New Build - need a bit of advice

KermitJr

Howdy, fellow unRaiders!

My original MSI K9A2 Platinum is showing it's age and I'm looking for some serious upgrade.

Drives:

- 1 parity

- 3 data (for now)

- cache

- 2 dedicated nvme for 2 x VM

Dockers:

- Plex - running a half dozen concurrent streams

- Deluge

- Cloud

- Pi

- Arrs... x2

- Minecraft server

VM:

- Windows with Blue Iris (6 cams)

- Windows with NVidia GPU passthrough for workstation

Might run a BTC lightning node, etc.

I was looking at TR for bifurcation support and stupide upgradeability later on. However, the iGPU of intel caught my eye, etc.  My understanding is that I can use the iGPU for plex transcoding and the nvidia for workstation. The Blue Iris VM could run without a dedicated card.

I'm trying to spend a bit more now for upgradeability later (add some RAM, new cpu, etc.)

Appreciate your thoughts and input. 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BCWXNc

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($499.88 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.95 @ Amazon) 
Thermal Compound: Noctua NT-H1 3.5 g Thermal Paste  ($8.94 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Taichi EATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($469.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate EXOS Enterprise 14 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate EXOS Enterprise 14 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark ATX Full Tower Case  ($249.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1200 Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($258.89 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2497.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-14 15:54 EST-0500

@Vr2Io Thanks!

That's very interesting indeed. I wasn't sure how well 13th gen was supported by the kernel. I know 12 was spotty for awhile, but if 13th is fixed also, I'd definitely be up for power savings (or performance boost).

So let's pretend I just up it to 13900k.

How well does the gpu passthrough (add-in card) work? I've spent years looking at Threadrippers and bifurcation issues. I somewhat understand it, but what impact does moving to intel have? Think I'll still be good to go?

Thanks,

Kermit

9 hours ago, KermitJr said:

How well does the gpu passthrough (add-in card) work? I've spent years looking at Threadrippers and bifurcation issues. I somewhat understand it, but what impact does moving to intel have? Think I'll still be good to go?

I haven't much solid experience on GPU passthrough and bifurcation ( currently haven't use either ), you need/plan many NVMe ? GPU PT and BF always are trouble stuff, quite depend on mobo.

On 11/15/2022 at 5:01 AM, KermitJr said:

Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Taichi EATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Pls double check does this mobo have bifurcation support. ( My Asrock Z390M-ITX have that after FW update but never mention in manual )

Pls note we usually talking bifurcation means Single slot support different PCIe lane grouping, i.e. 16x slot support in 16 / 8+8 / 8+4+4, but below talking about two PCIe slot support working in 16+0 or 8+8 by hardware PCIe switch, both are different thing.

image.png.bf0685f56a0586b8a58bed14006ab8a6.png

Edited by Vr2Io

Okay, so maybe I've had a bit of confusion on the bifurcation issue.

The LGA1700 socketed boards allegedly have x8/x8 bifurcation for the x16 slots. That means that I could have 4 cards in the two gen5 slots and possibly 2 in the gen4 slot? Am I correct on this?

Assuming the onboard SATA are enough for now, I don't need an HBA. I have a couple of nvme accessible for VM, cache, etc. Could also use m.2 to sata converter, if needed

From a GPU card perspective I think I only need 1-2 GPU for VM (the igpu handles host and plex transcoding).

I MIGHT need a 10GB nic later (but I could run a 10GB nic and GPU on x8/x8, right?).

I think I was confusing VMs and IOMMU with bifurcation, etc.

QUESTION: With the above board, is it correct to assume I can run everything I'm thinking and passthrough two GPUs to 2 VMs? 

Another option is the Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER EATX LGA1700 Motherboard - couple of hundred cheaper but also has 10GBps ethernet built-in. I don't see a significant difference on z690 to z790 that impacts me.

@abbzer0 I saw your thread on the z690 board you have and i9-12900k - curious as to your thoughts.

Many thanks to all.

KermitJr

1 hour ago, KermitJr said:

QUESTION: With the above board, is it correct to assume I can run everything I'm thinking and passthrough two GPUs to 2 VMs? 

Yes

I don't see a significant difference on z690 to z790 that impacts me.

Yes, for my understanding Z690 and Z790 mainly different on PCIe lane support,Z790 have more Gen4 lane ( chipset lane not CPU lane ). But this not means mobo will utilize it, different mobo have different design.

couple of hundred cheaper but also has 10GBps ethernet built-in.

That's great have 10G NIC built-in.

image.thumb.png.1841854e19a4e23997279bb33698567d.png

Edited by Vr2Io
  • 3 weeks later...

@Vr2Io, just wanted to say that folks like you are the reason I love unRaid (that, and it's a phenomenal product!).

I made some shifts and went with the following. Was hoping to have it up and running by now but I was fussed at for purchasing so close Christmas, so now I'm literally staring at the boxes every day for the next three weeks... ;-)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jVqnrD

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor  ($659.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Taichi ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5200 CL36 Memory  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($195.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($263.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-212DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1899.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-01 12:11 EST-0500

I'll keep you posted, but wanted to say thank you for the inputs!

Be blessed,

KermitJr

• 1 month later...

@Vr2Io , et. al.

Took me a bit of time due to personal schedule, but things are humming along nicely!  Really wanted to say thank you on the 12900k vs 13900k power discussion.  I did end up opting for the 13900k for a couple of reasons, power usage being one of them.

While I've not attached my Kill-a-Watt specifically to the server (upcoming project), I have been monitoring the usage according to the UPS. Perhaps not the most accurate, but it's been interesting. I'm running the cable modem and wireless router and server through it. Normally averages 70-75 watts. Running parity check (14,8,8,8) with torrents in the background and even a plex stream or two barely breaks three digits with the highest semi-consistent I've seen being 117W (Even I thought that suspicious so I just spun up for a parity check to confirm).

Needless to say ... I'm a very happy camper / Unraider!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and help. 

I got a minecraft server running and few more services my older one choked on. Next up is VM with GPU passthrough. Fun times!

Take care,

Kermit

14 minutes ago, KermitJr said:

While I've not attached my Kill-a-Watt specifically to the server (upcoming project)

Those meter really good and cheap, the major part is could you flash the firmware. I have about 5-6, use 3 now.

Perhaps not the most accurate, but it's been interesting.

Agree. I also monitoring UPS and other non-RMS meter, but reading different really quit large and not much make sense.

I did end up opting for the 13900k

🥳

Edited by Vr2Io