Console Login via IPMI

mifronte

I used to be able to login via the console via IPMI.  Now I just get a blank screen or IPMI reports no signal.  Is there a setting I need to enable to get this feature back?  I am currently on 6.11.2.

I like the console login via IPMI because I can open multiple sessions (Shit+function keys ?) to run multiple preclear sessions.

I can use Putty, but then I would need to keep my computer running if I don't want to lose the preclear sessions.  I haven't had the need to add or format new disks for years, but now I am planning to deal with the eventual deprecating of reiserfs by replacing my 2TB disks with larger disks.

Edited by mifronte
On 11/12/2022 at 1:13 AM, JorgeB said:

IPMI console should still work, do you get a blank screen during/right after boot or after some minutes, by default console is blanked after a few minutes. 

I lose the screen after a few minutes after boot.  If I have it up at boot, then I do get the IPMI console and can see the local console output.  It appears like unRAID goes into a screen saver mode where the local console disappears because IPMI will report a "No Signal" if I start a KVM console.

@JorgeB

Added the recommended command to my /boot/config/go and rebooted.  It did not work.  Looked like the local console is blanked out as part of the boot process because I see output scrolling and then the entire console goes blank when the server finished booting.

Should I insert the command before or after this line in the /boot/config/go?

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

I had it after.

Edited by mifronte

IPMIView 2.17 and 2.20.

I will try to downgrade to IPMIView 2.14 (don't have 2.15) to see if that solves my issue.

Edit: Nope, my keyboard input is not responding even with version 2.14.  Could it be some configuration with the IPMIView software?  I think it used to work until I upgraded unRAID and lost the local console screen, but never looked into it until now since I never had a need to access the local console for a long time.

IPMIView.thumb.jpg.40ad1de421d9b8de9a598ca6254a5640.jpg

Edited by mifronte

@JorgeB

What X7 motherboard are you using?

My X7SBE has an add-on daughter card (AOC-SIM1U+) to provide IPMI functionality.  I have a feeling the IPMI firmware (V1.64) is just too old to work with IPMIView.  I also have a Supermicro A1SRi-2758F with built-in IMPMI functionality on the motherboard and IPMIView works fine.  So I may be SOL with my unRAID server.