already locked out - are there characters not to use in passwords?


Go to solution Solved by ljm42,

Recommended Posts

Are there characters you cannot use in a password?

I'm just setting things up and I already cannot log in as root.

I know from various websites that they let you set a password but then don't recognize it when you want to log in. Certain characters are causing the problem in these cases. If this is also true for Unraid there should be a warning when such characters are used.


It would also have been nice if new users were notified in advance about the number of login attempts, which is set to 3 by default.

 

Now I have to reset my password but for that, I have to shut down the server, which I can't do without having access. I don't want to pull the plug because the server is building the array and I have no idea how long that's gonna take. And even when I wait a day, it would still be a dirty shutdown.

 

Unraid 6.11.2

Edited by Rivanni
adding version number
Link to comment

I stopped the server and reset the password. I removed the following 3 characters that are often suspicious when used with poorly build sites. Now I'm able to log out and log in.

 

  ;   {  ]  

 

I'm curious if one of them indeed causes problem.

Now I have to find out why adding shares is not working, but that's another topic.

 

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Rivanni said:

I stopped the server and reset the password. I removed the following 3 characters that are often suspicious when used with poorly build sites. Now I'm able to log out and log in.

 

  ;   {  ]  

 

I'm curious if one of them indeed causes problem.

Now I have to find out why adding shares is not working, but that's another topic.

 

 

Hmm, I can't reproduce this. Using the webgui, I set the root password to:

test;{]test

and I had no problems logging back in with that same password. If you have another variant you'd like me to try, let me know.

 

Link to comment
9 hours ago, ljm42 said:

 

Hmm, I can't reproduce this. Using the webgui, I set the root password to:

test;{]test

and I had no problems logging back in with that same password. If you have another variant you'd like me to try, let me know.

 

Ah, ok, thanks for testing.

 

This was the full old password. Maybe it's the ">" sign.

gN_2K$f5!{or&T3_4;f%D#zJˆV2r+f3>e=9k]m

I'm not testing it myself as I first have to find out how to install a previous version of Unraid, since version 6.11.2 cannot format unmountable drives. Great way to start my Unraid journey. :(

Link to comment

That password does seem to cause problems, thanks for reporting! 

 

7 hours ago, Rivanni said:

I first have to find out how to install a previous version of Unraid, since version 6.11.2 cannot format unmountable drives. Great way to start my Unraid journey. :(

 

Oof, sorry you've got some bad luck there :~

 

If you need to get those drives going right now, you can easily downgrade to 6.11.1 by grabbing the zip from here https://unraid.net/download , opening it up, and copying the bz* files and changelog.txt over the same files in the root of your flash drive. Then reboot.

 

6.11.3 will be released soon to resolve this.

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

If you need to get those drives going right now, you can easily downgrade to 6.11.1

 

IMO 6.11.2 should be pulled from the installer/upgrade notification in the meantime, at this point anyone installing a new server is unable to do so...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.