Unraid OS version 6.11.5 available

limetech

I'm starting to think maybe using pihole on Unraid is not worth it, I'll have to look at actually getting a Raspberry Pi for it.
This is exactly what I eventually did. 

I started with Pi-Hole as a Docker container.  Even though I generally run my server 24x7, if it is down for whatever reason, there is no Pi-Hole for the networked-connected clients.  Of course, they would fall back to Cloudflare (the secondary DNS configured in my router). 

I switched Pi-Hole over to a Raspberry Pi almost 3 years ago where it has happily been running without interruption.  I also recently put WireGuard on the same Raspberry Pi as a fallback for remote LAN access if the UnRAID server with WireGuard is down for whatever reason and I am not home to take care of it.

I do have a Pi-Hole docker container still on unRAID (stopped by default).  I have a dedicated Docker VLAN for all of my containers and also have ipvlan (previously macvlan) configured as the Docker custom network type.  No problems when I start it up on unRAID 6.11.5. Edited by Hoopster
8 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Performance has been similar for all v6.11.x releases, they all use Samba 4.7.x

I have also noticed that throughout the v6.11.x releases that Samba has gotten slower.  Before I used to get a steady 100 MB/s.  Now I get a roller coaster between 70 MB/s and 20 MB/s.  Also, when I transfer over 5 GB in files, it will stall multiple times to 0 MB/s.

Just upgraded from 6.11.1 and lost connectivity to the internet.  I can access UnRaid, but on a terminal I cannot ping outside the local network.  I got my first notification of this when fix common problems reported github was unreachable.

Not sure if this matters, but the mac address changed.  And I didn't move the network cable.

reverting back to 6.11.1 fixed the networking issue.

tower-diagnostics-20221210-1950.zip

Edited by lovingHDTV
On 12/4/2022 at 5:34 PM, Hoopster said:

This is exactly what I eventually did. 

I started with Pi-Hole as a Docker container.  Even though I generally run my server 24x7, if it is down for whatever reason, there is no Pi-Hole for the networked-connected clients.   ......
I switched Pi-Hole over to a Raspberry Pi almost 3 years ago where it has happily been running without interruption.

I'm running two instances of pi-hole, one in unraid, and a second on a pi-zero w.

The pi is generally reliable, but when a wyze cam goes on the fritz and starts a couple of million dns requests to google, it will crash. Having both the pi & a docker version, lets me update without having to worry about any of the clients having dns issues (or having to rely on an outside source.)

1 hour ago, seestray said:

I'm running two instances of pi-hole, one in unraid, and a second on a pi-zero w.

I eventually did the same thing as I realized I could have the unRAID instance be the fallback if the RPi instance is down and unRAID is still up.  I now have DNS in this order:  RPi, unRAID docker, Cloudflare, Google.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:25 AM, Frank1940 said:

What I do is to first check to see if there are any updates available for plugins and Dockers. 

Then, I allow the update to occur.  (Basically, download  extract and copy the files to the boot drive...) 

Then I stop the Docker service (  Settings  >>>  Docker ). 

Then (If I had any installed), I would stop any VM's.  

Then, I stop the array. 

At that point, I reboot the server.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:32 AM, trurl said:

And if you want to be even more careful, disable Autostart in Settings before rebooting.

Thanks to both @Frank1940 and @trurl for these tips/reminders. I successfully upgraded from 6.9.2 to 6.11.5 without issue. I have a fairly simple config - no VMs, for example - but was still a bit concerned making a couple of version jumps.

Cheers!

I tried to upgrade to 6.11.0 a while back and had a lot of problems so reverted back to 6.10.3 - which had been stable for months previous to the upgrade attempt and has been since I reverted.

At the time I assumed this was probably because my hardware is so old  (z-97k i54690k 16GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz) - so I'm just wondering if any "older hardware" bugs have been identified and sorted since 6.11.0 that should give me more confidence to try to upgrade to 6.11.5?

5 hours ago, sdamaged said:

When are we going to be able to move off using highly unreliable flash media for our servers?

The flash drive method of licensing persists for three main reasons (in my opinion):

1) the ability to tie the unRAID license to the GUID of a flash device (although perhaps an SSD serial number may work as well)

2) the portability of the license and configuration to other hardware without re-licensing.  Although doable with an SSD it is not as easy as with a flash drive

3) the ease and cost advantage of replacing/relicensing a new flash drive when needed

I have been using the same flash drive for the 11 years I have been using unRAID and have never needed to replace/relicense.

23 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I have been using the same flash drive for the 11 years I have been using unRAID and have never needed to replace/relicense.

I looked in your sig equipment list but don't see a make/model of flash drive listed unless I'm missing something.

Would be nice to know which flash drive you've found to be reliable over 11 years since you mentioned it.

I've always used the recommended Lexar brand and have found those to be reliable and have also had zero failures with those over the course of about the same number of years.

58 minutes ago, dabl said:

Would be nice to know which flash drive you've found to be reliable over 11 years since you mentioned it.

On my two unRAID servers I have the following:

1) Kingston MobileLite G2 (USB 2.0) card reader with the license/config on an SD card and the syslog on the Micro SD card - 11 years in use

2) Kingston MobileLite G3 (USB 3.0) card reader with the license/config on an SD card and the syslog on the Micro SD card - 5 years in use

Neither is currently available (except maybe on eBay) but since the GUID is associated with the card reader, I can swap cards all I want in the event of card failure, to test configurations, troubleshoot, etc. without the need to relicense.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, sdamaged said:

When are we going to be able to move off using highly unreliable flash media for our servers? Surely there must be a way to switch this over to an SSD? It's rather draconian and i've been through a few flash drives on my server

My 2GB Sandisk Cruiser has been error free since 2009. ;)

It only boots up from it and then it just sits idle for days on end. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just to add some positives, I upgraded from 6.11.1 to 6.11.5 with no apparent issues.

-Basic dockers like Plex working (no VLANS).
-W10 VM with NVIDIA 3060Ti passthrough and some SATA SSD's attached - no issues.

Hardware info (as it is always nice to see people posting good or bad things that have the same or similar hardware to me when I'm browsing!)

-MOBO: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI , Version Rev 1.xx
American Megatrends Inc., Version 1003

-CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5965WX

-RAM: (8x16GB) Micron 16GB DDR4-3200 RDIMM 1Rx8 CL22
(MTA9ASF2G72PZ-3G2R)

-USB/FLASH: SanDisk Cruzer Blade CZ50 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive SDCZ50-016G-AFFP (working since 2019 early with no issues, moved to 3 different server builds with no problems)

Edited by horridwilting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1