Forum Suggestion

GaryT

Hi everybody,

This might have been suggested before, but what if we had a place were members can post their system configurations. I know if you go into the hardware section you can find some configurations, but you have to sift through 100's of posts to find what you might be looking for. If we had some kind of standard list (Hardware, unRAID Version, Bios settings, How long servers been up, problems you had, and how you fixed them). I think if we could see what harware is used most with the least problems it might make it easier for people to figure out what works well. The wiki lists hardware compatibility, but I think some of the problems people have comes from certain combinations of parts. If I wanted to build an all sata drive server, it would be nice to look at the parts list of someone else's hardware list. So what do you think ?

Thanks,

Gary T.

I think it would be better for someone with more experience than me to start. I think it's important to have a good example from someone with lots of knowledge. Once a good example is up, it's esier for less experienced people like me to follow.

Thanks,

Gary T

yeah, I see what you mean, but I havent seen Someone or Anyone for some time, hope they will back soon, there is a lot they should do :-))

We should be able to find them, as we have their full names:

Someone Else

Anyone But Me

Not sure though if But is with one or two T's :-)

/Rene

A bit cold, Rene, but we get your point.  Though apparently you aren't Someone or Anyone either.

Yes, there are compatibility lists in the wiki, but nothing like "my configuration", "gallery", or similar that would allow folks to list their full configs, speed, issues, costs, purchased at, typical uses, energy uses, notes, etc.

I am willing to start such a list, but would need some help manipulating the wiki to set it up.  I see how we perhaps can set up special pages, but I am not a wiki-guru and the craptastic formatting capabilities of the wiki engine is certainly not intuitive (and I used to hand-code HTML).  Should we use an excel upload instead?  I'm afraid we'll have version conflicts if we go that route.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Bill

cold ?, nope it is old !!. Heard those two mentioned too many times. :-)

It will probably take a few times before we get it right, like the current wiki that also started on few resources. When I messed with the Lime WIKI it was the first for me.

The whole point if WIKI is that you can start, and eventually if there is enough interest it will evolve.

/Rene