Western Digital 2TB Drive $69.99 at Best Buy stores

Disclaimer: This is for a 2TB Western Digital MyBook external drive. That said, IMO they are quite easy to disassemble and remove the drive. Gently pry open the case and everything else is attached by screws. There are also some video tutorials on how to disassemble a MyBook on YouTube.

If you want to order online it appears it is on backorder. However, if you check store inventory for pickup, there are a number of stores with inventory (At least here in South Florida). The best thing about this deal is that it satisfies the immediate gratification desires in all of us!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+My+Book+2TB+External+USB+2.0+Hard+Drive+for+Mac+-+Charcoal/9689917.p?id=1218149736678&skuId=9689917

You should also be able to use a USPS Movers Coupon good for 10% off Best Buy purchases.

Never heard of that... Obviously, I'll be googling that in a second or two. However, could you tell me is that something that one would pick up at the post office or is it a digital coupon that can be found online?

You should also be able to use a USPS Movers Coupon good for 10% off Best Buy purchases.

Never heard of that... Obviously, I'll be googling that in a second or two. However, could you tell me is that something that one would pick up at the post office or is it a digital coupon that can be found online?

They have them at the Post Office in Mover's packets. You can also get them online after you've filled out a change of address form. You'll probably be able to find the image in a Google search too though.

With the drive removed from the external case wouldn't you lose any warranty on the drive?

Uncertain.

It had used to be in the past, however, that the drives in these enclosures only had 1 year of warranty anyway. Also uncertain if this is still the case or not.

With the drive removed from the external case wouldn't you lose any warranty on the drive?

Uncertain.

It had used to be in the past, however, that the drives in these enclosures only had 1 year of warranty anyway. Also uncertain if this is still the case or not.

Warranty is now listed as 2 year limited. I usually don't worry much about the warranty since I rarely have had drives fail and I still have some pretty old (IDE)ones running around in use (not in the server).

However as I type this I am waiting for my warranty replacement of my WD15EARS so it can happen.

It has been a while since I cracked open an external to access the internal. But when u did I found the drive inside to be taped up or marked so it was clear they had come for an external enclosure. I am not sure if warranty would be honored.

EARS drives have had their fair share of early failures bases on experiences on this forum.

This deal would not be good enough for me to take the risk of early failure and warranty being denied.

Agreed. Factory-produced externals lose their stand-alone warranty. If you use the manufacturer's online warranty check it'll state it was part of a finished-goods product and not covered separately, much like drives you get as part of desktops or notebooks. The external cases invariably have "warranty void if screwed with" stickers or have to be destroyed to extract the drive.

No doubt there are exceptions for drives assembled from off-the-shelf components by some tiny manufacturer or store.

It has been a while since I cracked open an external to access the internal. But when u did I found the drive inside to be taped up or marked so it was clear they had come for an external enclosure. I am not sure if warranty would be honored.

EARS drives have had their fair share of early failures bases on experiences on this forum.

This deal would not be good enough for me to take the risk of early failure and warranty being denied.

Agreed since you can have the same drive for just a few extra dollars shipped from the egg as an internal version.