVC or metal piping then it should be OK.

Mine are currently in my upstairs room but I'm thinking of moving them to the basement, for starters it's usually very nice and cool down there as opposed to the sweltering heat the upstairs gets, the only issue I have is getting ethernet run to that room considering just how old this house is.  Anyone have any experience running ethernet cables outside in northern climates like pittsburgh, frozen in the winter and 90+ sometimes in the summer?  Fishing the lines through the walls would be nearly impossible but I have 1 spare hole leading outside from the room with the modem and likewise into the basement's utility closet.  The nice side benefit would be I could hookup my old router down there as a switch/Access point and get better signal down there too.

I helped relocate a server to the basement for a friend who was in a rented old house. What we did was use flat molded ethernet cables and routed it under the carpets all the way to the basement. This might be an option if the cost/distance works out for you.

• 1 month later...

Mine is in my basement utility room.  I used 4 sammy's (basically a lag screw with a threaded rod coupler on the end) and shot them into my floor joists in the ceiling.  then I installed 4 lengths of threaded rod and 2 pieces of unistrut to make a shelf that hangs from my ceiling.  Everything is hooked up to a UPS for battery backup. The setup works great.  Acrosse the utility room I have my gbit switches, cable tv break outs, phone patch panels, Sling box, and cat5 on a patch panel that runs to the rest of the house.  I also have a cat6a stp cable run to my upstairs gbit switch in my office.   

Mine is in my basement utility room.  I used 4 sammy's (basically a lag screw with a threaded rod coupler on the end) and shot them into my floor joists in the ceiling.  then I installed 4 lengths of threaded rod and 2 pieces of unistrut to make a shelf that hangs from my ceiling.  Everything is hooked up to a UPS for battery backup. The setup works great.  Acrosse the utility room I have my gbit switches, cable tv break outs, phone patch panels, Sling box, and cat5 on a patch panel that runs to the rest of the house.  I also have a cat6a stp cable run to my upstairs gbit switch in my office.   

Pic's be cool.

Pic's be cool.

Agreed!!  I am contemplating doing something similar so would love to get some pics/input.

Behind my TV...

When the house was built in 2004 they built a cubby hole above the fireplace for our current TV at the time which was a 32" widescreen CRT (now we regret not building it bigger of course)  there was enough of a mantle to pull the old stand out and get our 50" Panasonic TC-P50G20 plasma securely on it.  My unRAID box sits behind it on the stand connected to a gigabit switch which also connects our Popcorn Hour A210, the gigabit switch is connected to an old Linksys WRT54G which has been converted to wireless bridge duty to connect to our wireless network.

I have it connected to a UPS, temps seem fine and I have not had to move the TV to get to the server since I stuck it back there.

Only pic I have of the setup at the moment, just one of me enjoying some Modern Warfare 3 over the weekend.

photo.JPG.b8df914856b176606dd3805a95919301.JPG

• 2 weeks later...