Any markup language available?

mgutt

The "insert code" form is a huge pain in this forum software. It's extremely slow and it's "fancy" syntax highlighting makes it even slower.

Isn't there any bbcode / markup / html code usable to avoid this form?

Like:

<code>HTML style</code

/code Atlassian cloud style

[code]bbcode style[/code]

Stackoverflow style (4 whitespaces)

```

Github hub style

```

The Atlassian markup is my absolute favorite as it is the fastest way and inserts the code block directly into the textarea while typing the code.

And: Why does it force line breaks in code blocks?! This makes code in the mobile view unreadable.

• mgutt changed the title to Any markup language available?
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 4:33 AM, mgutt said:

Isn't there any bbcode / markup / html code usable to avoid this form?

I have enabled this: 

Enable BBCode Parsing
"BBCode is a legacy markup language that was originally designed to allow users to submit rich content prior to the advancement of WYSIWYG editors. BBCode support is deprecated and may be removed in a future release, and we recommend leaving this option disabled for greater performance and reliability if your community does not rely on BBCode parsing to format posts."

Looking into the other settings....

On 11/19/2022 at 4:33 AM, mgutt said:

markup / html code usable to avoid this form?

Like:

<code>HTML style</code

/code Atlassian cloud style

bbcode style

Stackoverflow style (4 whitespaces)

```

Github hub style

```

The Atlassian markup is my absolute favorite as it is the fastest way and inserts the code block directly into the textarea while typing the code.

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 1.45.52 PM.png

I don't see a way to adjust the code blocks. Given the above, are you saying the HTML drop down doesn't adhere to normal syntax?

bbcode test

On 11/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, SpencerJ said:

are you saying the HTML drop down doesn't adhere to normal syntax?

The main thing what bothers me is the popup itself. If you quote something, then it does not open a popup. It simply inserts the quote inline. So why does it differ for the code insertion?!

And the popup is not only a popup. It has a loading time?! It shows for 1 to 3 seconds a loading circle. What does it do? Loading 3 million javascript files? ^^ I think this is because the syntax highlighting feature which nobody (?) needs. So I hoped it can be fully disabled.