already locked out - are there characters not to use in passwords?

Rivanni
Go to solution Solved by ljm42,

Are there characters you cannot use in a password?

I'm just setting things up and I already cannot log in as root.

I know from various websites that they let you set a password but then don't recognize it when you want to log in. Certain characters are causing the problem in these cases. If this is also true for Unraid there should be a warning when such characters are used.

It would also have been nice if new users were notified in advance about the number of login attempts, which is set to 3 by default.

Now I have to reset my password but for that, I have to shut down the server, which I can't do without having access. I don't want to pull the plug because the server is building the array and I have no idea how long that's gonna take. And even when I wait a day, it would still be a dirty shutdown.

Unraid 6.11.2

Edited by Rivanni
adding version number

I stopped the server and reset the password. I removed the following 3 characters that are often suspicious when used with poorly build sites. Now I'm able to log out and log in.

;   {  ]  

I'm curious if one of them indeed causes problem.

Now I have to find out why adding shares is not working, but that's another topic.

8 hours ago, Rivanni said:

I stopped the server and reset the password. I removed the following 3 characters that are often suspicious when used with poorly build sites. Now I'm able to log out and log in.

;   {  ]  

I'm curious if one of them indeed causes problem.

Now I have to find out why adding shares is not working, but that's another topic.

Hmm, I can't reproduce this. Using the webgui, I set the root password to:

test;{]test

and I had no problems logging back in with that same password. If you have another variant you'd like me to try, let me know.

9 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Hmm, I can't reproduce this. Using the webgui, I set the root password to:

test;{]test

and I had no problems logging back in with that same password. If you have another variant you'd like me to try, let me know.

Ah, ok, thanks for testing.

This was the full old password. Maybe it's the ">" sign.

gN_2K$f5!{or&T3_4;f%D#zJˆV2r+f3>e=9k]m

I'm not testing it myself as I first have to find out how to install a previous version of Unraid, since version 6.11.2 cannot format unmountable drives. Great way to start my Unraid journey. :(

That password does seem to cause problems, thanks for reporting! 

7 hours ago, Rivanni said:

I first have to find out how to install a previous version of Unraid, since version 6.11.2 cannot format unmountable drives. Great way to start my Unraid journey. :(

Oof, sorry you've got some bad luck there :~

If you need to get those drives going right now, you can easily downgrade to 6.11.1 by grabbing the zip from here https://unraid.net/download , opening it up, and copying the bz* files and changelog.txt over the same files in the root of your flash drive. Then reboot.

6.11.3 will be released soon to resolve this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 11/8/2022 at 2:32 AM, Rivanni said:

This was the full old password. 

gN_2K$f5!{or&T3_4;f%D#zJˆV2r+f3>e=9k]m

So the problem was this multibyte UTF-8 character: ˆ (which is not the same as ^)

This was fixed in 6.11.4, you can now use multibyte characters in passwords if desired:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/131122-unraid-os-version-6114-available/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1