Unraid OS version 6.11.5 available

limetech

I'm also noticing that none of the new window or in window popups (terminal pop out, updating dialogues, etc.) display any information anymore. They just open up and hang until forcibly closed or the page refreshed.
Try with a new flash drive with a stock Unraid install, no key needed, if the issue persists it's likely browser related, if not it's config related so recreate the flash drive and restore only the minimum config files.

Hey guys, I'm still on 6.10.3 and everything has been running good, i haven't touched my unraid since I did the 6.10.3 update. BUT I don't want it to get too far behind so considering updating to this latest one. I am NOT very knowledgeable about Unraid.....am I likely going to have a smooth transition or will there probably be issues?

Are there things I can do before updating it to help it have a higher chance of not messing up?  I'll make a backup copy of the flash, update all my apps and plugins, run a parity check......is there anything else that might help before updating?

1 hour ago, lurknyou said:

Updated from 6.10.3 to 6.11.5 just now and everything went really smooth.  I had to reinstall nvidia plugin and reboot the server again to get plex to be able to use HW transcoding but that isn't out of the norm for me. 

Thanks again team!

Did you do anything before updating to help ensure it went smooth?

15 minutes ago, SPOautos said:

Did you do anything before updating to help ensure it went smooth?

What I do is to first check to see if there are any updates available for plugins and Dockers. 

Then, I allow the update to occur.  (Basically, download  extract and copy the files to the boot drive...) 

Then I stop the Docker service (  Settings  >>>  Docker ). 

Then (If I had any installed), I would stop any VM's.  

Then, I stop the array. 

At that point, I reboot the server.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, trurl said:

And if you want to be even more careful, disable Autostart in Settings before rebooting.

As I was updating my dockers and plugins something odd happened. As soon as I clicked to update the plugins my gpu fan ramped up to 100% (older Radeon AMD gpu) and I cant seem to get it back down.  Should I try to resolve this before upgrading to 6.11.5 or is it possible that this is happening because I updated a plugin but still on the old 6.10.3 OS, in which case upgrading my Unraid may resolve the issue?

I have a plugin for fan control and a plugin for Radeon gpu's.....neither seem to have any affect on the fan being at 100% as I have tried disableing and enabling them several time.  *I actually completely removed the fan control and Radeon plugins but that did not help anything*

For the record, my gpu is never used, I have never heard my fan running 100%, it just sits there doing nothing and normally if the fan spins at all its very little.....even right now, its doing nothing except spinning the fan wide open.

Thoughts?

Edited by SPOautos
14 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Try with a new flash drive with a stock Unraid install, no key needed, if the issue persists it's likely browser related, if not it's config related so recreate the flash drive and restore only the minimum config files.

I wound up reverting to 6.9.2, the current version wound up breaking a ton of file permissions and screwing with too many things. I might try again later, but for now I'm not going to bother.

Additional storage devices mounted with unassigned devices plugin are being counted toward attached storage devices licensing.

For example, if you have a basic license for up to 6 attached storage devices.
And you have 6 external USB devices attached and mounted via the unassigned devices plugin, you can't start your array because too many drives are present.

Unraid's license terms, article 2 states "Additional storage devices can still be utilized directly with other Unraid features such as Virtual Machines or the unassigned devices plugin."

Is this by design or a bug?

Workaround
Detach the external USB drives, reboot, start the array, reattach drives and mount.

10 minutes ago, Nathan Storms said:

Additional storage devices mounted with unassigned devices plugin are being counted toward attached storage devices licensing.

And you have 6 external USB devices attached and mounted via the unassigned devices plugin, you can't start your array because too many drives are present.

Unraid's license terms, article 2 states "Additional storage devices can still be utilized directly with other Unraid features such as Virtual Machines or the unassigned devices plugin."

Workaround
Detach the external USB drives, reboot, start the array, reattach drives and mount.

This is by design. You can read more here:

https://unraid.net/pricing

Attached storage devices refer to the total number of storage devices you are allowed to have attached to the server before starting the array, not counting the USB Flash boot device. There are no other limitations in the software based on license type.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Sprort said:

I wound up reverting to 6.9.2, the current version wound up breaking a ton of file permissions and screwing with too many things. I might try again later, but for now I'm not going to bother.

What I think happens is :

• either there are files, shares, whatever with bad permissions copied from somewhere
  • and/or you have containers that are not configured properly and actually writing stuff with bad permissions
  • and somehow it still works up to 6.9.x

6.10, 6.11 are probably more strict on permissions and security and show the problems already existing (but not shown by 6.9).

You can stay with 6.9 but I doubt that any future release will magically fix that for you.

At some point, people facing this issue will have to go to the bottom of this and fix it if they want to get over 6.9. Then, I would suggest posting in General support.

6 hours ago, Nathan Storms said:

Workaround

This is by design I am afraid.    All storage devices attached to the server at the point the array is started (except the boot flash drive) are counted for licence purposes regardless of whether Unraid is actively using them.    Once the array is started additional (removable) storage devices can be attached as long as they are removed again before the array next needs starting.

I recently migrated my home server from Proxmox to Unraid to get some more flexibility with regard to storage.

And in that regard I am happy.

But the latest patch issues has me worried. Unraid is a server storage solution, and as such stability (not losing data/uptime) should be king and the number one propriety over anything else.

Coming from Proxmox I never worried about pressing the "update" button, and also never had an issue with it. Rock solid all the way.

But with Unraid I am finding my self now avoiding updates and going for the "if it works, don't change it" mantra instead.

Edited by CptLoRes
5 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

I recently migrated my home server from Proxmox to Unraid to get some more flexibility with regard to storage.

And in that regard I am happy.

But the latest patch issues has me worried. Unraid is a server storage solution, and as such stability (not losing data/uptime) should be king and the number one propriety over anything else.

Coming from Proxmox I never worried about pressing the "update" button, and also never had an issue with it. Rock solid all the way.

But with Unraid I am finding my self now avoiding updates and going for the "if it works, don't change it" mantra instead.

I feel the same way :) I usually allow 6-12 months for all the bugs to iron out and beta test to continue :)

On 11/30/2022 at 8:40 AM, SPOautos said:

Hey guys, I'm still on 6.10.3 and everything has been running good, i haven't touched my unraid since I did the 6.10.3 update. BUT I don't want it to get too far behind so considering updating to this latest one. I am NOT very knowledgeable about Unraid.....am I likely going to have a smooth transition or will there probably be issues?

Are there things I can do before updating it to help it have a higher chance of not messing up?  I'll make a backup copy of the flash, update all my apps and plugins, run a parity check......is there anything else that might help before updating?

Just wanted to comment that my transition from 6.10.3 to 6.11.5 seems to have happened smooth and problem free. I updated all my apps and plugins and for some reason my gpu fan went to 100% when I updated my plugins but I rebooted and it was back to normal. Then I ran the update assistant, it suggested I removed NerdPack since its no longer compatible and I did that then updated the OS. It installed then took 2 minutes to do a clean shut down and reboot and its back up and running. Hopefully it'll continue being as stable as it was on 6.10.3.......its been running continuous since I did the 6.10.3 update and I look forward to it continuing to remain that stable going forward.

Thank you for all you guys advice and such. I couldn't have this server without you guys on the forum.....I don't know jack about computers.....I have no idea how I built this from scratch and use it daily hahaha

Much appreciated!!!

Edited by SPOautos
  • Like 2

Happily running on 6.10.3 for many months and finally updated to 6.11.5 via WebUI.

On reboot, I had no network access to my webUI (192.168.1.199:1234). I attached a display and saw the system was booting as far as the point where my GPU is handed off to the system for VM use. 

I tried booting in safe mode, but the boot process stalled at an AMD VI error (not noted). I could not ssh into the system in either case.

I took the USB to another machine and restored to 6.11.1 from the 'previous' folder.

Now, my system boots and I know it's operational as I see a VM on the GPU and my Kodi clients can access media through Emby Server docker on the system. However, I have the following odd behaviour (all on 6.11.1 after restore from 6.11.5);

• I can successfully SSH into the server as root during the boot process.
  • SSH user seems to be booted out somewhere during the OS startup (so I have ssh access for a very limited time)
  • After startup, no SSH is possible (connection refused)
  • Web GUI is not accessible at any point
  • I can ping the server at any time, and it appears to have started up correctly as VMs and Dockers are operational, but docker UIs are not accessible
  • I can sometimes access shares to mount from machines on the network, but such access needs to be instigated afresh - any previous mounted shares fail and I must (on MacOS), select connect server and enter SMB URL. Even then, connection is very slow to initiate and access is glacial.

I've tried, without success;

• deleting 0kb SSH keys
  • restarting my network router (Unifi USG)
  • restrating unRaid server 

I did manage to manually edit VFIO to remove GPU binding and generated diagnostics in safe GUI mode.

I guess if I can get this figurerd out for 6.10.3, I can apply learnings to 6.11.x

tower-diagnostics-20221203-0535.zip

Edited by meep
managed to get diagnostics

I would suggest booting with a different flash drive with a stock Unraid config, no key needed, if it boots correctly backup and recreate your flash drive, restore only the bare minimum from the config backup, like your key, super.dat and pools folder, docker user templates, then either reconfigure the rest of the server or restore the other config files one or a few at a time until you find culprit.

19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I would suggest booting with a different flash drive with a stock Unraid config, no key needed, if it boots correctly backup and recreate your flash drive, restore only the bare minimum from the config backup, like your key, super.dat and pools folder, docker user templates, then either reconfigure the rest of the server or restore the other config files one or a few at a time until you find culprit.

Thanks. After a frustrating afternoon of troubleshooting and restarts, the root cause has become annoyingly clear.

It seems that the update from 6.10.3 to 6.11.5 caused management access settings to revert defaults, so I lost my custom port and ssh log in ability. Grrrr 

I'm sure this fact is buried in release notes somewhere and there's good reason for it, but it caught me out big time.

It's the first time since the 4.x days that an update has gone somewhat awry, and that includes three complete system hardware swap outs, so all in all, not a bad run.

I'll try the update again later in the week and see how it goes.

Edited by meep
Context
23 minutes ago, meep said:

It seems that the update from 6.10.3 to 6.11.5 caused management access settings to revert defaults, so I lost my custom port and ssh log in ability. Grrrr 

Yeah, you should always try to when possible use the GUI settings instead of a custom go file like you had, of course sometimes it needs to be used for settings that are not available, problem is that it can cause conflicts later when they are introduced.

Testing for that setting being in go was part of  Fix Common Problems, but looks like I removed it since IIRC specifying the port on the command line wasn't supposed to have worked starting 6.9 and 6.9 is the minimum FCP version...  Since it was working, it was a fluke it was working...

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Testing for that setting being in go was part of  Fix Common Problems, but looks like I removed it since IIRC specifying the port on the command line wasn't supposed to have worked starting 6.9 and 6.9 is the minimum FCP version...  Since it was working, it was a fluke it was working...

My go file is likely around 10 years old, so there may be several flukes holding things together!

I opened my dashboard this morning to find out that the Flash drive was corrupted somehow. I followed the instructions on the troubleshooting page and was able to repair the flash drive, and it seems to have fixed the issue. However, fearing it was maybe a bug in 6.11.3, i decided to update to 6.11.5, and now my pihole container is, once again, broken.

You see, I was able to make it work before even though libvirt sets up a dnsmasq server on 192.168.122.1 by adding the "bind-interface" setting to it. But now the problem seems to be different. I don't see port 53 being used, or any port that the pihole container uses (after changing port 80 and 443 to unused ones), yet I still get "address already in use" error when trying to start the container. The main change I see in Unraid happening is that IPVLAN is now being used for new configurations. However, I have an old one and I see that I'm still configure to use MACVLAN, but my thinking is that maybe I need to switch to ipvlan or create an ipvlan network for pihole?

I'm starting to think maybe using pihole on Unraid is not worth it, I'll have to look at actually getting a Raspberry Pi for it.