Server unresponsive every other day

Go to solution Solved by zingerburger,

Hi all,

I'm at my wits ends trying to figure out what is causing my server to go unresponsive every day or 2. By unresponsive I mean I'm not able to access the server via IP, no ping response and everything on the server stops working. I have to hard reboot it to get it back up. I don't have a video card on the server though will be purchasing a cheap GPU to put in it to see if there's any message from the server.

I have also checked syslog files at time of crash and there is nothing logged at the time of crash.

I've attached the diagnostics files, I don't know where to even begin when looking at the log files. I would appreciate if someone with more knowledge could have a look through and see if there's anything that stands out.

Last time it crashed was about 9pm (21:00) last night 15 Nov

tower-diagnostics-20221116-0917.zip

Edited by zingerburger
5 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

You should check that FAQ entry :

Unraid's logs are stored in RAM as is all the OS and are lost on boot.

If the changes above do not solve your issue, you should set up a syslog server and attach that file after the next freeze/crash.

Thanks for your reply. When I did syslog I did it to my PC to log all events, at the time the server crashed nothing was logged in syslog.

In regard to Ryzen based systems, I've been running Unraid on this system with no changes for several years without issues so not sure if that is the cause of the issues.

Leading me to believe it's a possible hardware issue though not sure? I will try syslog again on the PC to see if anything else is logged and will post it.

12 minutes ago, zingerburger said:

In regard to Ryzen based systems, I've been running Unraid on this system with no changes for several years without issues so not sure if that is the cause of the issues.

From experience of users on the forum, it seems that the problem can popup from slight server changes or OS updates.

In your situation, I'll look into it.

• Solution

Server crashed again after 4 days; syslog has no entry for time when it crashed. I noticed at one stage fix common problems noted it detected a hardware error and pointed to this page - Fix Common Problems More Information - Plugin Support - Unraid

Although I'm on latest OS so using NerdTools and there's no mcelog?

EDIT: I think I have found the culprit, looked like an application (Blue Iris) that I was running in a windows VM had a memory leak issue. They have since updated/fixed the issue and am now going on 7 days without a crash!

Edited by zingerburger