Bizarre - After new home router can't access UNRAID box, but it is online and can ping devices.

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hi!

So, I installed a new home router.  I had briefly changed, on the GUI console, the UNRAID IP address but put it back to the original which matches my subnet.  It's online and on the same subnet.  From the UNRAID console, I can browse the Internet (w/ the default installed Firefox in the GUI), I can ping Internet IPs and DNS seervers etc.  I can ping all the devices on my home LAN, ie I can ping and receive a response from my main PC from the UNRAID console terminal.  Great right?

HOWEVER.  I cannot talk to that box from any other device.  I get no ping replies, I can't access the Web UI. (I can access it from the GUI console on the box itself).  It is bizarre. It has the correct IP, correct gateway and DNS, can talk to other devices on my LAN (ie I could browse to the router web interface, from the UNRAID console).  

My router table shows the UNRAID is connected with the same IP and mac address it has always had.  But I simply cannot talk to it from other devices.

Even the My Servers plugin is working and showing it online.  But I can't access shares, ping, nothing from any other box on my LAN (or the Internet, naturally.  My phone on Wifi can't get a ping reply nor open the web UI, nor can my hard wired PC, or another laptop.

Never seen anything like it.

Is there some security access / Firewall on the UNRAID box where if it thinks it's on a new subnet or you change IPs it drops all inbound traffic.

I'm stumped!

image.png.4b0fe71dc7c350d189016f37f137bdf0.png

EDIT:  Even more weird...  Once i put my portforwarding back on my router, I can access my nextcloud docker!  It resolves, and I can browse the web interface, use the app on my mobile, etc.  But I STILL CANNOT ping, access shares, or access the UNRAID server web UI from any machine on my LAN.

Edited by monofurioso
more info
  • Solution

Try this.  Boot up into the GUI and generate the diagnostics file.   Look while it is being generated and it will tell where it is being saved-- most likely in the /log folder on the boot drive.  Shut the server down and get the file copied back to your PC after you do the next step.

In the GUI, go to   Settings   >>>   Network settings     Then look for the "IPv4 address assignment:"  setting and change it to Automatic.  (You may have to shutdown the Docker service.)  You are now ready for the shutdown from the first step.

Reboot the server.  (It may now have a new IP address.)    See if it works now.  Otherwise, post up the entire diagnostics file in a new post in this topic/thread.

(I am suspecting that you have two devices assigned to the same IP address.   There are ways to prevent this but using DHCP should fix this problem...)

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

DHCP should fix this problem...

So, I changed it to DHCP, but reserved the same IP that had been static on the router.  So it reboots, same IP, but this time through a DHCP reservation, and... all good.  No idea, why that worked but I appreciate the suggestion!  

Edited by monofurioso