Unraid OS version 6.11.3 available


Recommended Posts

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

 

Bugs: If you discover a bug or other issue in this release, please open a Stable Releases Bug Report.

 


Version 6.11.3 2022-11-08

This release is focused on bug fixes and minor improvements. In particular, we need to revert a base library due to a bug which prevents formatting devices >2TB in size.

Management

  • Reverted 'libpopt.so.0.0.1' to workaround 'sgdisk' bug used to format devices larger than 2TB.
  • Fixed issue where description setting for 'root' user was not preserved across reboots.
  • Fix issue that sometimes information window opens empty.

VM Manager

  • Set correct values when edit for USB Boot and correct Share Selection.
  • Add Nic boot order.

Base Distro

  • gptfdisk: version 1.0.8 (revert from version 1.0.9)
  • libXext: version 1.3.5
  • libXinerama: version 1.1.5
  • libdrm: version 2.4.114
  • libedit: version 20221030_3.1
  • mcelog: version 190
  • ntfs-3g: version 2022.10.3
  • openssl: version 1.1.1s
  • openssl-solibs: version 1.1.1s
  • pixman: version 0.42.2
  • sessreg: version 1.1.3
  • sudo: version 1.9.12p1
  • xsetroot: version 1.1.3
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

This was a CRITICAL bug and I almost lost 10Tb of data because of it, do not haste to add newer versions unless they are checked. This should really only happen on a BETA version.

Edit: Well, we will see in 5 hours if I have lost anything or not, I am not out of the woods yet. I am reffering to the over 2 tb disk format in the old version not this one.

Edited by skyfox77
  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, skyfox77 said:

This was a CRITICAL bug and I almost lost 10Tb of data because of it, do not haste to add newer versions unless they are checked. This should really only happen on a BETA version.

 

Agreed and the QA is lacking at best. I will be holding off to any other upgrades.  My 6.9.2 to 6.11.1 was a bit shaky and it broke some stuff.  I will let you guys jump in front of it and test and iron all the bugs for me :) 

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, skyfox77 said:

This was a CRITICAL bug and I almost lost 10Tb of data because of it, do not haste to add newer versions unless they are checked. This should really only happen on a BETA version.

Edit: Well, we will see in 5 hours if I have lost anything or not, I am not out of the woods yet.

Uhm details to share so others have an idea of what to look out for???

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, skyfox77 said:

This was a CRITICAL bug and I almost lost 10Tb of data because of it

It was an unfortunate issue, but it should not cause any data loss, you'd get an unmountable disk if there was a disk replacement, but just needed to unassign the disk and the emulated disk would still mount and show all the data, then downgrade to a previous release and re-assign the replacement disk, after the rebuild starts you could even cancel and upgrade back.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, skyfox77 said:

This was a CRITICAL bug and I almost lost 10Tb of data because of it, do not haste to add newer versions unless they are checked. This should really only happen on a BETA version.

Edit: Well, we will see in 5 hours if I have lost anything or not, I am not out of the woods yet. I am reffering to the over 2 tb disk format in the old version not this one.


I’ve stepped back from the forum in recent times but felt compelled to login and respond. 
 

(Un)Raid is not for backup, it’s for for availability. If you are sensitive to “Loss” of data you should take appropriate steps to back it up based on your risk appetite for the unexpected. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, danioj said:


I’ve stepped back from the forum in recent times but felt compelled to login and respond. 
 

(Un)Raid is not for backup, it’s for for availability. If you are sensitive to “Loss” of data you should take appropriate steps to back it up based on your risk appetite for the unexpected. 

 

I had the same problems - I spent hours trying to fix and ordered a replacement drive. It is the potential loss of online data and TIME that caused me headaches.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, spants said:

 

I had the same problems - I spent hours trying to fix and ordered a replacement drive. It is the potential loss of online data and TIME that caused me headaches.

That makes sense. Loss of data availability and time to fix an issue is I agree something you would prefer to not have to deal with. Hope all is back up and running for you. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, danioj said:

That makes sense. Loss of data availability and time to fix an issue is I agree something you would prefer to not have to deal with. Hope all is back up and running for you. 


Thanks - Still working on it in the background 🙂
I use Proxmox as a Hypervisor with unRaid as a VM. I was in the process of removing encryption from my drives for the possibility of moving the drives to a MergerFS and Snapraid system on the host instead of unRaid (or possibly ZFS).

Link to comment

Well, after updating from 6.11.2 to 6.11.3 and rebooting, my cache drive, and both of my cache pools disks became unassigned.  This caused libvert to be unfindable obviously so none of my dockers or VM's started.  Last night on 6.11.2 my Windows VM stopped booting (which I was afraid would happen because of the boot order issue I asked about in the 6.11.2 thread).

 

 

I have had to revert all the way back to 6.11.1 to get a working machine again.

 

Please let me know what I may do to help.  However, my day is pretty full.

 

craigr

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I just tried to upload my hardware configuration with hardware profiler and that failed, "Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later."

 

However, all of my hardware is in my signature.

Edited by craigr
Link to comment
11 hours ago, skyfox77 said:

This was a CRITICAL bug and I almost lost 10Tb of data because of it, do not haste to add newer versions unless they are checked. This should really only happen on a BETA version.

Edit: Well, we will see in 5 hours if I have lost anything or not, I am not out of the woods yet. I am reffering to the over 2 tb disk format in the old version not this one.

 

To be honest I'm really getting discouraged around trusting my data to Unraid. I updated to 6.11.1 because the SMB performance in 6.10.x was absolutely horrible compared to earlier versions. Then 6.11.2 has a severe bug that seems inexcusable and may cause data loss. And, after 4 years of many reporting the issue and even YouTube videos made on the subject, the USB installer still hangs for a great many of us at "syncing file system." And the list goes on with lots of issues that should have never been released or been fixed long ago. Unraid isn't open source and we're at the mercy of the devs. We pay for one or more licenses yet the overall experience is we're all on our own for support as if it's open source. I haven't seen anyone from Unraid participating in 99% of the threads here. Given the many recent issues I have to wonder if Unraid shouldn't just be moved to open source? We're not getting the sort of support, or quality, one can usually expect from paid software.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Diags from v6.11.3 should show the problem, when you downgraded back to v6.11.1 the pool devices were assigned again?

Yes, my pool devices were assigned again (thank the maker).  I did of course have a backup from 6.11.1.  I recreated the flash drive from scratch using a fresh download of 6.11.1 and copied over my config directory.

 

image.thumb.png.867d506e04ce150c0b365c64e77f9649.png

 

Funny thing too is that my SSD cache pools use the SATA ports on the MB and the cache drive uses a port on my LSI controller.  Why lose ALL cache drives?!?

Edited by craigr
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, dev_guy said:

 

To be honest I'm really getting discouraged around trusting my data to Unraid. I updated to 6.11.1 because the SMB performance in 6.10.x was absolutely horrible compared to earlier versions. Then 6.11.2 has a severe bug that seems inexcusable and may cause data loss. And, after 4 years of many reporting the issue and even YouTube videos made on the subject, the USB installer still hangs for a great many of us at "syncing file system." And the list goes on with lots of issues that should have never been released or been fixed long ago. Unraid isn't open source and we're at the mercy of the devs. We pay for one or more licenses yet the overall experience is we're all on our own for support as if it's open source. I haven't seen anyone from Unraid participating in 99% of the threads here. Given the many recent issues I have to wonder if Unraid shouldn't just be moved to open source? We're not getting the sort of support, or quality, one can usually expect from paid software.

I don't know.  I've been using unRAID for over ten years and have had very few problems with complicated setups running VM's and dockers.  I use unRAID on many of my client's systems who pay me to build them servers for their home theaters.  I have found support to be quite good and developers have stepped in when necessary.  My experience has been great with only a hiccup here and there, but what I am doing is complex and I would expect this.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Diags from v6.11.3 should show the problem, when you downgraded back to v6.11.1 the pool devices were assigned again?

I can try 6.11.3 again later when I have more time and get the log files.  Right now, I just need a functioning computer.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, craigr said:

I don't know.  I've been using unRAID for over ten years and have had very few problems with complicated setups running VM's and dockers.  I use unRAID on many of my client's systems who pay me to build them servers for their home theaters.  I have found support to be quite good and developers have stepped in when necessary.  My experience has been great with only a hiccup here and there, but what I am doing is complex and I would expect this.

 

I was also generally happy with Unraid back in the 6.8.x days. But things have really changed. Can you really argue 6.11.2 should have ever been released? Is anyone at Unraid even humble about the serious mistake? Where's the participation from Unraid, versus users, in this forum over even critical issues? We're basically all on our own.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, craigr said:

I can try 6.11.3 again later when I have more time and get the log files.  Right now, I just need a functioning computer.

Please do, and if you see the same issues post the diags in a new thread in the general support forum.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.