System and appdata on disk what I want to remove (disabled)

Marino

Hi,

On of my disks (disk 1) is disabled, because auf read errors. I'ts an old 3 TB WD Green and I want to just remove it, so shrinking the array. But on this disk is the system folder and the appdata folder. docker.img and libvirt.img are in this and flash-backups. Because it is disabled, I cannot just turn docker off and on again and try to recreate it on an other disk.

How should I handle this before removing? I don't want to replace the disk, because my other server hast 12-18TB disks in it and 18TB costs three times the cost of 3TB. It makes no sense to replace it.

I just hat some issues a few month ago with a 3TB WD green which was bought the same time. I bought 4x3TB for a Synology NAS just before they released the red-series. I tried a few things to get it run again, because smart looked good and it failed again. Nothing than work. That's why I want to just remove it.

Here some Data you may need:

Unraid 6.11.3

7 data disks. (3-4TB)

2x 4TB Parity

No Cache drive

Data is backed up and I don't rely on the capacity of that disk

What should I do because of the system and appdata folder before removing? I only use 2 dockers. I could recreate both of them afterwards, when this is helpful to do.

Kind regards

Nils

And it will then automatically move it to another disk? And whats about libvirt.img? Until now I avoided to write anything to the pool.

So you mean I can just strink it in the correct order so that I can remove the disk without reconstruct it to another disk and will not have any problems with libvirt.img or docker?

21 minutes ago, Marino said:

I've been only able to copy and not to move it, because its a disabled disk?!?

Disabled disks in the parity array are emulated by parity and you can work with their files just as if the disk were there.

The likely reason you can't move it is because it is open. Nothing can move open files. To move docker.img you have to disable Docker in Settings, to move libvirt.img you have to disable VM Manager in Settings.

I was able to move it without problems. The emulated disk was not corrupted. I thought emulation only means, that I am able to recreate some data. Just reading not writing.

I already stopped it, created a new config, removed the disk from that am rechecked two times. Now the pool is started again and is rebuilding the parity. I am not trying to see if I may could use the disk again. After removing it from the case I don't hesitate to throw it in the trash.

I bought once 4 3TB drives (WD Green). All of them were failing on me at the same time. The Synology was not recognizing it, although I was testing the disks from time to time... All of them were replaced by WD and now these replaced disks are dying. Now in a few months it is the second disk of four.

For now I have to wait at least 17 hours..

• 3 weeks later...