Unraid OS version 6.11.5 available

limetech

As always, prior to updating, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Bugs: If you discover a bug or other issue in this release, please open a Stable Releases Bug Report.

Version 6.11.5 2022-11-20

This release reverts a change which modified the wrong file. This resulted in not being able to select 'macvlan' custom docker network type. New installations only will now have 'ipvlan' selected by default.

Docker

• fix: Set IPVLAN as default only for new installations.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, lusitopp said:

Ok, maybe a stupid question and maybe it doesn't belong here, but is it prefered to switch from macvlan to ipvlan for us that use macvlan still?
I have no problems that I know of using macvlan, but if ipvlan is the new defualt it should be better, right?

theres arguments that macvlan is more efficient than ipvlan in terms of cpu utilisation (at least from me googling the subject when I was deciding) but i think its in the realms of 'i can save 0.1% on my grocery bill by running the london marathon' meaning you shouldn't give a shit about it.

macvlan comes with the requirements of promiscuous mode a lot of the times (which can increase latency from reading into it) and also to allow forged mac transmits.

so pick your poison really, but macvlan seems to me to be the worse of the options compared to ipvlan

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lusitopp said:

I have no problems that I know of using macvlan, but if ipvlan is the new defualt it should be better, right?

As you prefer, for some time now that macvaln can crash the server for some users, it usually happens every few days, and macvlan related call traces are usually logged before the server crashes, if you have no problems you can keep using it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, tuxbass said:

Is it just me or does it seem like QA is slipping with the 6.11? Last few releases feel like putting out fires.

I feel like that's been the case since 6.10 really. I used to wait a few days and then update but now that I know there are going to be 5+ point releases, what's the point. I will wait a month and let everyone else beta test.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

After the upgrade to 6.11.5, macvlan was set (?)

The upgrade to v6.11.5 keeps the old setting, if it was macvlan it remains macvlan, if it was ipvlan it remains ipvlan, maybe you upgraded from v6.11.4, the GUI with that release would always show ipvlan even if it was using macvlan.

Just now, JorgeB said:

The upgrade to v6.11.5 keeps the old setting, if it was macvlan it remains macvlan, if it was ipvlan it remains ipvlan, maybe you upgraded from v6.11.4, the GUI with that release would always show ipvlan even if it was using macvlan.

Strange... when i set to macvlan, plex is unrachable, so it was ipvlan before because plex was working...

2 hours ago, tuxbass said:

Is it just me or does it seem like QA is slipping with the 6.11? Last few releases feel like putting out fires.

Exactly what users asked for. 

it used to be a small group would do all the testing and it would take months. Everybody asked to be included in the process to speed up releases. Sure some of the changes can be annoying, but at least unraid allows us to report bugs, which you have to admit are addressed pretty quick and  roll back. ;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kizer said:

it used to be a small group would do all the testing and it would take months. Everybody asked to be included in the process to speed up releases. Sure some of the changes can be annoying, but at least unraid allows us to report bugs, which you have to admit are addressed pretty quick and  roll back. ;)

Ye not complaining, just taking a note. I'm relatively new user myself, only been with unraid since 2016. The releases used to be rare, same with patching. Now the patches follow minor version releases in rapid succession. Have really vanilla needs though, so haven't been affected.

I'm in the group of release often and just handle those more risk adverse through stable/beta tagging. You'll find and fix a lot more of the small issues like this one with a larger deployment.

People have the option of staying where they are if they don't want any of the updates.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, tuxbass said:

Ye not complaining, just taking a note. I'm relatively new user myself, only been with unraid since 2016. The releases used to be rare, same with patching. Now the patches follow minor version releases in rapid succession. Have really vanilla needs though, so haven't been affected.

Totally understand. I've seen people get really heated because of to slow releases or to many rapid ones. Just wanted to clear the air just a bit. ;)  I can't speak for limetech, but when your constantly innovating or trying to come out with little upgrades knowing your users depend on insuring the integrity of our data things can be slowed down a lot. 

I'll take the dribbling of little updates here and there knowing things are going smoothly vs HUGE changes that could cause problems in my Environment. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, tuxbass said:

Plus, You might recall the first two paragraphs in this post about 6.11.0 from LimeTech:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/128645-unraid-os-version-6110-available/#comment-1171912

It was suppose to be a simple housekeeping release to update some packages and address some CVE's prior to a bigger feature release down the line.   A confluence of factors meant that this was not to be!  (I am expecting that version 6.12.0 will not see the light of day for many months.  And I fully expecting to see posts in three or four months demanding to know when the first rc will be available...  🙄  )

Let's remember that a lot of Unraid users are not longer running simple NAS boxes on their home LAN's.  When people are using remote access, VM's, and a hosts of other web-based applications, there are a lot more opportunities for security breeches.  Those folks are concerned about CVE's and expect to see patches for them released in a timely manner.  Even if LimeTech's code is bug free, we can probably expect to see a minor release every month or two to deal with those. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, kizer said:

Might I suggest adding a setting to UnRAID where users can be part of Release Candidates or Stable releases. And all new releases have to stay as Release Candidates for 14 days before becoming Stable so issues like what this release fixes can be found by users who want the bleeding edge and so forth.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Pri said:

Might I suggest adding a setting to UnRAID where users can be part of Release Candidates or Stable releases

This is already available under the Update OS tool and has been for a very long time.

20 minutes ago, Pri said:

And all new releases have to stay as Release Candidates for 14 days before becoming Stable so issues like what this release fixes can be found by users who want the bleeding edge

It might make sense to have for their to be a RC out for a period (not sure if it needs to be 14 days) and that a stable release is then made that has NO changes other than the change to the release number.   The problem would be if enough people would run such a RC to show up the problems that were encountered.

• Upvote 2

Upgraded from 6.11.4 to 6.11.5 without any issues except that it still says "Starting services..." on the bottom bar on the GUI dashboard. Can't see anything in the log that hasn't started yet (server's been up for a few hours now) so not sure if it's a graphical bug or not:

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 12.20.19.png

I'll wait another couple of weeks. When I was upgrading from 11.2 to 11.3 i couldn't roll back as unraid halted at boot with the same error as I got after the upgrade, even after a full restore, so that is not always a 100% safety net.

Lets create a "real stable" branch which is auto generated each time we reach the x.y.10 version!

I

• Upvote 1