Unraid OS version 6.11.5 available

limetech

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Assuming you are using btrfs only for the pool(s) you can try clearing the space cache, it should be pretty safe to run but always good to make sure backups are up to date:

I'll try that later if normal boot doesn't work, thanks!. The question is though, why did this happen during an upgrade and why does it persist through downgrades? Am I just that unlucky? (same with @NNate it would seem!)

Looking at the Main page it looks like I am only using btrfs for a cache drive. I don't remember making a filesystem choice when I set this up, but it's been running trouble-free for so long I could have just forgotten and just picked whatever was the default at the time.

Before version 6.11 the Plugin to Spin Down SAS Drives worked just fine. Now my array is online 24/7 and temps are the highest they've ever been. Manually spinning down my array also doesn't seem to spin down all my disks even with all docker containers turned off. I've never experienced this behavior in several years of running the same setup I'm running now.

Edited by DiRiN
Correction after further troubleshooting.

Maybe it`s not the right topic for my critics, but I could not find another better place.

With all my respect to this hole project which I really like:

Could somebody explain why these "beta" releases are pushed that much to public for everyone?

Newsletter and UnraidServer itself pushes me all the time to update.

I´m a bit disappointed getting part of this without being clearly informed that I will be a beta tester and risk my working system every one or two weeks again.

Imho there is missing a clear statement to tell the user what`s the last stable release and where beginns beta.

Naturally I do understand that there needs to be testers and I appriciate that unraid gets developped further, but maybe there is a other way to get the volunteer testers in charge.

Hope you understand that I dont wanna blaim someone for this, but thats how I see the situation at the moment.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

That suggests a plugin issue, uninstall all plugins (or rename all *.plg files) to see if you can find the culprit.

Before rebooting again I noticed that some of the CPUs were always pinned to 100% while stuck waiting for the array to start, and looking at the running processes again pointed to a btrfs issue.

It turns out I had a second btrfs drive, an NVMe SSD which was mounted via Unassigned Devices that I had missed. Booting again in safe mode and clearing the btrfs free space tree in the terminal (as you initially suggested), and rebooting again normally fixed the problem I saw with 6.11.5. The Kernel crash is also gone from the syslog. This also explains why downgrading did not fix the issue...

Looks like I was indeed just that unlucky! :)

Thanks!

bonFbrJ0yJ.png

• Like 1

In case it's important, the problematic drive still had a v1 free space cache, it was created long ago. I looked into converting it to a v2 space cache but that requires recreating the filesystem or tweaking the mount command, so I probably won't bother doing it. My other btrfs drive used for the pool cache was already on v2.

On 11/22/2022 at 8:41 PM, cybrnook said:

Almost at 48 hours on 6.11.5, no issues.

I want to add that in a pinch, I recently moved my install over from my AMD based hardware to an older 1151 socket based intel setup (kaby lake xeon on a supermicro board) and noticed hard freezes in unraid. Unraid wasn't crashing, hence no logs were generated, it was just freezing. I reverted down to 6.10.3 and the system has now been stable for 24 hours. Previously I was seeing freezing anywhere from during boot to maybe 5 minutes after boot, very erratic.

So, in short on AMD based hardware 6.11.x was operating without an issue for me. On Intel based hw the 6.11.x is seemingly freezing.

Edited by cybrnook
4 minutes ago, cybrnook said:

older 1151 socket based intel setup and noticed hard freezes in unraid.

Interesting.  I have two unRAID systems with socket 1151 hardware and neither has experienced any freezes in any version of 6.11.x after I uninstalled the Intel CPU Top and GPU Statistics plugins.  For some reason, they messed with the iGPU causing occasional server freezes.  This happened with 6.10.x and I uninstalled the plugins then but added them back briefly in 6.11.x to test if anything had changed; it had not.

On 11/25/2022 at 4:39 PM, DiRiN said:

On version 6.11.3 the Plugin to Spin Down SAS Drives worked just fine. Now my array is online 24/7 and temps are the highest they've ever been. Manually spinning down my array also doesn't seem to spin down all my disks even with all docker containers turned off. I've never experienced this behavior in several years of running the same setup I'm running now.

I am also running spin-down-sas and it's woking nicely on both 6.11.3 and 6.11.5 too. For your reference.

12 hours ago, francishe said:

I might have come across docker network problem. After updating to 6.11.5 for 2 days I observed the download speed of sabnzbd dropped drastically from 500mbps to around 100. I've downgraded to 6.11.3 and it's downloading at full speed pretty stably.

No issues.  Sab is however pretty much inconsistent all the time due to it being in written in Python instead of C like NZBGet

I upgraded from .3 to .5 today.
my server has rebooted, but i cannot access GUI from any PC (chrome & firefox)
hooking up a  monitor booting into non-GUI mode can see the following.
correct IP.
i could boot into GUI mode, but dont know what i would do.
also, some USB on the back of the mother board stopped working.
flash is obviously working.  computer beeped with no-keyboard error on startup.
had to move the keyboard USB to a different USB controller for it to light up with power again.
4 USB with no power.
image.png.891eb4cbd4e14d725e932871df8a37a9.png

24 minutes ago, TRusselo said:

I upgraded from .3 to .5 today.
my server has rebooted, but i cannot access GUI from any PC (chrome & firefox)
hooking up a  monitor booting into non-GUI mode can see the following.
correct IP.
i could boot into GUI mode, but dont know what i would do.
also, some USB on the back of the mother board stopped working.
flash is obviously working.  computer beeped with no-keyboard error on startup.
had to move the keyboard USB to a different USB controller for it to light up with power again.
4 USB with no power.

diagnostics

That should write the diagnostics file to the flash drive.  Then type:

powerdown

That should power down the server.  (If it doesn't, a quick push of the server power button should.)   The upload the diagnostics file. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Sprort said:

I tried this but nothing of note happened.

I was able to SSH into the system while it's presumably in safe mode, but the GUI isn't available and the OS rebooted to normal after ~6 minutes.

I'm also noticing that none of the new window or in window popups (terminal pop out, updating dialogues, etc.) display any information anymore. They just open up and hang until forcibly closed or the page refreshed.